• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALIENZ!

Registered
Hey everyone, I had a quick question for you guys...

I am currently building a new computer from mostly new parts, but I'm scavenging a couple of things from another computer. One of the parts I'm using from said computer is the hard drive. Not all of my parts have arrived yet, but I want to get a head start on the build. I'm also installing the OS from a USB drive, but that shouldn't make any difference.

My question is this: can I install the operating system using the older computer and then swap the hard drive into the new computer and start using it right away?

I'm not sure if there will be an issue with the difference in hardware between the two computers. If anyone could give me some insight, that would be great.

Thanks!

You can.. and it SHOULD work just fine. However its not the cleanest way to do it. I recommend a fresh install, but this will(should) work in a pinch.

What mobo are you coming from and going to?

You can.. and it SHOULD work just fine. However its not the cleanest way to do it. I recommend a fresh install, but this will(should) work in a pinch.

What mobo are you coming from and going to?

Going from a pretty old ASUS board (I think it's a 775 socket) to an ASRock Extreme3 970 (socket AM3+).

I guess I'll just wait and install it once all the parts come in. I don't want to have any potential complications during setup.

Yeah, I would wait.. Intel to AMD or vice versa may have more issues than INtel to Intel or AMD to AMD.

Back