• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170 Extreme6. New build. Wont post, error 99.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you put the file in the root or is it in a folder on the USB drive? It's easier to put it in the root for the BIOS to recognize it. Make sure the file is extracted out if it came zipped (it does). It will not find it if it is still a zip file.

I formatted the drive, unzipped the file, and put it on the drive. It's the only thing on the drive.
I'll try a different usb port to be safe.

Also, looking at their instructions, it should be a .exe file (thats what they picture) and its not for sure.
And does it matter what file system the usb is formatted to?

And according to HWMonitor, my cpu temps are running 5° below ambient.

It should NOT be an EXE file for flashing through the BIOS. Sometimes the drive needs to be formatted in FAT32.

Temps below ambient are not correct. That is impossible. Temp sensors are not really accurate at idle anyway, but get more accurate as it gets warmer. Idle temps are not particularly relevant unless they are abnormally hot. Clearly that is not the case here. ;)

Im going to try formatting again just to make sure. If it doesn't work, I've seen where sometimes i have to put it in a folder called bios. I'll try that too.

And I figured the sub-ambient temps where wrong one mere water cooling ;)

and you use a usb 2.0 port not a usb 3.0 port.
:thup:

Im going to try formatting again just to make sure. If it doesn't work, I've seen where sometimes i have to put it in a folder called bios. I'll try that too.

And I figured the sub-ambient temps where wrong one mere water cooling ;)
Try it as FAT32 (don't just try to reformat as NTFS!!!) as was suggested. :)

Reformatted to fat32, did "full format" not "quick format" if it makes a difference.
Unzipped the file qnd placed in on the usb. Didnt work.
Made a folder called bios and put it in there, didnt work.
Any more suggestions? I downloaded the file right from AsRock's website, the most recent bios for the EX6+.

Didn't work... to be clear, means the board cannot find the file on the USB, correct? Have you tried another USB stick? And also to be clear, you are extacting the ZIP, which yields to a folder... inside that folder is the BIOS file... ends in XXXX.50, correct? And that is the file you are putting in root on the USB stick, yes?

EDIT: If that doesn't work, get the Windows BIOS (the one that is .exe) and update it through Windows. ;)

Really? Must have missed it in the manual. Nice catch! Where does it say that for the ex6+?

I have x99 OCF with w10 and flashed in windows IIRC...

Correct on both accounts. It says no image found. It's a .50 file, unzipped and extracted from the folder. It's the only file on the usb. And I'm on windows 10.

Thanks! Right on the main page..lol! Like I said I did it before with my x99... he's has two bios....I'd still try it! What's the worst that happens, he borks that bios and uses the other?

Been away for a moment.
I'm on an Asrock now....downed the instant flash ver...unpacked and copied to a fat32 formatted thumb drive...rebooted...f2...clicked instant flash and was ready to rock, not a hitch.

I tried it with both f2 to get to the uefi and f6 for the instant flash. Neither found the image.
Dinner time, ill try again later. At least everything else is running smoothly right now!

Okay, what am I doing wrong:

*New video uploading, see reply below*

- - - Updated - - -

I tried multiple usb drives and multiple usb2 and usb3 ports.

Last edited:
I know the video looked like I dragged it to desktop, but i promise its on the usb drive:

20160626_225212_zpsal00gvvi.jpg

I'm uploading a second video, that better shows that I'm not completely stupid ;)
It is on the removable drive for sure.

Last edited:
Back