• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless AP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well as opposed to spending $120 on a fancy shmancy wireless AP, I'd say so. It really comes down to what sorts of features you need. If you're looking to get wireless into a part of the house that doesn't generally get it, then a router used as an AP should do the trick.

How do you typically pick a good one? What are some features I should look for when getting one?

I have a wireless n/g 2.4ghz network and need to cover a 2 story 4000sq ft house.

Pretty much any router will do. Some (Belkin, for example) have a 'Wireless Access Point' setting that configures it automatically. Others you have to manually configure it to function as an access point. Tons of articles and how-tos out there on the tubes, just do a little research and I'm sure you'll have success.

Get any good router that can run OpenWRT or DD-WRT, reflash it, mod it with better heatsinking, and there you go!

Back