• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X800xl bad performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chickenfeed

Registered
I purchased a radeon x800xl 256 agp a while ago and i am getting rather poor performance with my pc. Im sure it is bottlenecked because i only have a 2.6ghz northwood p4. The thing is i overclock it to 3ghz and seen little to no performance gain. I have been looking into getting a cheap ath xp 3000+ cpu/mobo bundle at tigerdirect but am wondering wether even having that ocd would suffice for this card. I also have only an agp 4x mobo currently but ive heard mixed opinions on the performance differnce and wether it will affect things that drastically. After the cpu oc i run pcmark04 and This is running on par with a 2.8ghz p4 according to toms hardware cpu guide. I have formated 3 months ago to see if it made a differnence but it didnt. I have tryed omega drivers 4.11-5.8 and same with the official catalyts and the 5.5 seem best for the mostpart.For example on poor performance i only get 14000 in 3dmark 2001 and all games even on lower settings are fairly rough at times. Ive also made sure my chipset and bios are up to date. I am currently using the following

Intel P4 2.6GHZ 400fsb northwood
GIGABYTE GA-8S650GXM (SIS650 chipset)
80GB WD HD
RADEON X800XL 256MB (AGP) @400/980 stock
350watt psu

Help is appreciated and please check out my 2 posts in the intel cpu section.

Thankz CHickeN

Your help is much appreciated to helping with my problem.

Last edited:
I realize its not to great but i would getting a athlon xp 3000+ or a celeron d 340
2.93ghz and new mobo with an oc do it. I can pick up either of those processors and a new mobo for like 110 canadian and if it would do the trick that would be great. I really wanna see what this card can do.

If you are going to upgrade the CPU and motherboard you might as well go for an LGA775 setup using the i945P chipset. LGA is far superior to what S478 has to offer.

Plus even a CellyD would bottleneck an X800XL. Hell even *my* system is holding back my PRO @ 4.25

Chickenfeed said:
I purchased a radeon x800xl 256 agp a while ago and i am getting rather poor performance with my pc. Im sure it is bottlenecked because i only have a 2.6ghz northwood p4. The thing is i overclock it to 3ghz and seen little to no performance gain. I have been looking into getting a cheap ath xp 3000+ cpu/mobo bundle at tigerdirect but am wondering wether even having that ocd would suffice for this card. I also have only an agp 4x mobo currently but ive heard mixed opinions on the performance differnce and wether it will affect things that drastically. After the cpu oc i run pcmark04 and This is running on par with a 2.8ghz p4 according to toms hardware cpu guide. I have formated 3 months ago to see if it made a differnence but it didnt. I have tryed omega drivers 4.11-5.8 and same with the official catalyts and the 5.5 seem best for the mostpart.For example on poor performance i only get 14000 in 3dmark 2001 and all games even on lower settings are fairly rough at times. Ive also made sure my chipset and bios are up to date. I am currently using the following

Intel P4 2.6GHZ 400fsb northwood
GIGABYTE GA-8S650GXM (SIS650 chipset)
80GB WD HD
RADEON X800XL 256MB (AGP) @400/980 stock
350watt psu

Help is appreciated and please check out my 2 posts in the intel cpu section.

Thankz CHickeN

Your help is much appreciated to helping with my problem.

Get a PSU

Your Powersupply is preaty thin there partner, you might consider beefing up to a fortron 450w

I have the same card you do BBAti x800xl, Core Clock 400 MHz, Memory Clock 535 MHz

My system is p4 2.4c @ 260FSB 3.1ghz wich is simular to yours.
Im getting 3DMark03 Score 10831, CPU Score 882 I thought mine were low

Id definataly say check into the psu

Ive been also thinking of getting a dfi nf3 250gb chipset with a 2.8 sempron because ive heard they can do 2.4ghz + easily. Yeah i will be getting a new psu soon i hope and im gonna get a aftermarket fan on my cpu and see what happens from there.

