• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would you build, a i7-7700K or Ryzen 7 1700 system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KTRF

Registered
Hi, not just ready to build a 4K video edit/encoding system yet for myself, maybe in about two months time.
Hopefully by then a few motherboard updates and bugs will be ironed out :)

I'm not sure what route to take, Inter or AMD, all of my builds to date were Intel.
If I was to go Intel I would have went for a i7-7700K build. No way could I afford the i7-6850K/6900K chip so from what I was reading the R 1700 would be a good alternative.

Your thoughts please :)

Thanks in advance.

It would be a good alternative to the i7 7700k, that's for sure. But whether or not in two months time the bios bugs will be worked out is not for sure. A bird in the hand is still worth two in the bush. Part of the answer depends on how much you are willing to invest in good cooling to be able to overclock the 7700k to its full potential. And a lot of the i5 and i7 kaby lakes suffer from high temps do to the crappy thermal paste Intel is using under the lid. Many are delidding them and replacing the crappy paste with Liquid Ultra.

Ryzen already seems to be close to its max overclock potential right out of the box. Limited by voltage, not temps, so expensive cooking is not necessary.

It would be a good alternative to the i7 7700k, that's for sure. But whether or not in two months time the bios bugs will be worked out is not for sure. A bird in the hand is still worth two in the bush. Part of the answer depends on how much you are willing to invest in good cooling to be able to overclock the 7700k to its full potential .

Hi thanks, I have used Noctua in the past and was thinking of a Noctua NH-D15 or Corsair H110i.

That's a good point about the "bird in the hand" :) the 7700k might be a safer more stable option.

You said " Ryzen already seems to be close to its max overclock potential right out of the box. Limited by voltage, not temps, so expensive cooking is not necessary"

Ok thanks for that, I didn't know.

I wouldn't know how to OC the 7700k but if told, I could follow the instructions :)

Thanks.

Does your application use the cpu heavily or does it use gpu acceleration? Good question to have an answer to.. ;)

I had to laugh at what I typed. I meant to type "expensive cooling" not "expensive cooking." Cooking one is always expensive because you have to replace it.

Does your application use the cpu heavily or does it use gpu acceleration? Good question to have an answer to.. ;)

Yes, my software would gain with a higher CPU compared to my current 2700K and effects like Newblue etc would also benefit with gpu acceleration.
I have a 1070 waiting on my new build :)

- - - Updated - - -

I had to laugh at what I typed. I meant to type "expensive cooling" not "expensive cooking." Cooking one is always expensive because you have to replace it.

:)

I still think I would be tempted to go for a 7700K build :).
I have never OC before other using a profile built into my old asrock board.
Is it difficult to OC an 7700K to a 100% stable system to use everyday for video editing/encoding?

I still think I would be tempted to go for a 7700K build :).
I have never OC before other using a profile built into my old asrock board.
Is it difficult to OC an 7700K to a 100% stable system to use everyday for video editing/encoding?

No, its relatively easy. People here do it all the time. We could easily guide you through it. Most important thing is having good aftermarket cooling.

No, its relatively easy. People here do it all the time. We could easily guide you through it. Most important thing is having good aftermarket cooling.

OK, thanks for offering the help, when the time comes.
Would you recommend a cooler please.
Thanks.

If you haven't purchased one yet, consider buying one pre-delidded. The 20c drop in temps is no joke. As to WHERE you can buy them, I am unsure.

I made the same decision after Ryzen was released... My signature says which way I went, but ultimately, I think both could be used for the purposes you want, it really just boils down to what's more important to you: more cores (Ryzen 7), better single threaded performance (IPC + higher clocks), or cost (upcoming Ryzen 5, doubt there will be a major performance difference between Ryzen 5 and 7, other than the additional cores on Ryzen 7).

I made the same decision after Ryzen was released...doubt there will be a major performance difference between Ryzen 5 and 7, other than the additional cores on Ryzen 7).

OK thanks for advice, it would be worth waiting for the R 5 reviews .

OK thanks for advice, it would be worth waiting for the R 5 reviews .
They aren't far... Couple weeks. Again, don't expect miracles. We are talking single thread and probably gaming performance around similarly clocked Ryzen 7 CPUs. Even Ryzen 7 is voltage restricted, not cooling restricted. For Ryzen 5 the important thing to consider is cost. Compared to a similar system, do I get more money for an NVMe drive or video card or whatever.

Back