• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will this loop work? (H100 mod)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok i think im going to do it for a few simple reasons:

1) im jonezing to customize
2) replacing stock coolant with distilled water = ?improvement?
3) i wont have the money for another radiator/pump/block for months
4) visual effect changes

and then when i get money i can add piece by piece, radiator here, block there, pump some time after etc.. radiator first obviously because i can immediately use that in the loop, the block and pump would probably get purchased at the same time, i wouldnt want to put a pump to this H100 cpublockpump combo device...

plus my kill coil arrived today.. jonezing.

Glad I didn't deter you. Good luck and post pics of the results!

pics of course!

what should i use for anti-corrosive btw? i totally didn't think that would be an issue.. i was going to use a feser fluid but i saw some nasty gunk build up pic's and fail testimonies. the non-conductive liquid part sounded very appealing though.

i have a gallon of distilled water and a silver kill coil.. the reservoir is the XSPC 5.25" single bay (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2184/ex-res-104/XSPC_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_Clear_Silver_Black.html)
so its very small, not much liquid held in there if that makes any difference

Can't use distilled, you must use the antifreeze mix because your rad is aluminum and the cold plate is copper. Alum rads went out of favor long ago.

oh no youre kidding!

cant use it at all? not even with an additive?

Hopefully somebody else can chime in on how well this works but I've heard of people using HydrX in mixed metal loops.

As for that link you posted, seems like the guy wanted to configure his rad in a push config (exhaust) but the RAM got in the way for the one fan, so he settled on pull? Actually, I have no idea why he did this...

sounds like there might be hope then skorpien..

Conumdrum came in and said 'nope, no distilled, cant do it,' and left!

i'm going to read up on this HydrX now thanks!

He just meant that you can't use straight distilled. You can use HydrX or antifreeze and mix it with distilled. Come to think of it, the antifreeze will probably be cheaper. Not sure of the concentration to use though.

What conundrum was saying is you cant use pure distilled, you have to use a mix of antifreeze, as in mix of antifreeze and distilled. (edit, im a slow typist, what skorpien said)

I think the H100 is distilled + propylene glycol (another antifreeze).

Hydryx is antifreeze, ie ethylene glycol.

The best you can do is use an antifreeze product that has concentrated corrosion inhibitors. Since it is the inhibitors in antifreeze that you need.

If you use car antifreeze you will need to run about 40% antifreeze, 60% distilled water to get proper amount of corrosion inhibitors.

However, there are concentrated corrosion inhibitors out there...If you use for example, feser one corrosion blocker, that you can use 50 Mls per 2000mls, so would only be 2.5% antifreeze 97.5% distilled, though I might be inclined to use 5%.

hydryx though looks cheaper, and is concentrated corrosion inhibitor + algaecide, use 6% hydryx, 94% distilled.

Also, you might want to compare the cost of adding corrosion inhibition over time, to just getting a copper rad.

Last edited:
oh I'm getting the copper Rad, just trying to get this going before that time comes..

will this adding stuff ruin my silver coil?

If you run with say 5-10% hydrix you shouldn't need a silver kill coil.

I have run mixes and pure distilled water and have never had algea.

If you run with say 5-10% hydrix you shouldn't need a silver kill coil.

I have run mixes and pure distilled water and have never had algea.

i just got back from microcenter, got their last bottle of HydrX and a sharp cutter to get the tubes off the H100

the bottle says add the whole thing to half a liter of distilled water, the reservoir i have is like 600ml so i'm guessing i just add the whole bottle to my loop when i get it set up, right?

i just got back from microcenter, got their last bottle of HydrX and a sharp cutter to get the tubes off the H100

the bottle says add the whole thing to half a liter of distilled water, the reservoir i have is like 600ml so i'm guessing i just add the whole bottle to my loop when i get it set up, right?

pretty much as easy as that.

horrible news

:mad:

so i took the hoses off the H100 blockpump and connected my own tubes into a tub of water to determine which one was inlet and which one was outlet...

turns out the damn thing wasnt even pushing anything at all... just making noise, gargling water as if it was pushing it, but nothing at all.. i tried for an hour different tricks to get it to push water but it was a joke..

NO WONDER my temps were so high which made me seek this type of modification..

bad news is i dont believe i can do anything about the H100 unit because it was defective and now warranty void i believe by me removing the hoses...

i wont buy another cheapo liquid cooler again.. chalking it up as a learning experience, keeping my xpsc reservoir and going to slowly piece together the rest when funds become available..

for now i have the stock 1100T cooler on there and its whining at 6k RPM :bang head

IMG_20111201_211244.jpg

i got it to push water, it doesnt push alot.. at all.. but its pushing water...

going to see what kind of temps i get with it after leak testing

yea i guess the trick was to basically suck the water thru manually to fill the pump full of water then i put my finger on the end of the tubes to create a vacuum, then i did the same method to fill the radiator full of water then attached everything and filled the reservoir

getting the pump absolutely filled with water i guess was key, it simply doesnt have enough juice to start sucking in from nothing, even when feeding from gravity it just gargles it unless its got vacuum seal or something

i did all the attachments once i knew it was pushing water for sure, and confirmed it by adding the HydrX and watching it travel thru the tubes

also ive completely taken it apart every screw so im comfortable maintaining it in case anything gets clogged in there lol

well post up a pic when it is in your case and some temps! I want to know if it is worth picking up my friends old H50 and doing it.

Back