• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seer33

Heres the scenario: I have $800 dollars setting right here, and my computer as follows:
Epox 8rda
Xp2100 tbred B
512mb xms pc3200 ram
slk-7, ystech fan
powercolor 9700 pro
Xpider alienware clone case (420 watt channelwell [turbolink] psu)
sb Live 5.1
lan card
plantronics audio 90 headset
labtec 2.1 speakers
40 gig maxtor harddrive
15" HP monitor (freebeh)

My choices:sell that current configuration for $600 dollars to my brother ( it costed me about 750 6 mothes ago when i assembled it) have 1400 (only really willing to spend 800-1000) to get the new parts i need for a new computer, so far im looking at:

Abit nf7-s 2.0
xp2500 barton
2x256 twinmos ch-5 pc3200 ram
slk-900u, 92mm tornado
sapphire 9800 np
Not sure about case, probably fortron 350watt psu
soundstorm mobo sound
onboard lan
80 gig WD SE (already have)
19" flatscreen viewsonic g90fb ( have)
dvdrom liteonblack (have)
52x32x52 black liteon burner (have)

Or should wait it out about another six monthes, see the the enw stuff from amd, vid card prices ect?

The question on my mind is is the upgrade worth it? My brother will buy a computer whether i sell it or not, its jsut a matter of me getting it off my hands easily to him no shipping, no deassembling or anything. Im sure i could get more then 600 (prtty easily actually) but i figure its a good brotherly discount.

So should i just upgrade now and sell, or just wait it out (im pretty disapointed with 9700 pro perf, and xp2100 low fsb (might be ram idk) and not be able to sell this current config quickly and easily? i need opinions people, its off to work now, i hope to have some replies when i get back!

Last edited:
Well if your brother is going to buy a computer no matter what and you know yours is stable then I would do the upgrade. As long as it doesn't cost you too much doing it. Your performance will be better but don't expect it to be magnificent. Selling it for 600 dollars is very good and don't expect anyone else to fork out that much. JMO The computer market isn't so great now a days and alot of people are going for those cheap systems with the discounts. If your like me then upgrading is a hobby that I enjoy and getting anything newer keeps me occupied and happy. :)

actually i figure noticable performance will be minimal, but if i can get a nice case with great airflow, SLK-900u w/ 92tornado, a way better psu, im hoping to push this barton to 2.4, with like 220 fsb with these winbond modules, 9800p @ 9800pro speeds, way better sound, i think im gonna do it, plus my benchies will be much better, my 9700 pro majorly artifacts at anything past 365/648 ;(

yup I agree with bull go for it. Also with the extra cash get some awesome speakers and good monitor (if you don't already). In fact I'd downgrade things if money is a concern, a 1700+ and 2500+ OC'ed to the max are dead even, also consider twinmos PC3700 it's not much more than the PC3200 and will let you push as high as your chipset will allow.

where can u get the pc3700, it have ch-5?
yeah my monitor is already perfrect for me, and maybe some speakers but im more of a headphones guy, (counter-strike =\) so ill probably get the altec lansing 502 headset, it looks comfortable, and pretty high quality. Maybe some 560's if i can convince myself

this is what i got so far as items and price:

256MBx2 Twinmos PC3200 CL2.5 184pin DDR400 DIMM (p/n XDC256-TM) - $121
AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL - $88
Fortron FSP350-60PN Aurora Series 350W ATX12V Power Supply with 120mm LED Fan - Retail - $55
ABIT NF7-S - $115
Lian Li pc65b - $145
slk-900u, 92mm tornado $65
Sapphire 9800 NP oem - $244

total 833

i figure after some round cables, and some other misc things itll be closer around 850, 860 which is great i only have to spend about 250 of my own money and the rest is just one big upgade from selling my computer for 600 :) anyone see prices that maybe off/know any cyberdeals? suggestions either? i need some help!

btw im going with the twinmos pc3200 ch-5 chips pretty much for sure (unless i can find 2x256 mushkin black lvl2 for under 150) they seem to hit high fsb 220+ with this board and seem to keep relativley tight timings in doing so.

i would suggest buffalo 3200 intsead of twinmos because twinmos costs a bit more.

also if you are overclocking (i assume so or only an idiot would buy a tornado and not overclock) maybe a 400watt fortron would be in handy.

i would REALLY recommend you to buy something or make somethig to tune that tornado. its really a screamer.

as for the 9800, do you really need the features/power it offers? if not id save the money. its pretty expensive.

im selling my 9700 pro for 250, why not get a 9800 np(244), put it at 9800pro bios and call it a day. Does the buffalo perform as well as the twinmos? Hmm i ually have music going (headphones) and large room fan blowin at me (pretty loud) if the tornados sound gets to me sure ill get it controled, but i really dont think ill mind too much.

Back