• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working on a new build, let me know what you think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zins

Registered
I have not totally decided yet, but this is what I think the main guts are going to be. Let me know what you think and if anything should be changed. Thanks :salute:

Azza Hurrican 2000
i7-2600K
Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans
Kingston HyperX 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel
Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard
2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB SLI
2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
30 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
Windows 7 Pro

:rock:

30GB SSD is, I think a bit short. If I were you, I would take at least 90GB.

I have Corsair F90 on the AMD system and an OCZ Vertex3 120GB on the SB rig: with OS and a couple of games, I am already over 30 Gigs.

I have just Windows and office on mine, I think I'm using just over 30 of the 60 GB drive. You want room for OS updates and such, so I recommend a 60GB drive, unless you install games on it like Manu.

Thanks for the advice guys :clap: . As far as the SSD, I am getting that free with the purchase of the ram. I was not planning on actually buying a SSD, they are so much $ and I have never used one before. So I am unsure if I wanna spend to much more to get one or not. I am at a budget of $2,000, and this is going to be used mainly for gaming. What do you guys think of the mother board? would you suggest a Z68 mobo instead?

I have not totally decided yet, but this is what I think the main guts are going to be. Let me know what you think and if anything should be changed. Thanks :salute:

Azza Hurrican 2000
i7-2600K
Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans
Kingston HyperX 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel
Asus P8P67 Deluxe Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard
2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB SLI
2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
30 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
950 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-950TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
Windows 7 Pro

:rock:

Does the $2000 need to include Montior/Keyboard/Mouse?

With Sandy Bridge, even if you want to OC, you really don't need water cooling. Plus, if you were going to to OC you should consider a full loop. Most high-end air are going to be just as good as the pre-built CPU water coolers. It will save you enough to splurge on a 120GB SSD if you look for a deal.

Also the 950W PS seems a a bit much even for SLI. I would think you're looking at more like 650-700W. As does the 8GB ram.

I would personally go with high-end air (Noctua NH-D14 is a great choice), 4GB RAM, about 800-850W PSU. With all that you'd save from that you can easily afford a 120GB SSD. You don't understand the convenience of one until you've tried it. And then you'll want more space no matter how much you got.

I think that 8gb ram is fine. Right now my laptop just surfing the web uses 3gb from all of the other essential processes. It is best to have some extra for games because in the near future, 4gb would be almost nothing...

Back