• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Pro OEM and Office 2016 Lifetime Keys at Up To 92% Off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Incredibly, Windows 8 key is available for purchase.
Unless you have a specific Windows 10-only program you are using, I would think twice about buying a Windows 10 key for a new system when Windows 8 route is available at least until 2023.

With classic shell, http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/ there is no downside to it and the upside is that there are no nightmare scenarios with updates like there have been [regularly] with Windows 10.
There are no forced Windows 8 updates, only when you want to.
As a bonus, Windows 8 updates are not like new OS installs, which is essentially what happens at least twice a year with Windows 10: *all* your customizations are reset.
Unless you have a specific Windows 10-only program you are using... why go the Windows 10 route when the next four years are just going to be the same as the last four years: everyone who uses Windows 10 is a Beta tester. With everything that goes with it, twice a year, you are risking your personal system just like a true Beta tester, for Microsoft.

In 2023, when Windows 8 ends, I believe Microsoft will change the beta-testing approach because businesses will not allow the twice a year mandatory new OS install, so that's when it will be time to go the Windows 10 route. Until then - why not let everyone else continue to Beta test Windows 10 for four more years.
Personally, I am grateful for every Windows 10 user who is making sure that Windows 10 will finally be ready and stable in four years.

Would just disabling the updates be best? Both 8 and 10 need serious UI work to be functional but automatic updates seems to be the issue. I also feel like support for 10 would be more mainstream so you would have an easier time with googling.

I use an application named ShutUp10 which works well for my needs. I don't have any interface issues with 10, but that app can stop the forced updates and a few other annoyances. Its been pretty stable and hasn't borked anything in the year or two I've had it (used on 3 PCs).

Would just disabling the updates be best? Both 8 and 10 need serious UI work to be functional but automatic updates seems to be the issue. I also feel like support for 10 would be more mainstream so you would have an easier time with googling.

In Settings, you can disable Windows 10 for 40 days at a time I think.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Incredibly, Windows 8 key is available for purchase.
Unless you have a specific Windows 10-only program you are using, I would think twice about buying a Windows 10 key for a new system when Windows 8 route is available at least until 2023.

With classic shell, http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/ there is no downside to it and the upside is that there are no nightmare scenarios with updates like there have been [regularly] with Windows 10.
There are no forced Windows 8 updates, only when you want to.
As a bonus, Windows 8 updates are not like new OS installs, which is essentially what happens at least twice a year with Windows 10: *all* your customizations are reset.
Unless you have a specific Windows 10-only program you are using... why go the Windows 10 route when the next four years are just going to be the same as the last four years: everyone who uses Windows 10 is a Beta tester. With everything that goes with it, twice a year, you are risking your personal system just like a true Beta tester, for Microsoft.

In 2023, when Windows 8 ends, I believe Microsoft will change the beta-testing approach because businesses will not allow the twice a year mandatory new OS install, so that's when it will be time to go the Windows 10 route. Until then - why not let everyone else continue to Beta test Windows 10 for four more years.
Personally, I am grateful for every Windows 10 user who is making sure that Windows 10 will finally be ready and stable in four years.

Personally, I'm a fan of the biannual reinstall of Windows 10 that Microsoft calls Feature updates. It always breaks stuff and generates business for me.

I just used PayPal and got a Windows 10 Pro cd key in a couple of minutes. I paid through PayPal with no issues. I did get a text from PayPal asking if I had just signed in from another location, but I forgot I was logged in to PIA VPN at the time, so that explained it. I am doing a new build, so I'll let you know if the key works in a bit.

They claim they're authorized by M$, though. Why would The Beast Of Redmond hack them?
FTR, they are not authorized by MS and it is not legal in the US to sell unused volume licenses. Only the entire bundle can legally be sold and it must remain intact. There is an exception but it is very limited. For example, an accredited institute of learning (university, for example) can buy a volume license and sell individual licenses to registered students and currently employed faculty of that school.

Think about it for a second. If this were legal, why don't Best Buy, NewEgg, Office Depot, Amazon, Walmart, Mom&Pop Computers, Bubba's Corner Tobacco & Bait Shop buy 10,000 unit volume licenses and sell them off individually?

If it sounds too good to be true... .

Just because something may be unenforceable, that does not make it legal.

In the EU, there is still an on-going debate in the courts over this but there is a general and growing consensus globally (especially in light of the rampant counterfeiting and piracy going on in China) to protect IPR (intellectual property rights) and that includes software.

This really is little more than buying a new Avengers blue-ray in a dark alley for $5. Can you get away with it? Most likely. Is it right? Let your conscience be your guide. I don't walk on water so it is not my place to judge.

Me? I would rather pay regular price from a truly authorized distributor, have a clean conscience (and set a good example for my grandkids) and be certain some time down the road my Windows won't suddenly lock up with a notice saying it is "non-genuine". I mean is $100 really an outrageous price to pay for a 100% legal and lifetime license for W10? I don't think so.

