• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 Extreme6. New build. Wont post, error 99.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thus is why it's confusing. Why would the bios be for an EX4 and installed on an EX6+ board unless both boards share the same bios? That's just real stupid on AsRock's part. :facepalm:

Thx for the pics Jeff.

He said he did...:confused:
And I did the Internet flash through bios. I'm now on the most recent bios for the EX4+.

Regardless, flash it, without windows, to the latest ex6 bios on a USB stick and all will be well in the world, lol! I wouldn't have done the internet update and just did what you needed to do. :)

:confused:He said he did...

Regardless, flash it, without windows, to the latest ex6 bios on a USB stick and all will be well in the world, lol! I wouldn't have done the internet update and just did what you needed to do. :)

It came with EX4 bios, i just did the Internet flash in the bios since I didn't have a way to download the EX6 bios. It doesn't let you pick anything, it just updates (that's how I got a newer EX4 bios). Once windows is done, I can download it to a flash drive and do the bios flash in the bios.

Yep..knew that. Just figured you had another pc in the house and would grab the right bios off the website. I didn't expect you to flash the newest bios that wasn't for your board, regardless if it was the only option, lol!

Yep..knew that. Just figured you had another pc in the house and would grab the right one off the website. I'd didn't expect you to flash the newest bios that wasn't for your board, regardless if it was the only option, lol!

Lol, I was hoping it would have gotten the ex6 one. I have a 'B' bios so I can always revert back with a switch of a jumper.
I do have another pc, but it's in use so I figured why not try. I'll do it the correct way once my windows install is done (probably already done, I should go check on it).

Thus is why it's confusing. Why would the bios be for an EX4 and installed on an EX6+ board unless both boards share the same bios? That's just real stupid on AsRock's part. :facepalm:

Thx for the pics Jeff.

No, they don't.
But lookin' at specs for both boards, it looks as the 6 is built off of the 4...just with some added geegaws.

Exactly. Shouldn't be much difference. But enough to where the right one on there is a good idea. :)

Report back and let us know! :)

My respect for Asrock just went down a click. That board should have never left like that.

Jeff....
where'd ya get the board from?
Just wonderin' if you may have gotten an open box that someone had already futzed with ;)

Jeff....
where'd ya get the board from?
Just wonderin' if you may have gotten an open box that someone had already futzed with ;)
It came from Newegg. And the bios chips on the board are labeled p2.40, which according to AsRock's site that is only for the EX4. EX6 should have been p2.50.

hows abouts returning that board to newegg and restarting this project on the right foot, it's wrong now and can only go wrongety, wrong, wrong, wrong.

It came from Newegg. And the bios chips on the board are labeled p2.40, which according to AsRock's site that is only for the EX4. EX6 should have been p2.50.
I didn't know they put the starting bios on the chips themselves.............typically its just what kind of chip it is because the same chip is used in many other boards.

hows abouts returning that board to newegg and restarting this project on the right foot, it's wrong now and can only go wrongety, wrong, wrong, wrong.
As I have mentioned throughout the thread, you just need to flash it to the right one. But I would be sure to let ASROck know (as he did) and maybe newegg.

I wouldn't return a thing. I would let the parties know in case of some bologna in the future and flash the thing. This thread is here to serve as proof as well... :)

I just looked on my extreme6 board and have 1.20 and the other is labelled extreme6 1.80

Which, there is no 1.80 for the ext6 listed :sly:

The latest BIOS on the Z170 Ex4+ is 2.70. The latest on the Ex6+ is 2.50...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Extreme4+/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Extreme6+/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

There is a difference in Ex4 and Ex4+/Ex6 and Ex6+. :)

(Good reason why I asked for a signature... for clarity *cough* JEFF~ *cough* :rofl:)

I am left wondering why it didn't update to the 'latest' version... but this type of behavior further supports my 'don't flash like that get it from the website on a USB stick' method, LOL!

I just looked on my extreme6 board and have 1.20 and the other is labelled extreme6 1.80

Which, there is no 1.80 for the ext6 listed :sly:
AS for you, I am guessing you have the Z170 Ex6 non +? The Ex4 non + has a 1.80V. ;)

Last edited:
I didn't know they put the starting bios on the chips themselves.............typically its just what kind of chip it is because the same chip is used in many other boards.
They've been doing that for a long time. It's just a sticker. I have 10 year old Asrock boards like that.

Stickers, yes... for some reason I assume "labeled" inferred it was silk screened on the BIOS chip itself... :chair:

^^ When being too literal hurts. :rofl:

Whats odd, is updating via the Internet update got me to p3.20 which isnt listed at all.
Also, how do I flash it from bios with usb? I downloaded the bios from asrock, but it tells me 'no image file detected' when I try to do an instant flash from usb in the bios.

Back