• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Not Detecting CD Drives HELP !!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

I just built a new box today with the following components:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Abit NF7-S v2.0
Corsair XMS PC3200 512MB
WD 120GB HDD
Pioneer DVD-RW
Lite-On CD-RW
Floppy Drive
ATI Radeon 9600 128mb

Now, for the problem:

I got windows xp pro installed about 2 hours ago and started downloading critical updates. I don't know at what point but at some point BOTH of the CD/DVD drives stopped being detected. I installed XP off off of one of the cd drives and also installed a couple of programs from the other drive so I know that they both are functioning perfectly. Now I go into my computer and both optical drives just aren't there. Device manager detects the drives, though, so I know that the IDE cables aren't flawed. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Went to device manager and uninstalled both optical drives. Upon XP restarting, it detected both drives but didn't install drivers automatically like it usually does.
2. Went to device manager and uninstalled Nvidia IDE drivers and restarted. Once again, XP detected the drives but they're still not showing up in my computer.

The drives have power and open/close fine, but I can't get them to work in Windows!!!!!! Any help please????

EDIT: More info...when I go to the add/remove hardware wizard the 2 drives are right there but have the exclamation mark by them like they're not installed. When I click to install them I get this message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Last edited:
Perhaps your ACPI driver got jacked up, have you attempted system restore? It might be as simple as just pushing "Update driver"

Ultam8um said:
Perhaps your ACPI driver got jacked up, have you attempted system restore? It might be as simple as just pushing "Update driver"

I tried updating the driver, but it tells me that the driver that is used is good enough and another one will not be installed. After hours of not getting anywhere I just reformatted the HDD and everything's working fine now.

Everything, that is, except that Norton Antivirus 2004 never starts up with auto protection on. Every single time WinXP starts up I have tou double click the Norton Antivirus icon in the taskbar and enable auto protection. The kicker is that the option is enabled in options to start with auto protect enabled lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

like mrgreenjeans said. CHECK THE CABLES. I've had this hose installations of XP. Often XP will install fine becuase it has error checking in the install process. But nothing else will work.

But I reformatted and everything is fine now, so it couldn'tve been the cable, right? Windows was detecting both of the drives fine, it was just that I winxp couldn't install drivers for them for some reason.

Oh, and MrGreenJeans, I installed all the mobo drivers from the cd after WinXP installed. The drives worked perfectly for a bit (about 10-15 min., then at some point after I installed something or updated something from the internet the drives stopped working.

I still have no idea what the problem was, so all I can hope for is that I don't run into it again in the future :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, this forum rules:cool:

Back