• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x6 and ddr2 what mobo for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baggedmazda

i am wanting to do a little redo to my current 3+ year old rig the x6 seems to offer me the most future proofing. computer mainly gets used for gaming and surfing the web so nothing crazy but my c2d is not cutting it anymore for blackops. being a tight a** the x6 seem like the best bang for my money mainly looking at the 1055t but is is worth the extra $20 to go for the black edition? i will be overclocking but not looking for to push hard core at all it just adds more fun and faster cant hurt can it.

i am wanting to do a little redo to my current 3+ year old rig the x6 seems to offer me the most future proofing. computer mainly gets used for gaming and surfing the web so nothing crazy but my c2d is not cutting it anymore for blackops. being a tight a** the x6 seem like the best bang for my money mainly looking at the 1055t but is is worth the extra $20 to go for the black edition? i will be overclocking but not looking for to push hard core at all it just adds more fun and faster cant hurt can it.

I'm in the same X6 and DDR2 boat though I don't plan to overclock since I have a modest PSU. I have a Biostar 785 GE 128M AM2+/AM3.
A 1090t is around $200 and I think it has more overclock potential- you could wait a while and the price will go down. I've read though that the 1055t is harder to OC.
I can't wait to use my 8GB Corsair Ram for a future video card that might use it, and my Mobo is future proof in the sense that it supports an X6 (i'm waiting for the 1065t or 1075t 95w) and a 7000 series AMD radeon (preferrably with double floating points with just one 6 pin connector). If you have enough PSU for OC'ing then a Mobo that supports it like gigabyte or Biostar seems the way to go. Some say you need good ram for OC'ing the 1055t as high as the 1090 near 4ghz. a slightly slower 1055 instead of a 1090 will still be good if you pair it with a strong video card, so you can spend more on the GPU if you're not looking to spend a lot.

well i have my current hx520 to power the system so i am good there and i will be sticking with my 5770 for a while. basically i will be swapping my mobo and cpu for something new and more capable. now down the road i can see my self getting a new card supply and ddr3 just not to that point the cpu is the only thing holding me back

well i have my current hx520 to power the system so i am good there and i will be sticking with my 5770 for a while. basically i will be swapping my mobo and cpu for something new and more capable. now down the road i can see my self getting a new card supply and ddr3 just not to that point the cpu is the only thing holding me back

Gotcha. Yeah, my GPU is a 9600gt and it's paired with a prescott Pentium-D 2.8ghz with Vista. It runs some new games on low-med. my newer rig only runs linux but i'll buy windows 7 for it when I upgrade the CPU (a sempron x2 2300-seems faster performance but swapping in a new cpu after Windows 7 install might be complicated). My supply is a Seasonic 330W S12II- squeezing a 95w CPU and a 108w 5770 or 127w 6850) would actually run under the 288w PSU tdp w/few peripherals. according to one of the threads:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655994

I think its better to swap that ram with a DDR3 one, they're cheaper than they were back in the days and you could really see the difference.
Anyways if you're getting the BE version of this CPU be sure to SWAP THE STOCK COOLER.. that CPU gets hotter than the heat, that Nelly sings about in "Hot in here". (OK, this might be a bad example, but nvm switch the stock cooler if you're getting BE)

Back