• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeons unstable on x58 boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo1999

Last week I received a xeon Q3QS engineering sample from an eBay seller. It is supposed to be exactly like an e5649.

I installed it in my MSI x58 Platinum SLI board and was able to boot at default speeds, but got an 0x00000124 bluescreen. I continued to get these at almost each boot. Heat is not the issue. I had a Thermaltake Ultra 120 on the chip with proper thermal grease. CPU voltage also doesn't seem to be the issue, as I tried raising it up to .25 over stock and still got the bluescreens. Other fiddling with voltages for qpi, pll, etc did not increase stability. The only thing that made this chip stable was underclocking by multi to 2.0ghz.

I decided the chip was probably faulty and contacted the seller. He said he had run prime for 24 hours on the chip in an EVGA Classified SR2 stable, but that he had tried chips from the same batch on an Asus Sabertooth and had stability problems. His idea was that maybe consumer x58 boards are not compatible with these xeons.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I was planning on returning the CPU for an exchange, but if the new one is likely to have the same problem then I may want to ask for a refund instead.

my rig:
MSI x58 Platinum SLI
3x2gb OCZ DDR3-12800
Radeon HD 5870
Corsair 750w PSU
Large generic case with plenty of fans
Perc5i card and 4x1tb Seagate Sata drives
Western Digital 500gb Sata drive booting Win7 64

About the board: This board was running an i7 920 at stock speed stable for the past 2 years or so, and is now running a xeon e5440 stable. It has basically been worthless for overclocking though. I tried to bump the FSB on my i7 up to 140 and it won't boot, regardless of voltage, underclocking the memory, etc. Running a utility in Windows, I can overclock the FSB to about 142 stable, at least on the i7. I didn't try on any other CPU.

I ran an L5640 and L5670 in both my p6t deluxe and also in a rampage 3 formula without any issues at all. scary the little L5640 would do 250 bclk on air

That's good to know. The seller said I can wait till the end of the week to decide whether to return or not. I bought a Sabertooth which I should get Thursday, so I'll test on that and hopefully it will work.

Back