• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox 360 vs. PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So when all the next gen's are out how long with it take for PC's to get more powerful or is the CELL processor beyond what AMD and INTEL can achive for a few more years.

PS3 seems to have less and less intrest for me :( I do love the fact at least there using higher capacity disks though. GTA, GT & MGS4 is the only games I can think of being a good idea to buy the PS3 for currently besides having Blu-Ray drive.

Xbox 360 looks more and more like it will get my vote. I just hope to get a HD-DVD drive in it before I buy it since if or when those games come out I want those rather then switching DVD's left and right on some games.

Other then that I can't judge which will be better then the other, heck no one can. Why?

1) Niether is in our hands, reviews or not your not getting your opinion on the product
2) PS3 hasn't even been shown in the public yet
3) THERE NOT OUT!
4) Its all speculation currently.

AngelfireUk83 said:
So when all the next gen's are out how long with it take for PC's to get more powerful or is the CELL processor beyond what AMD and INTEL can achive for a few more years.
it has more to do with the video card, then amd or intel. i am guessing not that long till then. seeing how you can't really upgrade the video card on a console.

AngelfireUk83 said:

it could be a long time, an 8 core cpu isn't in AMD or Intel's plans until around another 5 years and of course in 5 years the 8 core cpu's will poo on cell. I'd guess around 2 years max though until something is more powerful.
Intel and AMD where getting their panties in a twist because they thought Sony was advancing things too quickly, I just say they're upset because Sony did now what they plan to do in 5 years lol

i've never owned a console, i built my pc for gaming and comparing the halo's from xbox vs pc.

pc looks alot better and plays alot better. to stay on topic, if i had to choose, i would take an xbox.

i'm looking for a pc hybrid. pc gaming with full compatibility with gamepads.

AngelfireUk83 said:
From what I've heard what we have now is easily more powerful in some ways. Floating point performance means little. Sony's develpors have on thing they design for the Cell, games. So everything is extremely optimized for the platform and things improve as develpers get more used to the device naturally. Which is why even as they age console games continue to look better but as we can see now the PS2 is nearing the end of the tether. If the Cell was more powerful than, say, an AMD Athlon it would cost a lot more too.

Don't really like when people just say "Halo, XBOX wins hands down." I don't even find halo that great (plus I suck)...and I can't stand the xbox controller. But I also don't like when people pick the PS because they have GTA or GT or MGS or something.

And I think MS should have done something like Sony does, create a smaller version.... the Xbox is huge and now with the small ps2 I like it. I waited till the slim PS2 came out to buy my own (though my dad bought it the first day it came out, my brother eventually took it over). And I'm not making any speculation till they all come out.

Games... all you ever hear about Xbox is Halo... it will eventually come out for PC. Even some with PS do like GTA... I much prefer ATi though... unfortunately I wasn't a fan of Xbox :shrug:

I always give the next gen a shot too... no matter what it is, so I'll try out all three.

I told myself I wasn't going to spend more money on a new console. Then I heard devil may cry 4 was coming out around my birthday and I have to play it. I don't know why people say that PS2 isn't sturdy and will break easy. I had mine for a while and my brother got one. Both are still running fine and I am not too interested in xbox games. Does anyone know if I can use a PS2 memory card in the PS3? I think it's kind of dumb that they need to make you keep buying new ones.

Exfoliate said:
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1190/Xbox-360-Interview-Todd-Holmdahl/p3/
This answered some questions but you guys were also very helpful, thanks:)
Although the guy interviewed in the article I linked is probably a little bias he seems to know what he's talking about and makes the 360 out ot be a very good match for the PS3.

that artical sounds very biases, first simply because any site dedicated to one console over the other is never going to be objective, but then there is also what he said.

general proccessing power is not the main factor in game performance, plus the XBOX 360 divides it on 3 cores, games really don't make much use of multi-core at all because most of the general processing is sequential, you need process A before you can do B and B before before you can do C so there is little that can be done in parallel that's why an athlon FX57 with a single 2.8Ghz core still trounces a X2 4800+ with it's dual 2.4Ghz cores in gaming, 2.8Ghz is faster than 2.4Ghz and the 2nd core is dead weight, so already they are basicaly on even ground.

