• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xbox audio cdr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ageeb

Just curious, does anyone have troubles playing audio cd-r's in their xbox? Wasn't sure where to put this, so I stuck it here :)

I don't see how this has anything to do with windows... but anyway, yeah most xbox's have trouble with cd-r's(an antipiracy implimentation), but suprisingly, a lot of cd-rws work with xbox drives.

considering the choice of area's, my logic told me it does have a microsoft os, see? I don't think this area is limited to windows :)

thank you though, I'll try the rw.

edit: typo

uh... this section is limited to microsoft operating systems, as in windows xp/me/server/etc. The xbox thing is a general hardware question, it has nothing to do with operating systems. Just because an item contains an os doesnt mean that it has anything to do with that, and you'd probably get better responses from the general hardware section, or perhaps even the storage area.

I don't want to get into a pissin contest, but it's not a hardware question as much as software. I'm sure I could replace the drive with another make and get the same issue. It's the os of xbox, hence modded xbox's not having issues with cd-r's. You'd go to GH I elected here. It was meant to be a quick, painless question with the common denominator between the section and problem ms os.

um actually... different drives have different success rates with cd-rs and cd-rws. You could get a different xbox revision or "generation", and depending on the drive you might get cd-rs to work. I have a launch revision 1 xbox and cd-rs never work. On the other hand my friend just got one a few months ago, and some cd-rs work on his xbox. Microsoft initally made the systems with drives that wouldnt read burned cd's but apparently things changed. Like I said it is a HARDWARE issue. I'm not trying to pick a fight I'm just stating a fact.

edit: to elaborate further, there are three main drives used, a thompson, a philips, and a samsung. The thompsons suck *** and sometimes dont even work with regular game discs(stupid errors). The phillips is better, but still has trouble with cd-rs. Apparently xboxs with the samsung drive can read cd-rs fine. It isnt an os issue.

ok. I assumed software, because the xbox has the newer samsung drive in it (the box is only a month or 2 old) and I can't find ANY other cd player that won't allow it to work. Atm, I'm stuck with a couple 650rw's and those are to small. I'll update later if it works. Prodigious, again, thanks. Sorry to butt heads.

Edit:
Update: Rw's worked wonderfully.

Last edited:
Back