• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your Guide to Setting Up a HLDS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
omg this thread... ROX!

I have a file-server, but it's actually 2gb ram and a dual core... I was thinking about running something cheaper for Steam as I kinda didn't want to run it on my file-server, but maybe I will combine both into one server after-all... what ya think?

sry but its not working......

still the same problem .... :bang head:
You have the hldsupadtetool installation exe NOT the actual hldsupdatetool you really need :D I know this sucks becuse well... You know Valve.

To fix this DOUBLE CLICK (do not run with cmd) on the exe and install it into Your computer. This will unpack the REAL hldsupdatetool You need. And after this You can use it with command line to install Your gameserver.

omg this thread... ROX!

I have a file-server, but it's actually 2gb ram and a dual core... I was thinking about running something cheaper for Steam as I kinda didn't want to run it on my file-server, but maybe I will combine both into one server after-all... what ya think?

Easily. When I made this thread I was rocking it on Duron 900MHz processor. Your dual core server would be ballin!

You may have to take the guide past the basic HLDS (aka addons) with a grain of salt as idk how much has changed since I made the thread. The basic hlds will be the same though. Just follow the guide exactly and you won't have any problems :)

Com-on mods ..."STICKY" this !!! ... pleeeeease ;)

Btw , nice work ps2cho . :D

I agree, we need to Sticky this.

Anyone have any ideas on if my server being connected via wireless would cause lag?

Com-on mods ..."STICKY" this !!! ... pleeeeease ;)

Btw , nice work ps2cho . :D

It was sticked a while ago until they cleaned up everything and created the console section.

I don't know how many people actually use it on this forum though. The 60k+ hits I have are mainly from other sites referencing this thread.

As to wireless lag, yes very likely. There is alot of data to pass through wirelessly. I initially had mine over wireless and I did notice a big difference when plugged in with an ethernet cable.

Easily. When I made this thread I was rocking it on Duron 900MHz processor. Your dual core server would be ballin!

You may have to take the guide past the basic HLDS (aka addons) with a grain of salt as idk how much has changed since I made the thread. The basic hlds will be the same though. Just follow the guide exactly and you won't have any problems :)

Will there be any gains by using a dual-core machine with 2gb ram instead of say a Pentium 4 with 1gb of ram?

Will there be any gains by using a dual-core machine with 2gb ram instead of say a Pentium 4 with 1gb of ram?
It doesn't give You much advantage becuse You can only use one core with hlds.exe becuse it is not multithreaded application.

Only advantage You can have is to run it on 1 core and put all other programs to second one. This means if You use Your other programs it wont itercept with Your HLDS server.

not working

please help me.... i updated all the files and then added a shortcut in the desktop .. and added the things u told in the target box ... but when i click hlds.exe then its says metamod version .........etcetc.. but then the command prompt disappears .... amx mod version is also not seen there in the command prompt

not working

:confused:please help me.... i updated all the files and then added a shortcut in the desktop .. and added the things u told in the target box ... but when i click hlds.exe then its says metamod version .........etcetc.. but then the command prompt disappears .... amx mod version is also not seen there in the command prompt

missing blog archive file

when i type in hldsupdatetool -update czero email password y and then press enter it says.....
checking bootstrap version
updating installation
cannot open blog archive file:cmultifieldblob<mem-mapped file> file does not exist or failed to create a new file ...

what can i do pl help me.......... i have been trying this for three days

i created everything but when i click hlds.exe shortcut in the desktop.. it asks for which game, udp ,map etc.. i give in all the details and then click ok... it says starting a dedicated server and then the small box disappears.. there is no notification for the server being created.... what shall i do.... i also tried to connect with my wan and lan ip.s....but no use please help me:confused:

new problem

when i start cscz and then get into new multiplayer game open the console and see it shows as follows

adding master server ...
adding master server ...
bala connected
master requestrestart
Your server is out of date. Please update and restart.

what shall i do no name in server list also... not able to connect via lan and wan ip also
...i aslo updated the cscz using hldsupdatetool..pl help me

Do the following:

hldsupdatetool -update

That should update the HLDS alone IIRC.

ok well ive been trying to figure out how to make my own server on css and got up to the part where i have to update it but everytime i try i get this error:
cannot open blob archive file: Cmultifieldblob<mem-mapped file>: file does not exist and failed to create new file
now ive read countless solutions and none have helped me... i dunno what the problem is ive tried so many things.. anyone is entitled to give suggestions. thanks.

Can't believe I am still getting PM's asking for permission to post on other sites LOL!

Made this thread like 3 years ago.

Stupid question I hope

After setting up the server, how do I or others start the game? I'm just looking to play Opposing Force with a couple of friends online. It appears I have the server running ok. Do we just start the game as usual and then "add server" under internet games?

The reason I'm trying to set up a server is because when we try to create an online game in Opposing Force, it always says " Opposing Force execution file out of date".

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've been reading this and other forums for three days straight.
John

Back