• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x38 or P45...which mobo if you had the choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

I'm going to crossfire...need to order in the morning. I'm running the same CPU in my rig...been running 500x9, I want to achieve the same overclock.

Budget is inbetween 100 ~ 150...I've found the following.

Asus P5Q P45
Asus P5E x38
Gigabyte UDP3 P45
Occasionally a Biostar I45 P45

P5E was open box...for about 135 shipped. I was simply going to go with a P45 until I saw that deal on the P5E. What would you guys choose?

I had P5E ( gave to my brother ) so max stable settings were ~500MHz FSB with max I could run ~515-520MHz on E8500 ( in sig) ... bad idea if you want to run it 500MHz.
Other boards are P45 so 8x pcie in crossfire and if it's not an issue then go for Biostar I45. I'm really happy with this board ( in sig too ).

agreed that if u go p45 biostar is the way 2 go. but if your going crossfire i really think u should go with x38/x48. although it may be harder to get higher clocks they are obtainable on a dual.

I'm going to crossfire...I'm running the same CPU in my rig (8400 E0)

You want a X38/48 board...if you were running a quad then you would want a P45...the quad would help over compensate for the 8x in CF...

If you can wait another week or 2...you will see a nice drop in those MB's you are looking at also ;)....

You want a X38/48 board...if you were running a quad then you would want a P45...the quad would help over compensate for the 8x in CF...

If you can wait another week or 2...you will see a nice drop in those MB's you are looking at also ;)....

Well...I've been waiting to do this a while and I finally moved up to a larger LCD (28" from 19") so I need more power for my games.

I went with the open box Asus P5E...only thing I really hope it comes with is a back plate and possibly the onboard (offboard) sound card.

I also nabbed an Open Box Asus 4850 for 135$, ordered my barbs and mounting hardware for my MCW60, I can't wait to get this board and Crossfire up and running!

Those backplates are prolly pretty easy to find on ebay. I myself never use them because they can cause shorts, but I did notice ASUS is lining their backplates on their P5Q series boards with a pad of some sort.

if you're really nice when you call ASUS they will probably send you a new backplate if you make up a good excuse like it came bent and won't fit right or something similar. they might give you one for free even if you tell them the truth as they aren't a high priced part and customer service from them has been good in my experience.

I had a P5E X38 it was a great board (9x500 was a breeze)and i wish i had never sold it.Because if i hadnt id be running two 4870's rather than these two GTX260's

+1 for X38. I like mine a lot and have not had any issues with the X38 chipset since I have owned it. I am also planning on getting another 4870 to try out crossfire. :beer:

If you go x-fire with 4870's and below with that E8400 then I would get the Biostar or Gigabyte P45, if you plan to get X2's then you'll need a X38/X48.

The P45 runs cooler and require less voltage all around, not just on the chipset but v-core as well.

Back