• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x4 830 STUCK at 800 mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sjuan

I'm new to all of this, but I built this to be the fastest I've ever had and I think its the slowest.
For some reason it seems to be stuck at 800 mhz instead of 2.8.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

show_oc.php

Disable Cool N Quiet and C1E in bios. Go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. From your attached pics it looks like the "green" power saving, down-throttling stuff is still active.

Another thing that could be happening is that the bios can't identify the processor and so is assigning "safe" frequencies and voltages. Sometimes a bios update can fix that.

Thanks, I will try this later.
I heard that some bios updates can cause it to stay throttled down.
I didnt find any setting in bios to turn off cool n quiet.
I haven't tried to OC I'm just trying to get it to normal

Update:
I reset BIOS to optimal settings, set power options to max performance, and there are no newer updates for Bios.
Still don't see a Cool N Quiet setting to be changed

It is a little better, but still not right... Takes 10 seconds to pull up computer properties

I have a Corsair 64g SSD and Cooler Master N520 fan, so it typically runs at/below 40C.

Any other thoughts?

show_oc.php
[/url][/IMG]

sorry about that, I'm new to the forum thing.

This was a Tiger Kit.

MOBO > Biostar N68S3B
CPU & Cooler > PhenomII x4 830 @2.8ghz Cooler Master Hyper N520 cooler
MEMORY > Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 1 X 4GB
POWER SUPPLY > Diablotek 400w
VIDEO CARD > Onboard vga Nvidia nforce 630a
HDDs/Optical drives > 1 dvd burner 1 Corsair 60GB SSD CSSD-V60GB2 No Raid
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Canon IP1800 printer / CA speakers / mouse / keyboard
O/S > Win XP Home sp3
Case > Diablotek mid tower NO fans

RGone correct me if I am wrong but if the info in his CPUZ score is right he is running an AMD Phenom II X4 830 Processor with a Biostar N68S3B. The CPU Support list for the board doesnt show his CPU there ...... http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=517

AMD Phenom™ II X4 x955 HDX955WFK4DGM 95W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 x945 HDX945WFK4DGM 95W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 x945 HDX945WFK4DGI 95W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 x925 HDX925WFK4DGM 95W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 x840 HDX840WFK42GM 95W
AMD Phenom™ II X4 x820 HDX820WFK4FGI 95W

You're board definately has cool n quiet on it, as I've just checked the specs, you need to find it and turn it off, it may be in the power section or CPU section of you're bios, this looks like what is causing you're CPU to throttle down, but it should go up to full speed when under load , you can check this by leaving cpuz open on you're desktop and applying a load to you're CPU and watch the CPU frequency in cpuz to see if it changes, if it does then it's you're cool n quiet/c1e that's activated, if not the you're CPU multiplier may be set too low and may need adjusting

^^^^^^^^^^^^^take no notice of this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edit : looking at you're cpuz tab it looks like its not you're multiplier that's been dropped (which usually happens with cool n quiet) but you're ref clock (fsb) is at 60 when it should be at 200 (stock) and you're memory is only running at 200mhz which will be because you're ref clock is at 60 not 200. Bang it up to 200 and you should be good :thup:

Last edited:
As you said "Bassnut", that cpu is not in the list of supported cpus at the motherboard website and list of supported cpus.

I found this about that cpu. I know those white box configurators often use what is not selling. They may have tested and expect the cpu to work in the mobo they sold the cpu with ?

Obscure CPUs: AMD Phenom II X4 830 - Tuesday Oct 26, 2010
Looks like HP trying there hand at false advertising to me, unless they managed to get hold of a specific model just for them with 2 extra MB of L3 (but I doubt it)

I noticed that the 830 is not listed, but figured since it was a kit, then they must know something I don't.

There have been times when the multiplier randomly shows up at 4x instead of 14x. (the top banner)

Also the memory latency timing is changing without my input
9-9-9-24
6-6-6-15

any thoughts?

There have been times when the multiplier randomly shows up at 4x instead of 14x. (the top banner)

Also the memory latency timing is changing without my input
9-9-9-24
6-6-6-15

any thoughts?
The multiplier changing is normaly caused by cool n quiet, as for the memory latency changing, I think it will be you're bios adjusting the timings to compensate for the low speed of 200mhz caused by the 60 MHz ref clock . If you change you're ref clock (CPU clock/fsb) manually in you're bios it should solve the issue of low speed computing, as now your CPU is only running at 60mhz x 14 (840 MHz) instead of 200mhz x 14 (2.8 ghz) and you're memory is only running at 60 x3.33 (200 MHz) instead of 200 x 3.33 (1333 MHz) so you're losing loads of juice. Put the ref clock to 200 (which is stock) save and reboot.

Thanks, I will try this later.
I heard that some bios updates can cause it to stay throttled down.
I didnt find any setting in bios to turn off cool n quiet.
I haven't tried to OC I'm just trying to get it to normal

If you set the Power Options in Control Panel to High Performance first then more than likely it turned off Cool N Quiet before you checked for it in bios.

Guys, CPU-Z 1.61.3 is bugged on many platforms.
There is nothing wrong with the OPs CPU most likely, I suggest the OP download CPU-Z 1.60.1 or earlier to make sure this is a bug.

Also, LinX or IntelBurnTest results, or even Cinebench/3DMark would hint at real speeds too.

Most boards do not operate properly much under 200 MHz HT Ref. Clock. I believe clock skew adjustments would be necessary to lower it very far. (Kind of like skews for intel's BCLK)

Thanks everybody. I'll download a different program to double check the speeds and adjust the clock up to 200 (which it appeared to already be) and I'll post the results tomorrow morning. I really appreciate all the great help.

If it doesn't work, get a bigger hammer :D

The multiplier changing is normaly caused by cool n quiet, as for the memory latency changing, I think it will be you're bios adjusting the timings to compensate for the low speed of 200mhz caused by the 60 MHz ref clock . If you change you're ref clock (CPU clock/fsb) manually in you're bios it should solve the issue of low speed computing, as now your CPU is only running at 60mhz x 14 (840 MHz) instead of 200mhz x 14 (2.8 ghz) and you're memory is only running at 60 x3.33 (200 MHz) instead of 200 x 3.33 (1333 MHz) so you're losing loads of juice. Put the ref clock to 200 (which is stock) save and reboot.

OK I finally found the Cool n Quiet setting labeled as "Power Now".
Disabled it and the multiplier went back to 14. FSB still showing 60mhz, but shows 200 in BIOS?? Should I bump it up to 210?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Back