• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 55 Memory Error / Aida64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
My 6600K Z170 MB gave me a 55 LED memory error code which is plain enough to understand but the CPU overclock reverted to default from 4300GHz to 3900GHz.

Is that normal if a memory stick goes bad?

EDIT: 3900GHz

Last edited:
900 MHz? Is that what CPUz is showing?

That is an odd value...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so 3.9 GHz... gotcha (3900 MHz). Stock for the CPU.

That is odd. I would maybe consider starting over from scratch. Set optimized defaults, save, reboot... then enable XMP, save and reboot.. and see if the 55 code happens. If not, then put your OC back on.

CPU core voltage also reverted to default (1.15v I think is default, from 1.265v overclock) and that's where I'm running AIDA64 so essentially I'm at default by accident. I just thought that was odd or if it's a built-in safety MB safety measure. The machine did lock up.

How does AIDA64 show an error? I've used it for so long without incident and it's so quiet.

Last edited:
Ok, so 3.9 GHz... gotcha (3900 MHz). Stock for the CPU.

That is odd. I would maybe consider starting over from scratch. Set optimized defaults, save, reboot... then enable XMP, save and reboot.. and see if the 55 code happens. If not, then put your OC back on.

Four hours @ stock CPU and RAM, shows OK

Four hours @ XMT OC (in my sig) and OK.

Beats me, all running OK now.

You can see the 55 error when the memory is faulty or when the motherboard has any problem to read the memory module. If your PC was working fine and suddenly there was a 55 error then just try to reseat the module and check if it works. You can also clean memory contacts with some high % alcohol.
CPU OC doesn't affect memory in terms of safety. It may limit memory OC but usually not below 3600 mem clock.

Back