• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

z77 MoBo msi-GD65 or Asrock Extreme4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

Hi guys,

Just got a 3770k that I've successfully delidded.

I have the choice between a MSI gd65 and an Asrock Extreme4 (both z77).

I am not fond of MSi, but I've heard it's not a bad board.

What do you think?

that msi board is a step up from the asrock that you mentioned. I have had the gd65 and also the asrock extreme6. both are good boards, it basically comes down to looks or a bios preference, and the bioses are setup way different between those makers. neither is a bad choice, but think I would choose the msi if the price is the same

Thanks Dejo.

Yep, price about the same for both (+/- €90 used).

Manu, I'll just give you my opinion on the Asrock board because I own it. It works well for me never an issue. I have my 2500k Oced on Air to 4.7 on it 24/7 and maxed out at 5.3 @ 1.48 v. I find the bios fairly easy to navigate through, though I don't like the following. I don't like I can only save 3 BIOS profiles, I'm spoiled by the CHV I have and the 8 profiles. I also don't like how the motherboard controls the fan speed, clearly that's not a big issue, but it buggs me a bit.

Thanks Mandrake,

I had a couple of Asrock myself and was very happy with them. These were high end one (Fatality z68 pro and Fatality z77 pro-m) and worked flawlessly.

I am sure the Extreme4 is a fine piece of harware as well, but I read the MSI GD-65 was kind of boxing in the upper category.

Still thinking... lol!

I have the x77 extreme6 and z77 oc formula as well as a z87 extreme6 and the msi z77gd65. other than the oc formula, they are all pretty close boards. the ocf steps up the game

Well, just got an Asus p8z68-v pro gen3... should work just fine!

Back