If the budget is that restrictive right now, and I sure can appreciate that, I recommend one of the many capable and *FREE* and totally legal Linux alternatives.

.... and be certain some time down the road my Windows won't suddenly lock up with a notice saying it is "non-genuine".

This happened to me with a copy of Win7 Pro at a local computer repair shop. MS said 'sorry that key is pirated' and the store said ' take it up with MS'. They did make a couple of flaccid gestured at mitigation, but I still ended up moving to (mostly) Linux and learned to live without my $100. Also learned not to give MS anymore money

Also learned not to give MS anymore money
I think many tend to look at successful companies as evil empires. And no doubt Microsoft execs and marketing weenies have come up with some evil, monopolistic schemes in the past deserving of consumers' wrath. But I personally think Microsoft is playing very fair these days when it comes to W10. I mean they gave all W7 and W8.1 users an opportunity to get it for free for a whole year. In the past, you had to pay for upgrades. And today, you can get a genuine 64-bit W10 Pro license for $150. I remember paying $180 for XP Pro back in the day, and that was on sale from $200.

and the store said ' take it up with MS'.
Sadly, some stores and some repair techs gave many other repair techs a bad name. A customer would bring a computer in for repair and the shop would reinstall the OS. But instead of using the key already owned by the customer for that copy of Windows, they would use a key they had laying around in the shop. Some times that was no problem, other times the copied key would trigger a "non-genuine" license error. That's why whenever a client brought a computer into my shop, I insisted they bring in the key too. That said, builders are supposed to attach the key sticker to the machine - but many home and custom builders don't.

Anyway, those customers would end up blaming Microsoft when in reality, it was the shop that entered the wrong key who was at fault.

Sadly, some stores and some repair techs gave many other repair techs a bad name. A customer would bring a computer in for repair and the shop would reinstall the OS. But instead of using the key already owned by the customer for that copy of Windows, they would use a key they had laying around in the shop. Some times that was no problem, other times the copied key would trigger a "non-genuine" license error. That's why whenever a client brought a computer into my shop, I insisted they bring in the key too. That said, builders are supposed to attach the key sticker to the machine - but many home and custom builders don't.

Anyway, those customers would end up blaming Microsoft when in reality, it was the shop that entered the wrong key who was at fault.
I absolutely think MS is an evil empire... But not for my Win7 key :D

In this case I'm just a little burned up that I couldn't get this resolved through proper channels. MS didn't care that I had a receipt or that the person had clearly identified themselves as an 'authorized retailer' of Windows liscences. All that mattered to them was that I had no COA. Live and learn I guess. It was my first Windows purchase on the first system I had built. Now if I need Windows I know I also need a COA

Just a quick side point : I didn't bring them my machine. I bought Windows at the store and was emailed a key. That's why I won't mess with Windows unless it has a COA

I sympathize with your problems there. I saw it many times.

Sadly, anybody can claim to be an authorized retailer. That does not really mean they are one. You typically have to be a Microsoft Partner to be authorized.

The problem with thinking Microsoft is an evil empire is some feel that gives them the right to rip Microsoft off. Doesn't work that way. The fact is, Microsoft (which is a publicly owned company) lost and loses $billions in lost sells due to piracy. Just as shoplifting at your local grocery store costs you and me in higher grocery prices, piracy ends up costing us all more in software prices too. Without the proper key/COA, Microsoft has no way of knowing that copy or that caller are legitimate. And unfortunately, that are many unscrupulous people who know they are wrong trying to rip MS off every day.

I won't argue that some aspects of Microsoft's business and marketing policies are (or at least seem) evil. But those decisions and policies are made by a small handful of people at the very top. The vast majority of MS employees are just poor slobs trying to feed and shelter their families like the rest of us.

And btw, another problem - in terms of perception - with some of the marketing schemes and executive decisions Microsoft has made is some relate that directly with the products Microsoft makes. The facts are, the developers at MS (that is, the folks who are in the trenches doing the actual work) are truly top notch, dedicated programmers. As such, contrary to what many want us to believe, Microsoft products, including W10, Office, WD and others are top notch products too. But because some don't trust the company, they automatically feel the products cannot be trusted either. That is not a fair or valid conclusion. IF MS did have a true monopoly on operating systems, office productivity suites, and anti-malware programs, as examples, then, maybe, the products could not be trusted either. But that is not the case - and MS knows that very well. Even those marketing and execs too.

FTR, they are not authorized by MS and it is not legal in the US to sell unused volume licenses. Only the entire bundle can legally be sold and it must remain intact. There is an exception but it is very limited. For example, an accredited institute of learning (university, for example) can buy a volume license and sell individual licenses to registered students and currently employed faculty of that school.