next take on top of that fact that the only time games are general processing power limited is at low resolutions and since both consoles are going to be running HD that won't be an issue, at 1920x1080 even a single 3Ghz/3000+ processor is overkill to obtain the FPS a TV is actualy able to display, at that point it comes down to it's graphics processing ability, the XBOX's GPU is a little faster than the PS3, but the PS3 has all those extra cores help doing some of the graphic processing.

pretty much in the end it basicaly seems to come to the PS3 is more powerfull than the XBOX 360, but the XBOX 360 is a lot easier to program games for.

I don't doubt the guy is bias, he's not going to say "Oh yeah the PS3 is actually the superior machine but who cares about hardware anyway." I'm sure the PS3 sites are saying that their console is loads better and the 360 is a push over etc. It's that way with most companies naturally.
If both were coming out the same day this would be a difficult decision for me but I'd probably still go 360 as I have a PS2 but no Xbox 1 so that's a gap there. And if the 360's cheaper and easier to program games for they should be cranking them out faster and in more quanity so that's a plus to. I'll probably get the PS3 sometime near the end of next summer if I have the money. That way I'll have seen what it's capable of and what the game line up looks like.

I'd recomend 360 for 3 reasons: Comes out very soon, cheaper, and probably will have pc functions if you load linux on it.

-maddog- said:
I'd recomend 360 for 3 reasons: Comes out very soon, cheaper, and probably will have pc functions if you load linux on it.
just because it comes out earlier doesn't mean i would buy it. my brother in law had an xbox and i didn't enjoy any of the games he had. i'm not saying it's a bad console i just don't enjoy it. if it means waiting to get a better console with games (in my opinion. not stating a fact) it's worth it to me.

I have my NES and SNES, that's good enough for me. :D

However, both see very little use, maybe 3 or 4 hours a year, cause my PC pwnz anything out there when it comes to enjoyable addictive gaming. 8)

Although if I had to choose, it'd be the PS3, because no games on Microshaft's consoles have ever interested me. Halo was a joke.

You silly XBOX 360 fan boys. I can't wait to see the looks on your red faces when the PS3 is released. Oh it will dominate my friends...it will dominate. As far as using a console for PC applications is concerned...what's the point? Consoles are for games. If you want to fold or run Linux use a PC. And you can't compare the PS2 with the XBOX. The PS2 was created and released years before the XBOX, and it's still going strong.

Seven7Thirty30 said:
You silly XBOX 360 fan boys. I can't wait to see the looks on your red faces when the PS3 is released. Oh it will dominate my friends...it will dominate. As far as using a console for PC applications is concerned...what's the point? Consoles are for games. If you want to fold or run Linux use a PC. And you can't compare the PS2 with the XBOX. The PS2 was created and released years before the XBOX, and it's still going strong.

We are Americans we don't care about the future and are lazy ie: Iraq, global warming, hurricanes, etc. We we quick easy fast now even though if will hundreds times harder than just taking the slightly harder way. I think Microsoft and Sony may get flushed down the toilet and Nentendo will be left, though I'm with the 360. Interesting thing the PS3 actually runs in 1080 hd.

I still use my NES and SNES. I'm not saying PS3 rocks XBOX sucks but XBOX games never really interested me so the wait is worth it IMO

-maddog- said:
We are Americans we don't care about the future and are lazy ie: Iraq, global warming, hurricanes, etc. We we quick easy fast now even though if will hundreds times harder than just taking the slightly harder way.

I can't even begin to revise your statement into an intelligent one that reads in gramatically correct english. What does any of that have to do with the topic?

Seven7Thirty30 said:
I can't even begin to revise your statement into an intelligent one that reads in gramatically correct english. What does any of that have to do with the topic?
What does gramatically correct English have to do with the topic?
I really don't understand how the PS3 will be able to compete with the XBox360 if it's released after the holiday season. If the PS3 and the XBox360 were to come out at the same time, I would take a PS3, though because I'm not a huge fan of MS.

Back