• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z270 vs z390 vrm question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

Odd question I know, but does anyone know if the vrm heatsinks on the z270 and z390 boards are interchangeable?

Probably not as the z390 will tend to have more/better vrms and for a heatsink you need it to be physically touching them but if it's not a solid fit you can use a thicker thermal pad but that will reduce the heat transfer.

Maybe some would be by coincidence, but, they are not interchangeable. The holes have to match up... distances from the chokes and other parts, etc... typically not. The issue wouldn't be on thermal contact so much as room and the holes matching up IMO.

Maybe some would be by coincidence, but, they are not interchangeable. The holes have to match up... distances from the chokes and other parts, etc... typically not. The issue wouldn't be on thermal contact so much as room and the holes matching up IMO.

This is kinda what I was thinking would be the issue. I love the bitspower vrm waterblock on my gaming 8, it's going to prevent me from upgrading for a long time I think. Fits in with my build so well, I'll never want to get rid of it.

This is why I don't watercool VRMs... I tend to change boards a bit more frequently.

I picked this board up from Austin (review board) knowing I'd be keeping my 6700k for a long time. And here I am a couple years later looking at upgrades. I should have known myself better than that lol.

Back