• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 64 bit Ultimate Install On SSD Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Just trying to install Windows 7 64 bit Ult on a Kingston 60gig SSD I have a Seagate 500gb as a slave and windows installed fine to the ssd no issues. Once I was in windows I changed the page file and index file to the 500gb drive and restarted, at this point I get the "Reboot and select proper device" I don't get what this is.

In the bios I tell it to load up the ssd as the prime drive but it doesn't, I reset the bios settings and just changed the the mode to ACHI and put the cdrom as first boot to reinstall windows. I'm going to see if this solves it but any help on what the issue is please would be much appreciated.

Why did you move those files? Shrink the PF to 2GB and leave it on the SSD. I have never heard of moving the index file for performance or space saving reasons.

Im confused though... what mode was the sata port with the SSD on when you installed the OS? If it was IDE, put it back to IDE. You cannot switch to AHCI post installation without taking some additional steps prior.

Why did you move those files? Shrink the PF to 2GB and leave it on the SSD. I have never heard of moving the index file for performance or space saving reasons.

Im confused though... what mode was the sata port with the SSD on when you installed the OS? If it was IDE, put it back to IDE. You cannot switch to AHCI post installation without taking some additional steps prior.

Everything was set to ACHI mode on Bios from the start but I have fixed it now it turns out that the sata ports I connected the drives too where GSata and was somehow causing the drive to fail and boot after a restart. Once I changed the ports over to the correct ones it now works fine, I moved the page file and index cache because after moving them I freed up space and I have the same setup on my rig below and I have never had an issue with it.

Get a bigger SSD. You are losing some performance by putting that stuff on a HDD. Defeats the purpose a bit.

I also never heard of moving the index file(s). How big are they?

I think your problem is the index files.. I have moved the page file many times and never had a boot issue..

But as ED stated, moving the page file to a slower drive will counter your SSD speeds.

Back