• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Defender turns off and will not turn back on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Hey guys, I have an odd issue going on with my home system. I noticed that Windows Defender real protection was disabling on its own, and than would not turn back on with manual enable. I installed Malware-bytes and scanned my system: nothing. A few days later, Malware-bytes could no longer enable its web real-time protection service. Again same issue, forced enable would do nothing. So I uninstalled it and got a 30day free trial of Norton delux and did a scan. It didn't find much, and so far seems to be working just fine for right now.

Anyone ever run into this situation before? It sounds like I have a pretty nasty worm growing in my system.

I'd agree with the last part. If multiple AV apps are exhibiting the same behavior, I'd venture a guess as well you are infected.

SOunds like a good time for a fresh install.

Safe mode, no networking, run Malwarebytes. If it won't run at that point, nuke the OS.

Yeah all safe-mode scans have yielded no viruses. Just the standard cookies.

You realize most people would consider your problem as a good thing [emoji23]

Time to use backups. I use Veeam Agent for windows 'cause reinstalling is a major pita. BTW, so much for defender eh?
Sysinternals autoruns should be able to pinpoint the culprit/s however. These types of things always run at boot.

If it is something that is not physically impractical, I'd get a 2nd known clean system, fully updated with AV etc. Put the suspect OS drive on that as a secondary, and use that system to scan.

Have you tried a boot time scanner like that offered by Bitdefender?

I ended up reformating my main drive and fresh installing Windows for safe measures. It was defintley a very secretive virus that didn't want to come out.

Now would be a splendid time to change any important passwords, chances are someone nabbed them all.

The behavior you are describing may occur if a third party program is installed or there are remnants of a third party program installed.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

Have you tried the steps recommended in Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10 to include running the software removal tools for any security software (AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot?

I used WD and had no complaints regarding the program. But You may prefer to install a third party antimalware program (which should disable Windows Defender) and you’ll no longer be concerned with the various issues that intermittently affect Windows Defender on Win 10.

Back