You can get a Sempron but a 3000+ should be able to get 2.4 without a problem. I just sold my board to step up to a socket 939 but my 3000+ 754 Clawhammer was overclocked to 2.4 on the same DFI NF3 250 board using an XP-90 heatsink. I was have a vanilla Sapphire x800 256 with a Zalman VF700 I was using in that system and was able to overclock it easily and ran BF2 on High settings @ 1024x768.

Forget about intel and erase them from your memory if ur into gaming. They jsut dont perform like Athlon 64's when it comes to gaming. I wouldnt buy any LGA 775 or 945 crap at all. The only fast p4 is one doin over 4000mhz. This is a fact not just my opinion. A 3000 venice clocked to a modest 2500mhz will pwn and high clocked p4 in the gaming catergory.

Do urself a favor and get a Athlon 3000+ 64 and any cheap Nf4 or even nf3 board.

A 3000+ 64 is like 130$ and mobo will be no more than 100 buks.

I basically was going to get a 64bit but a sempron 2.8 and ill get it to 2.4ghz so ill have something equivelent in speed to a 3500+ with 256 less cache for 200-250$ less. Sounds good to me. If im not mistaken that 256 more cache wouldnt benifit games much more encoding right?

I would at least try for a 3000 venice. 512k cache will make a difference trust me. there pretty cheap if u look around. And in the longrun u will be much happier. Even a bad overclock on a 3000 to around 2400mhz is simply amazing performance. Im a firm believer that cache effects performance in a different way than sheer megahurtz. Look at intels celeron's, u can take one to 4000 mhz but it will get destroyed by a 3.4ghz P4. Yes I know that cache effects p4's more than athlon 4's but I would much rather have 512 than a measley 256.

semprons are too slow. you can get a 3000+ venice cheap. LOL if you spent $200-250 on your video card, surely you can spend half that on a proper cpu! Sorry you had to learn the hard way about cpu bottlenecks :( I have a 3000+ venice and radeon 9700 and dont want a faster video card cause id just be cpu limited

I read an article on xbit labs and the 2600+ with the 128cache ocd to 2.5ghz will sweep the floor. It performed up there with the 3.4e p4 and the 3500+. Due to the single channel memory and slighy less cache the 64s were marginally faster in games but for apps and such the 2600 did extremely well. This is only to fix this pc not to make it my super gaming pc just to tide over until i can get my own. Overclocked it does very well. By the way they did these tests with a x800xt which is 25% faster then the x800xl and up at 2.4ghz range the bottleneck was very small. The article can be found here

www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-2600_4.html

"I have a 3000+ venice and radeon 9700 and dont want a faster video card cause id just be cpu limited"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

your in a rut, a real deep one. :bang head

baldy

chris64 said:
I would at least try for a 3000 venice. 512k cache will make a difference trust me. there pretty cheap if u look around. And in the longrun u will be much happier. Even a bad overclock on a 3000 to around 2400mhz is simply amazing performance.

Agreed.. using a DFI NF4 Ultra-D and the above 3000+ Venice Rev. E I am currently at 2565 (280x9) and moving along quite nicely. If it were not for the ram, I am sure I would be higher. I was able to hit 295x9 and pass memtest for eight hours with no errors.. Windows choked after booting but I am sure it is something simple I can screw around with and get past that problem. Once I get better memory I am confident I can hit the 2700 mark.

They are both from newegg, the mobo was $126 and the cpu is only $146. Under $275 bucks for 2700.. no thought should go into that deal.

I AM CaNaDian lol. NEwegg = no no for canada. I was considering getting a s754 2800+ 64bit instead of semp. 50bucks more for 200mhz and 256 more cache. From what ive read 754s oc better then 939s. And also this is a fix not a permanent gaming pc. I just want this to work reasonably.

try redflagdeals.com, you'll be sure to get a nice used Athlon 64 for cheap, it's a Canadian site, great for deals, check the forum's section, under stuff for sale.

Back