• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winbond DDR memory testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I've recently started testing out some Winbond DDR memory.

BH-5
First set I tested was Kingston-branded an ran at DDR500 with 2-2-2-10-1T timings @ 3.17V (I basically went with what I was told this set had done before, and then pushed the envelope to see if I could get it any higher.)

Second set I tested was Corsair 2x512MB PC3500C2's and ran at DDR480-498 with 2-2-2-6-1T timings @ 3.09V (Got a blue screen at DDR500, probably needs either more voltage or looser timings.) (These are rated to 2.5-3-3-8 and 2.5-4-4-8 @ DDR400, respectively (i.e. they are not from the same lot).) Second run brought DDR520 with 2.5-2-2-6-1T timings @ 3.33V. Memtest stable at DDR500 2-2-2-6-1T @ 3.22V.

Third set (Corsair 2x256MB PC3500C2) DDR520 with 2.5-2-2-6-1T timings @ 3.33V.

UTT
From my initial testing of a Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT v1.5 (according to Corsair's forum these are BH-5-based UTT) set I got 2-2-2-4-1T timings @ 3V. This might be one of those famed CL1.5 sets, since it's from right around that era. I haven't actually tested it for CL1.5 yet though. Edit: wouldn't boot with CL1.5, ended up locking the system up and not POST'ing.

Second round of testing on the same set brought DDR480 with 2-2-2-10-1T timings @ 3.22V.

BH-5 is looking much better in terms of the voltage required for the performance gained.

To anyone else who has experience with overclocking and tweaking Winbond DDR memory, please feel free to post suggestions for tweaking this memory or post your own Winbond memory overclocks. :)

Last edited:
Just do a search on the the forums here, as there have been hundreds of posts related to BH5 overclocking over the years.

Last edited:
Just do a search on the the forums here, as there have been hundreds of posts related to BH5 overclocking over the years.

Ah yes, the fallback answer of someone that has no answer to the question being asked, use the search function. That's not particularly helpful you know.

I looked, couldn't find many. Most of what I found seemed to be relating to people wanting to know if the memory they'd bought was BH-5 or UTT. Not finding a lot of info on specific overclock settings though.

Last edited:
Need to test out my Mushkin XP3500 Redline sticks, among everything else.

I hear they're a sweet set of UTT to have, or were back when UTT was popular (I don't know if it still is).

I think I may have figured out my problem on the UTT Corsair sticks. They're rated at DDR400 with 2.5-3-3-8 timings, so 2-2-2-6 might be a stretch for them, as I was having to run them with 3V just to keep them from crashing or locking up at the desktop when using 2-2-2-6 timings. I also might not have been giving them enough voltage. Then again, they might not even be Winbond UTT chips, I haven't after all looked at the chips themselves (heat spreaders over them).

I'm seeing impressive results, getting massive bandwidth scores now.

I'm over 7.7GB/s of bandwidth at DDR520 2.5-2-2-6-1T.

None of my TCCD sticks have even come close to these scores, maybe 7.2GB/s at best when I hit DDR600 or greater.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the fallback answer of someone that has no answer to the question being asked, use the search function. That's not particularly helpful you know.

I looked, couldn't find many. Most of what I found seemed to be relating to people wanting to know if the memory they'd bought was BH-5 or UTT. Not finding a lot of info on specific overclock settings though.

Relax there bud, the answer you're looking for is ancient and there is only a few people that experienced it still around. Any and every question you have, have been answered ages ago in huge threads about these chips, they came out in the tail end of the DDR cycle and not for very long either.

Back