• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z270 Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Time for me to rebuild the main. Tho I don't have any issues whatsoever with my current build, as it's rock steady stable, I just want to upgrade to something newer.

So along with the 7700K,

ASrock Z270 Extreme 4 = https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157738

and some G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 = https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232381

I really want an M2 drive too, but I'm starting to feel my pockets getting light :(

I'll be reusing the remainder of the parts from my current build. My 1070 still chews through my games with ease and my psu is only about a month or so old. Of course my cooling is plenty and my case is prestine.

Depending on the temps of the chip, I'll then decide wether imma pop the top off or not. Anything else i overlooked/missed?

Time for me to rebuild the main. Tho I don't have any issues whatsoever with my current build, as it's rock steady stable, I just want to upgrade to something newer.

So along with the 7700K,

ASrock Z270 Extreme 4 = https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157738

and some G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 = https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232381

I really want an M2 drive too, but I'm starting to feel my pockets getting light :(

I'll be reusing the remainder of the parts from my current build. My 1070 still chews through my games with ease and my psu is only about a month or so old. Of course my cooling is plenty and my case is prestine.

Depending on the temps of the chip, I'll then decide wether imma pop the top off or not. Anything else i overlooked/missed?

To be Frank with you, you wouldn't see much increase in performance that is marginally worth the money by upgrading to a 7700k. I run a kabylake setup, a non k 7700 to be exact. This generation of i7 has just been handled poorly with complaints of poor temperature all across. Without a delid, you're definitely limited by around 15% of total efficiency. As for M.2 personally I can't see discernible difference that would significantly justify the price tag.

I'd say, wait it out. Wouldn't be long until Intel or AMD wow us with something new and innovative for consumer grade processing solutions.

Just did something similar Neb. Not up and running yet but I'm typing on my 4770k right now, keeping it as Unit 2. Took most of the day. Had to spring for a new case as my 15 year old TT couldn't handle all the tubes & rads. You know me, lot's of AIO.

Post how it turns out.

To be Frank with you, you wouldn't see much increase in performance that is marginally worth the money by upgrading to a 7700k. I run a kabylake setup, a non k 7700 to be exact. This generation of i7 has just been handled poorly with complaints of poor temperature all across. Without a delid, you're definitely limited by around 15% of total efficiency. As for M.2 personally I can't see discernible difference that would significantly justify the price tag.

I'd say, wait it out. Wouldn't be long until Intel or AMD wow us with something new and innovative for consumer grade processing solutions.

Yeah I've waited 3 years and I'm overdue for that New Electronic Parts Smell ;) Still tho, having a new build that will last me 3-4 years is my limit.

Just did something similar Neb. Not up and running yet but I'm typing on my 4770k right now, keeping it as Unit 2. Took most of the day. Had to spring for a new case as my 15 year old TT couldn't handle all the tubes & rads. You know me, lot's of AIO.

Post how it turns out.

Nice! I was thinking about doing the same turning the 4790k system as #2, but I've got a lappy for that. Maybe put it up for grabs on the cheapo in the classies too to offset the new build cost. Be sure to post pics of that new beast! :thup:

I'd wait a bit as well... Maybe saving a few more bucks and going SkylakeX or RYzen 2? New platform, the whole shebang!

Waiting myself... Fighting against this bloody upgrade urge that comes every 6 months, while I have a machine that still chews anything I throw@it... lol!

Hmm..interesting. I've been known to jump the gun a bit and then kick myself in the head afterwards. I dunno if I'll be saving a few more bucks by going with the new Skylake X platform tho. Soons it launches it'll be fetching more dookats. I'm working with a set budget in mind.

Looks like a good new parts smell project. I'm thinking of a side grade for my self going from i5 6600k to i5 7600k.:D

Thx wingman. I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoyed building it, getting it running and fine tweaking it. But then that part of the fun is over and it's just press the power button and done. Then 3 years later you do it all over again. You know the 3 year itch, lol.

Still some kinks to work out, clean up, cloning; but the Z270 is coming along. Got it Folding now, took all day, missing opencl.dll file, buggered NVidia drivers, but it's stock at 4.3GHz, ram @ 3400 cl 15. Smooth as silk. Hope to get the M.2 in it tomorrow.

Thx wingman. I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoyed building it, getting it running and fine tweaking it. But then that part of the fun is over and it's just press the power button and done. Then 3 years later you do it all over again. You know the 3 year itch, lol.

I don't even want to wait 3 years, I would just like to try a new Intel processor now LOL:D.

Still some kinks to work out, clean up, cloning; but the Z270 is coming along. Got it Folding now, took all day, missing opencl.dll file, buggered NVidia drivers, but it's stock at 4.3GHz, ram @ 3400 cl 15. Smooth as silk. Hope to get the M.2 in it tomorrow.

Nice! I remembered building rigs for the sole purpose of running F@H. After several years of that and failure of parts and the cost of replacing those parts along with those electrical bills, that got old real quick. Would've been nice if Stamford would've sent a stipend of sorts to cover those costs. But of course that wasn't gonna happen and I retired all my folding rigs and use my main rig for my entertainments.

But if you built your new rig for folding, more power to ya. I wouldn't do it, but then that's me. I paid my dues.

I don't even want to wait 3 years, I would just like to try a new Intel processor now LOL:D.

Ha! I hear ya! lmao!! If I had the ability to upgrade on a set time on a regular basis, I wouldn't wait 3 years either! When I get the opportunity (and the funds) to upgrade, I try to jump on it. I try my best to use my rig for some years until I can justify the upgrade ;) My pockets are burning right now! :rofl:

But if you built your new rig for folding, more power to ya. I wouldn't do it, but then that's me. I paid my dues.

Also for work. I run my business from my home and wanted two separate systems going, some mirroring going on, some independent files/programs. I'm having curious thoughts about VR as well, so figured this would be a step forward in that regard too.

Also for work. I run my business from my home and wanted two separate systems going, some mirroring going on, some independent files/programs. I'm having curious thoughts about VR as well, so figured this would be a step forward in that regard too.

Ahh, I see. Well hopefully the new rig won't die a horrible death like so many I've built in the past for F@H ;) Enjoy that new rig! :thup:

I'm starting to rethink my upgrade path. The new X299 is looking really interesting. Back during the Z77 I was gonna make the jump to X79, but decided against it since the X79 was geared towards full x16 SLI/Xfire since they had the PLX chipset and I was staying with a single vid card. I went Z77, then Z97 and skipped both the X79 & X99.

Now my dilemna is the Z270 with the 7700K or the X299 with the 7820X or a 7740K. I'm so confused :bang head

I've seen quite a few MB manufacturers introducing X299 in the last couple of weeks. So board pricing should be competitive at least. The lowest end chip is just under $400 so it's not stretching past the 7700k too far. Do you have and DDR4? RAM is mostly pricey these days.

I'm looking at that x299,and drooling over it. However,my wallet has previous engagements in mind.

For me,the only things i can see upgrading any time soon is my ram and psu(age related).

8gigs is showing its limits at long last.

Well if a psu is what you need pm me. I have something you might like ;)

Someone on [H] has a z170 board/7700k/16gb 2400 combo for a sweet deal that I'm thinking about. Not too crazy about that ram tho.

*Update*

Decided against it. I figured I might as well buy what I really want and be happy instead of buying something I'm not going to be happy with for the sake of saving a few dollars.

Last edited:
Back