• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z77 motherboard recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turok_t

Registered
Hey guys I've been out of the computer realm for sometime and need some recommendation on a z77 motherboard. I'm planning to get i5 3750k and looking for a mobo with maximum overclocking ability. Ive done some research and theres a mix between asus, asrock, and gigabyte. So im not too sure which board to get. So anyhow, here are my questions

1. Which z77 mobo would u recommend?
2. What kind and brand of ram would u recommend?

Thanks for all your help!!

Last edited:
Best bang for the buck is the ASrock Extreme4 or the Extreme6. Both boards are user friendly and have all the overclocking features you would want to clock that 3570k to your hearts content. :thup:

As for ram, you can't go wrong with Gskill.

For 'maximum' overclock abilities and bang for your buck, I would go with a Asrock Z77 Extreme 6.

As far as ram, any will do. Ram is ram for the most part. That said, unless you are benchmarking with this system in Hwbot, grab any DDR3 1600MHz 1.5v and call it day.

RAM is RAM, for the most part. 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V are the specs that most people go for now.

Thanks for all your help guys! Back in my days asrock wasn't a really popular choice, how does this board compare with ASUS z77?

Also im guessing gskill is the consensus?

Ram is ram... Gskill is fine. Mushkin is fine, Corsair is fine. Samsung is fine. Super Talent is fine. Adata is fine. I can go on........

Thanks for all your help guys! Back in my days asrock wasn't a really popular choice, how does this board compare with ASUS z77?

Also im guessing gskill is the consensus?

ASRock used to be part of ASUS, then split. They've been rebuilding themselves since and really became a driving force over the past two generations of CPUs.

So would you guys recommend an ASrock mobo over ASUS for the Z77 chipset?

these guys know what theyre talking about... Ive never been sent in the wrong direction when i take their advice.

I just assembled over the weekend a 3770k and Extreme 6 system with 8 gb Gskill sniper 2133 ram.

I like how fast this thing boots and gets in and out of bios. running 4300 mhz on STOCK intel cooler, I have a Evo on the way....

Stress free build so far, booted on first try, and picked up ram and correct settings also btw.

009.jpg

Yes, go with the ASRock....I know I have an AMD build, but I literally went through 3 ASUS M5A99FX pro2.0 mobo's, before I decided to go with the 990Extrreme 3 for my build.

On top of picking ASRock>ASUS mobo....If ever you needed tech support, ASUS as really gone down the drain...

I would refer ASRock over ASUS anyday of the week. Good luck to you! Happy Building!!

I am going with Intel on my next build.I always went the Gigabyte route,but I can see why the extremists recommend the Asrock Z77 Extreme 6.I will definitely oc the cpu,but I only use 1 vc.Is this board overkill for 1 vc.Love the black design,gold caps,and the 8+4 power phase.This should help achieve higher oc's.I always stayed away from Asrock boards because I heard they were flimsy,for lack of better words.I never used Asrock,so its nice to see a high recommendation.

Last edited:
on the Asrock boards i would recommend a LLC (load line compensation) of no higher than 3 in BIOS.
any higher (2, or 1) and it overvolts the vcore under load. just a heads up.
been doing a lot of reading on the board. it's only a issue if your not aware of it. ;)

its strange that 1 is a higher setting and 5 the lowest. :sly:

my Z77 Extreme 4 should be here tomorrow. *shakes fist at snow*

Back