• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wont power on.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmokeyUK

Registered
Ok, I came home the other night, switched my pc on, and....it would not power on. I can see the fans moving a couple of millimeters each time I press the power switch. I straight away thought PSU, so I worded a new one, fitted it, and I have the same issue, I have tried switching it on via the motherboard, same thing. Is my motherboard gone, or could it be something else?

I don't know if it's just me but I don't see your sig. I'm just gonna post it here from your profile so everyone can see it:

Intel Core i7 920 (Socket LGA1366) | 3x OCZ Gold 2GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 | Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5 | Asus P6T SE Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard | Coolermaster Stacker | Hyper Modular 550w psu | 1x 1tb Harddrive & 2x 250gb harddrive

So, you replaced the Hyper 550w PSU?

Ahh yes, that one did blow a couple of years ago, so I replaced it with a midrange 450w, and I have now just replaced the 450w with a 500w PSU, thinking it would solve my problem. Oh and thanks for pasting my Sig :).

Did all those PSUs blow up with the same board installed? If so, I'm thinking the board might have had enough by now and called it quit.

Well the first one went 2 years ago, and would not power anything,not even the board, this time there is power to the board.

What PSU died, and what PSU did you replace it with?

Make/model/wattage.

This is the part where you stop buying cheap PSUs.

Bob, his profile says "Hyper 550W". Problem seems to be that the OP is cheaping out on the part that powers his whole computer.

That one blew up.
Then a 400(450?) blew up.
Now a 500w isn't turning on.

If they're all junk, that'd be why it's not working.

If you want cheap but good, find a cheap used/discarded rackmount server and take the PSU out of it. Try to go for a 4U or larger since then you'll be able to use the case and cooling setup as well. Avoid Dells since they often use nonstandard PSUs, but your best bet is to look up the service manual before you buy. (If it's free, just take it since you'll almost definitely find something useful inside.)

If you want cheap but good, find a cheap used/discarded rackmount server and take the PSU out of it. Try to go for a 4U or larger since then you'll be able to use the case and cooling setup as well. Avoid Dells since they often use nonstandard PSUs, but your best bet is to look up the service manual before you buy. (If it's free, just take it since you'll almost definitely find something useful inside.)

Yeah, let's find something that's old enough to be thrown away (5 years +), most likely run 24/7, and grab the PSU out of it. Sounds like a great idea when he already has issues with PSUs.

I have taken apart many server PSUs and they're very solidly built. I'll definitely trust those far more than anything other than a new high quality PSU. (Or if you really wanted peace of mind, just buy a brand new server grade PSU and call it done.)

Well found the problem, it wasa bent USB pin on the case, straightened it, and it now works fine :)

Back