• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xsuperbgx's Volt modding, zombies and electronics learning thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Someone passed my score with a 7900gtx on the geforce challenge today. So I got determined. The voltmod on that one is done. I tested what the max clocks were when testing it before, so we should see what kind of difference the mod makes. Perhaps I should mount a pot on it too......

Perhaps?
Perhaps?!

Abso*(!@#&^%*!&@%#$*(^&(&@*$#%lutely mount a pot!
Of course it might CB/CBB/CS at 0c, but 0c beats 70c by a long shot.

hmmm... bolts for homemade pot do not fit through nvidia holes.
What are the chances that I could drill them larger and the card survives?

The holes look like they may attach ground from one side of card to the other.. IMAG0941.jpg .

Last edited:
Good, I've done it. Though not to a 7900GTX
You have a bit of room around the bolt holes, and odds are they don't have to be more than a tiny bit larger.

7900gtx runs full pot!
Anyone know how high i should dare to take the volts?

Well, stock is probably like 1.3 to 1.4v.
I'd say 1.7 till you have a good score, then the sky's the limit.

I tried but could not get any better. I may have to get the cpu cold and beat him that way. My card clocks better but his cpu went faster.

which test are you competing with? most likely if you are using the 7900 you will want some good CPU speeds.

It was the 3d03 challenge at Hwbot. I can't do cold very well. CPU or board coldbugs.

I am sure I can get ahead of that score if I work at it more. It is only 350 points or so ahead of me.

Yeah, don't forget LOD and driver versions as well can make a huge difference.

Sounds like you need to sell your MVG and get another that doesn't coldbug (same issue IMOG had)

Has anybody got a phenom ii that they can do LN2 on ? as I'm getting some dice next week for the k8 catagory, gunna try and get up near the bigger points in that section but it won't cut it for the k10 as there's already a run under LN2 in first and I can't get nowhere near his score on dice

I am inactively looking for a good board and CPU for k10, but i don't have anything yet.

I have a 955 that should be beautiful on LN2 in theory.
I'm hoping it'll like my 990FXA-UD7.

That's good ! as we are way down the list as it stands and there's a lot of points to be had, it's a shame nobody has old amd gear as its easy points. Just realised I posted this and my last in supers thread , I was certain I put the first one in the team cup thread, old age is creeping up :screwy:

9800 GT is done. Mod is in place for vgpu and for vmem. Added a couple caps that were not on there before.

IMAG0995.jpg

IMAG0994.jpg

Also here are some pictures of the power supply in a 32" LCD TV that did not work. I got 2 of these. After taking apart I see that there are bulged capacitors in the power supply. I wrote down the specs from each and bought parts. I replaced the caps in both TV's in a couple hours.
You can see the bulged caps in the first few pictures.
IMAG0982.jpg
IMAG0971.jpg
IMAG0983.jpg

Here is the finished product and a view of the TV showing a movie.
(free point if you guess the movie)
IMAG0984.jpg
IMAG0979.jpg

This is an easy project and I would recommend to anyone as a first project or as a soldering refresher.

well done on fixing the TVs!

How'd you find out the power supply was dead?

I actually just assumed on these. Monitors that turn on briefly or turn on but the screen stays black seem to usually be caps. Often times it is the caps in the high voltage areas for the backlight. I usually just take them apart and see what I can see in them. I have a monitor that I got that burned a trace going to the backlight. I don't know if that is a light issue or what on that. I put a wire in place of the burned trace and it still got hot and quit working after a while. (middle of a wp1024 run on a single core cpu) I haven't looked at it further.

Back