• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Page File Size

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mousikanos1

Registered
Hey guys, I was wondering IF there is a recommended amount of MB on which I should set my Page File Size on Windows 7? Computer has SSD in it and runs with 128GB RAM :)

Many thanks in advance!

I would do like 1 or 2 gb. pagefile just in case. Even though you have more than enough ram to go without it, some programs still *need* pagefile to operate properly.

Man. I love this forum. The response times here are SECOND to none! So shall I go for 1024MB for MIN and 2048 for MAX ? :)

It's better to do a certain fixed size; that way it won't get increased causing fragmentation to pagefile. (although on SSD it isn't likely to cause performance issues anyways)

You can use PageFileUsage Monitor to keep tabs on how much the PF is actually using, though if your Windows uptimes/sessions are relatively 'normal' (less than a month!) and you don't completely hammer them with software that's designed to use the PF (even MS Office programs and Notepad!) you should be fine, barring huge memory leaks, with 1 or 2GB fixed size.

There's even a a Hotfix for W7 that enables W7 to create a memory dump file without a page file.

See if you can shrink the Windows partition to allow ~25% unallocated space to ensure Trim has plenty of space to work to prevent the SSD bogging down over time and check that Trim is actually Active with Hard Disk Sentinel.

Current 7 day uptime stats here w/16GB/3x1GB fixed PF:
16:29:13 on 26 May 2018
Pagefile: C:\pagefile.sys
InitialSize: Not specified
MaximumSize: Not specified
Current Pagefile Usage: 88 MB
Session Peak Usage: 379 MB
Current Pagefile Size: 1024 MB
Pagefile: D:\pagefile.sys
Current Pagefile Usage: 80 MB
Session Peak Usage: 380 MB
Pagefile: F:\pagefile.sys
Current Pagefile Usage: 85 MB
Session Peak Usage: 382 MB

When Windows calls for paging, it should use the first drive to 'respond', usually the one with less load but I've never noticed a big difference in the usage per drive, it might be that Windows actually uses some form of duplication or leveling in their algorithm.

If you do run out of PF, the first program to ask for more than is currently available will silently crash, though in my testing that seems to happen when PF usage would have crossed a 'red line' at ~92% full.

- - - Updated - - -

You can use PageFileUsage Monitor to keep tabs on how much the PF is actually using, though if your Windows uptimes/sessions are relatively 'normal' (less than a month!) and you don't completely hammer them with software that's designed to use the PF (even MS Office programs and Notepad!) you should be fine, barring huge memory leaks, with 1 or 2GB fixed size.

There's even a a Hotfix for W7 that enables W7 to create a memory dump file without a page file.

See if you can shrink the Windows partition to allow ~25% unallocated space to ensure Trim has plenty of space to work to prevent the SSD bogging down over time and check that Trim is actually Active with Hard Disk Sentinel.

When Windows calls for paging, it should use the first drive to 'respond', usually the one with less load but I've never noticed a big difference in the usage per drive, it might be that Windows actually uses some form of duplication or leveling in their algorithm.

If you do run out of PF, the first program to ask for more than is currently available will silently crash, though in my testing that seems to happen when PF usage would have crossed a 'red line' at ~92% full.

Well, I use it to load a software called Vienna Ensemble Pro which ultimate works a like an internal host of sounds / samples which are loaded on to the RAM. Sometimes the template will reach 70GB of RAM usage. Is this consider a hammering of the RAM?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I use it to load a software called Vienna Ensemble Pro which ultimate works a like an internal host of sounds / samples which are loaded on to the RAM. Sometimes the template will reach 70GB of RAM usage. Is this consider a hammering of the RAM?

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 49
70/128GB isn't hammering - but watch out for memory leaks, esp. with any changes - of anything. TaskMan is the first thing I open at Boot, I use it to check my Windows boot time (13 seconds - LOL, uptimes can be in excess of a month!) and I leave it open to keep an eye on all the basics for possible anomalies.

Back