• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox 360 vs. PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, what I want is great games, and good graphics. You can't have most of that without a good graphics API, and portability. Microsoft is creating a whole new way of using DirectX (XNA), and since the Xbox360 is essentially a PC, what with hard drives, ethernet, USB ports, a giant software base below it...wow. Even if the PS3 wins in the hardware department, you can't create good games without a good base to program and design on. Also, the Xbox360 has three separate cores, or being able to run three threads at the same time. The PS3 has, what, 1 core with 7 virtual cores? Sheesh. Big whoop.

Also, the Xbox has Halo, so it wins anyway :santa:

I am personally getting a 360, im not too interested in the PS3 as of now but may end up getting one much later on. The 360 just seems to have alot of good games that the PS3 dosent have.

nintendo revolution

why??

the games of course

im in high school so i rarely have times just to sit aorund and if i have friends over who has the best party games? nintendo of course. i could really give a damn if my console hs 6 more polygons than yours if my games sucked. plus revolution controllers are freakin crazy.

im glad nintendo did something cool this time. but then again i prolly wont buy any of the consoles cuz high school is really busy and i have a car

just my $.02

I really do think it's all about the games at the end of the day the genre's & what type of fan base there is there's XBOX fans cause they like the X-BOX LIVE! feature & Halo. There's PS2 fan's cause they like the wide very wide variety of games there is and PS2 On-line. And there's Nintendo fans who just love plain of Mario and are big fans of the Zelda franchise.

It's OK saying the PS3 is more powerful over the 360 by x2 but that's for the game developers to really sink there teeth into. We just play there games once there completed and released are you really going to go round to your mates. And place both consoles side by side and have a back & forth rant that the 360 has Halo oh PS3 has MGS4 blah blah blah so what that just encourages people to buy both maybe all 3 consoles.

And still in the end buy a PC and upgrade that and play games on why do people have or buy all the consoles available 1 word CHOICE. If they buy probably all 3 and there mates have each have one console wether it's PS3, 360 or Revolution they can go round and play the games and show each others games saves off. That's called the community that Sony, Microsoft and Ninty are after doing I think.

F..get all this next gen crap, I all about 4 generation back. What more could you want than duck hunt/mario bros all in the same cartradge.

But...............

I'd go 360 if I had to cause its first and can you say HA LO Deux?!

I'm not gonna wait half a year after the XBox360 comes out for a PS3. Plus, they're missing the holiday season and you know how that Christmas money burns a hole in your pocket.
So, yeah, XBox360 for me.

Personally I don't care about the nextgen consoles. I have my gba and PC and that's enough for me.And if anyone says that PC are crap compared to the consoles I won't care because i have my Counter Strike.

Romulox said:
Personally I don't care about the nextgen consoles. I have my gba and PC and that's enough for me.And if anyone says that PC are crap compared to the consoles I won't care because i have my Counter Strike.

Nobody can say that, because it isn't true. But... eh, I could say something along those lines about Counter Strike. :p

(take my reply lightly)

I don't think it will matter witch system is better. What will happen is both consoles will come out and then be running games that are not taking 100% advantage of the hardware they are being run on. This is one reason why i wouldn't run out and by either system right away since its going to take a few years before you see games that truly exploit the hardware.

One interesting thing about the ps3 is it will run Linux when you get the hard drive for it. This could really open the ps3 up in terms of cool user created content should people decide to develop for the ps3.

I read a few messages back on this thread someone said developers didnt like the ps3 and there for you wont see many games. Problem is developers are not taking to well to dual core either and thats what the xbox360 is. The xbox360 has 3 cores so it to will be a ***** to program for if you plan on using more then 1 core.

Wolfmanz611..

Last edited by a moderator:
wolfmanz611 said:
I don't think it will matter witch system is better. What will happen is both consoles will come out and then be running games that are not taking 100% advantage of the hardware they are being run on. This is one reason why i wouldn't run out and by either system right away since its going to take a few years before you see games that truly exploit the hardware.

One interesting thing about the ps3 is it will run Linux when you get the hard drive for it. This could really open the ps3 up in terms of cool user created content should people decide to develop for the ps3.

I read a few messages back on this thread someone said developers didnt like the ps3 and there for you wont see many games. Problem is developers are not taking to well to dual core either and thats what the xbox360 is. The xbox360 has 3 cores so it to will be a ***** to program for if you plan on using more then 1 core.

Wolfmanz611..

You can run Linux on a 360 just as easily, assuming you get the hard drive version of upgarde the base model:)

Consoles will have a hard time touching the PC gaming devision until the become fully upgradable but for the price there's no comparison, 400 dell or Xbox 360. Even if you were a sweet bargain hunter and built your own you couldn't get much better than a X800GT and game developers simply don't optimize their games as much for the hardware at hand as console gaming companies can, that's why the PS2 survived so long on what it had to work with, a P3 and an ATI rage would never make it that long.

Exfoliate said:
You can run Linux on a 360 just as easily, assuming you get the hard drive version of upgarde the base model:)

Consoles will have a hard time touching the PC gaming devision until the become fully upgradable but for the price there's no comparison, 400 dell or Xbox 360. Even if you were a sweet bargain hunter and built your own you couldn't get much better than a X800GT and game developers simply don't optimize their games as much for the hardware at hand as console gaming companies can, that's why the PS2 survived so long on what it had to work with, a P3 and an ATI rage would never make it that long.

You may infact be able to run linux on a xbox 360 but doing so with out the support of Microsfoft. In the case of the PS3 linux is embraced and encouraged from the top of the company all the way down. What this leads to is better support from sony and alot less problems in terms of making linux apps for the ps3.

WoflManz611..

I'll be going xbox 360 hands down, I Love my xbox - So much to fiddle with..

-Chipped
-250gig HDD
-Latest XBMC Running
-Fully linked to entire network

I don't really use it for games anymore, i just watch movies mainly.. but it's just nice being able to boot it up and have everything right there.

Had it about 2 years and use it everyday .. plus modded it looks lovely :p

PS2 loads slow, the dvd drives break (althou my xbox one is broke too..) i think the graphics are better on xbox too imo..

They both lag now though, drop frames here and there, try underground in exterior view... not smooth gameplay =)

My $.02

Really didn't like the Xbox at all and the Xbox 360 hasn't interested me, also I can't stand Halo I think it's the most over rated piece of crap of an excuse for a game ever. (thats not going over the top either)
I will def get a PS3 I liked the PS2 and its games and look foward to its usual range of games and any new ones that pop up.
I'll probably get the Nintendo Rev aswell because I think the temptation of Metroid Prime 3 will be too strong.

Back