Think about it for a second. If this were legal, why don't Best Buy, NewEgg, Office Depot, Amazon, Walmart, Mom&Pop Computers, Bubba's Corner Tobacco & Bait Shop buy 10,000 unit volume licenses and sell them off individually?

If it sounds too good to be true... .

Just because something may be unenforceable, that does not make it legal.

In the EU, there is still an on-going debate in the courts over this but there is a general and growing consensus globally (especially in light of the rampant counterfeiting and piracy going on in China) to protect IPR (intellectual property rights) and that includes software.

This really is little more than buying a new Avengers blue-ray in a dark alley for $5. Can you get away with it? Most likely. Is it right? Let your conscience be your guide. I don't walk on water so it is not my place to judge.

Me? I would rather pay regular price from a truly authorized distributor, have a clean conscience (and set a good example for my grandkids) and be certain some time down the road my Windows won't suddenly lock up with a notice saying it is "non-genuine". I mean is $100 really an outrageous price to pay for a 100% legal and lifetime license for W10? I don't think so.

If the budget is that restrictive right now, and I sure can appreciate that, I recommend one of the many capable and *FREE* and totally legal Linux alternatives.

Is an OEM license the same as a volume license or a type of volume license? At the private school I support we have purchase volume licenses for using Windows on the school's computers. When I have purchased keys from software discount online merchants like Kinguin.net they are OEM products.

And as fare as being unenforceable, I don't know that I buy that line of reasoning. Kinguin.net has been in business for some years. It's out there on the internet for Microsoft to see or anyone else. If this is an illegal activity, why has Microsoft not closed them down?

Last edited:
The OEM keys are probably legitimately purchased keys, it's the resale of them that's marginal due to Microsoft's licensing. MS does not, however, have to provide the disc/packaging to the OEM, so the price is much lower along with a bulk discount. That's why OEMs like Dell charge extra (in most cases) for the physical media. You're taking a chance with a third party sourced OEM key, but a slim one. Who's to say you didn't build a computer for someone and make yourself the OEM? If MS were that interested in shutting down OEM key sales they probably have the resources to do so. Microsoft's revenue streams have been moving away from consumer OS sales for a while anyway and they sell the OEM keys-so they got the revenue they expected. The buyer doesn't get a year of MS support so that costs MS nothing, as well. Using the key outside its intended purpose is a marginal violation of MS licensing but selling it probably isn't.

Is an OEM license the same as a volume license or a type of volume license?
Yes and no. An OEM license is 1 license. Volume license may be 10, 100, 1000 or even more. OEM license must stay with the original equipment. Volume licenses typically can be used however the company wants to, as long as they don't exceed the number allowed and the licenses stay "in house".

In any case, the program is the same.

Alaric said:
MS does not, however, have to provide the disc/packaging to the OEM, so the price is much lower along with a bulk discount.
That's one reason they are cheap the other is the "System Builder" is on the hook for 1 year of technical support, not Microsoft. So when you build your own, you become the official tech support person for the OS. If you want MS support, you have to pay extra for it.

With a full retail package, you get 1 year free support from MS.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

And as fare as being unenforceable, I don't know that I buy that line of reasoning. Kinguin.net has been in business for some years. It's out there on the internet for Microsoft to see or anyone else. If this is an illegal activity, why has Microsoft not closed them down?
Microsoft does not have law enforcement authority.

And frankly, Congress and the EU are behind the curve on licensing laws too. And where is Kinguin anyway? While their domain may be registered in Arizona, why are their prices in Euros? Where would MS take them to court. Every country in the world? It just is not as easy as you think. And again, if legit, why doesn't Amazon and NewEgg sell them at those low prices?

Please make no mistake. I wish I was wrong on this but I am afraid I am not. I have had several jobs where I had to know and comply with this. I was the Network Manager for a major US Air Force Base and software audits was part of my job - as was responsible spending of tax payer money - which, believe it or not, most in the military take very seriously. No $600 hammers on my watch. ;)

After I retired from the AF, I went to work for 10 years with a major defense software developer supporting the State of Nebraska, the DoD and US State Dept networks where again, I had to ensure all IPR laws and license terms were adhered with.

And when I retired again and opened my own IT Consulting shop, I again had to ensure I was complying with those term - in fact, my liability insurance made sure of it too. And I was a Microsoft MVP for 11 years where I learned of this.

So over and over again I have had this discussion and it is always the same conclusion. Volume licenses cannot be broken out and sold individually and that's what is happening here. While MS does not have the authority to shut down Kinguin, they can shut down the software people buy from them. And it is not just MS either. The game makers and other app makers are in the same boat.

Some good points, Bill. I wondered about the international thing in regards to Kinguin as well. But I'm not sure it is the case that you cannot sue an international entity. Microsoft has attempted/is attempting prosecution in some European countries. My take is they are just not particularly interested in doing so in this case. It would seem this is more of a threat to retailers selling MS products.

Back