• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my 2500k bottleneck a gtx 1060 or 1070?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grendel0501

My current rig is getting old. I built it 5 years ago.

Intel 2500k , Cooler Master Hyper 212 Heatsink
16gb Gskill 1600mhz DDR3
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 mobo
GTX 580 gpu :shock:

All at stock clock's.

I want to do a full upgrade, but it looks like I should wait another year to try and get a 4k or Ultrawide 3440x1440 setup. (hoping price goes down and hz go up on the current lineup for UltraWide and 4k monitors, that plus Volta should put those resolutions in a single GPU's reach)

So what can I do for now?
I'm thinking about getting a gtx 1060 or gtx 1070 to hold me over for a year or so. My current monitor is 1080p and only 60hz. So maxing it out shouldn't be that hard.

But the problem I worry I am going to have is going to be a bottleneck created by my older CPU and Ram.

I haven't tried OC'ing this rig, but if I need to I can. I'll need to find a tutorial for my Gigabyte mobo's BIOS.

Am I going to experience a bottleneck if I upgrade to a gtx 1060/1070?

You will bottleneck your max 60Hz monitor, the FPS will shoot up I would purchase the GTX 1070. After comparing the charts at techspot clocking to the i5 2500k 4.0 to 4.5 will give you well past 60FPS so you will be fine. What game do you play?

Last edited:
You will bottleneck your max 60Hz monitor, the FPS will shoot up I would purchase the GTX 1070. After comparing the charts at techspot clocking to the i5 2500k 4.0 to 4.5 will give you well past 60FPS so you will be fine. What game do you play?
I play alittle bit of everything.
Overwatch, Ark Survival, BF4 (soon to be BF1), Batman, etc etc...
Probably add Doom, Just Cause 3 and afew newer titles once I get a better GPU.

I'm trying to fit so many things into my next BIG upgrade that I don't know if I'll actually ever get there.
4K UltraWide at 144hz off a single GPU, thats probably 5 years away from being a reality.

You will like the better GPU a lot I purchased my GTX 970 6 months ago coming from GTX 570, I plays some of those games you have and I won't need a upgrade for 3-5 years. I have a new 1080p no need for me to go 1440p I can barley see the small pixels of my monitor anyway.

Back