• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 HIGH ram usage at boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arbiter Odie

Hey guys. I've messed up Windows, and I'm totally lost.
As of the past week or two, a fresh boot of Windows 7 looks like this:

Memory Usage Edit.PNG

What?!? Because,

Running Programs.PNG

So, that's the problem in a nutshell. I don't know how to track down the processes and services that are running rampant, and it's really becoming a problem. 7zip needs a smidge more memory space than I can give it now, and crysis 2 throws a memory allocation error if the ram is filled up past a certain point (we're well past it).

I've not installed anything new, as far as I'm aware. I've fiddled with the Tekkit and Hexxit mods for minecraft, but that doesn't count, right?

Mod-R, thank you very much. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding the issue in the massive list of things. Would you please... I'm not even sure what to ask. How am I supposed to tell if the drivers are supposed to be there? ALi mini IDE Driver, Adaptec Windows SAS/SATA Storport Driver, Brotehr Serial I/F Driver... etc.

I don't know what I'm doing. Help!

It's been quite a while, but I felt I should conclude this for anybody else. Who knows where google will bring a troubled user?

I found a program called RAMMap, and it revealed that my ramdisk driver had begun initializing itself upon boot up, something it wasn't supposed to do.

If you ever have an out-of-control ram usage scenario, RAMMap may save you from insanity.
Thank you again, Mod-R, for trying to help me.

Back