• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Pro OEM and Office 2016 Lifetime Keys at Up To 92% Off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In my experience, when I've purchased these Windows OS Product keys with steep discounts (like $9.99 on ebay or something) and did not use them right away they turned out not to be valid for activation. I wold be leery of scarfing up a bunch of these for future builds. They may be good to activate if used within a few days but don't wait long.

In my experience, when I've purchased these Windows OS Product keys with steep discounts (like $9.99 on ebay or something) and did not use them right away they turned out not to be valid for activation. I wold be leery of scarfing up a bunch of these for future builds. They may be good to activate if used within a few days but don't wait long.

This, combined with recent spam, leads me to believe I'm not far, if at all, off on my speculation.

i hope this isn't the case lol i grabbed a few for future use.

I'd be MUCH more leary of getting cheap keys off ebay than sites like this...a valid worry either way, but mentioning ebay and cheap OSs there is more risk there I would imagine.

Always use an email address that you don't care gets spammed, when you make these kinds of purchases.

bleh, i bought 2 and have nothing to put them on. hoping they will still be legit when i finally have a rig to install them on.

bleh, i bought 2 and have nothing to put them on. hoping they will still be legit when i finally have a rig to install them on.

ooh this reminds me, it might be time to upgrade my main rig from home to pro i didnt think of that! thanks!

If I get a few I can easily enough breadboard a few motherboards I have laying around and lock in the product keys. My concern is someone down the road validating the same key and "confirming" the original install is null and void. One of the reasons I like to own physical media. If I have the disc, packaging and product key it's going to be hard to say I'm not the legitimate user.

If I get a few I can easily enough breadboard a few motherboards I have laying around and lock in the product keys. My concern is someone down the road validating the same key and "confirming" the original install is null and void. One of the reasons I like to own physical media. If I have the disc, packaging and product key it's going to be hard to say I'm not the legitimate user.

i dont know if you can still do it, but last i tried you can still do the old fashioned call the number and give them the install code thats like 50 digits long and they give you an activation code that way if your key becomes compromised. ive done it with windows 10 and server 2012 r2

i dont know if you can still do it, but last i tried you can still do the old fashioned call the number and give them the install code thats like 50 digits long and they give you an activation code that way if your key becomes compromised. ive done it with windows 10 and server 2012 r2

Yes, you can still do that.

I've done it before when I changed too many parts at once (CPU died, socket obsolete, necessitated DDR2 to DDR3, etc..), I just never used it gfor this particular question. I haven't done a phone activation in a few years, but at the time I didn't have the original install media, just a product key, which brings it around to the original concern. Unless you're talking about a different procedure?

I've done it before when I changed too many parts at once (CPU died, socket obsolete, necessitated DDR2 to DDR3, etc..), I just never used it gfor this particular question. I haven't done a phone activation in a few years, but at the time I didn't have the original install media, just a product key, which brings it around to the original concern. Unless you're talking about a different procedure?

You don't really need the original media these days as you can download the software for free. You just need the product key to activate. Truth be told though, like you I'm old school and would much rather retain a copy of the media.

The original media is irrelevant here..that is proof of having a disk....not that it was purchased legit. :)

You don't really need the original media these days as you can download the software for free. You just need the product key to activate. Truth be told though, like you I'm old school and would much rather retain a copy of the media.

The original media is irrelevant here..that is proof of having a disk....not that it was purchased legit. :)
here is my media (legit from m$$$$$$$$$$$). It's 2018 2019 what even are optical disks? LOL
7dd7a8bbb3704c661e10bc3eca4ec322.png

you can just put your serial into their website and it spits out an ISO for you which is nice, you can then use their usb tool to put that onto a usb drive, or if you wanna get technical about it you can bootup a PXE server and install your os's via LAN which is what i do i dont touch physical media anymore unless the machine doesnt support pxe boot.

the best part, atleast the experience ive had with windows 10, is what ever iso you are using if you put in another version's serial (pro, home, ect) it automatically changes the install over to that version which is nice.

Last edited:
I purchased a Win 10 pro key from urcdkey last night and immediately installed it on a customer build last night. I used a USB installer I made using Media Creation Tool. I did the install first and then added in the activation key from urcdkey. Took it right away. No phone call necessary.

Last edited:
I purchase a Win 10 pro key from urcdkey last night and immediately installed it on a customer build last night. I used a USB installer I made using Media Creation Tool. I did the install first and then added in the activation key from urcdkey. Took it right away. No phone call necessary.
thats how it went for me last year when i bought a key from scdkey. they actually emailed me a picture of the win10pro label.

I was actually referring to having the disc and packaging with attached product key. If I have the the product key sticker to go along with the disc and my receipt (yes, I keep all receipts) then M$ will activate it for me or pay someone to talk to me on the phone until they do.

Let's back up and punt here, guys. My original question-Where do these outfits get these product keys? Pretty sure I now know based on the spammer who showed up in this thread recently. That makes my question about the lifespan of "stored" keys valid.

Pretty sure I now know based on the spammer who showed up in this thread recently. That makes my question about the lifespan of "stored" keys valid.
lol, I highly doubt that. Correlation is not.........

OK, then where do online sellers out of places like Vietnam and Russia get thousands of "discount" product keys? M$ is selling them to these guys for $5 each? Why would they do that? They can (and do) sell product keys for over 25x that amount online. Why undercut themselves that severely? Makes no sense.

Note these product keys are OEM. Microsoft's EULA actually forbids the sale of OEM licenses to non OEMS, ie: at the consumer level. This was explained to me by M$ when I had to phone activate my first Windows 7-"Technically, they aren't allowed to sell you that" was what she said, followed by "We don't have to activate your key, but I'll do it for you under the circumstances". (Bought a bare bones from Tiger Direct). They are only supposed to be used for pre builts because the manufacturer is supposed to provide tech support. That's why the discount. I'm not trying to wizz in everyone's Cheerios on this, and I have in fact bought a discount product key online before, but it's shady. No ifs, ands, or buts. If Microsoft wanted to invalidate every OEM key sold through these places they could, and do so on solid legal ground. The sellers are in violation of Microsoft's EULA.

Back