• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 OEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amddork

Registered
I am currently running a version of Windows 7 that a I will probably not be able to transfer in my build *cough* *cough*, anyways I'm wanting to go legit this time and Newegg offers 2 versions of Windows 7 OEM and personal.
-
Now I understand that OEM can only be installed on one computer, does that mean that when you replace your hardware, You have to buy it again?
-
I read that you can buy the personal version and you can install it on as many computers as you want but only one at a time, isn't that the same as the previous statement?
-
Any help on making this any clearer would be very appreciated. Thank you.

OEM is technically tied to the motherboard you install it on. It won't invalidate after you replace some parts, but it might after several upgrades over time.

Usually if you just call Microsoft and explain that you were just upgrading parts, they'll reactivate it for you.

OEM is the "system builders" license, basically made for us and companies like Dell and HP, who build systems.

I read that you can buy the personal version and you can install it on as many computers as you want but only one at a time, isn't that the same as the previous statement?
That is retail version. You might be able to install it up to 3 pc's. From Windows 95 to Windows Vista, retail version can be installed in many pc's as you want, but Microsoft get rid of it in Windows 7.

Back