• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
The new Zelda is coming May 12 2023. I hope it will be worth its insane $70 price tag. I guess time will tell.

I'm interested in it, but I hope they make some serious QOL changes from BOTW.

I'm curious what QoL changes you'd like to see.

It breaks down all/most of the thoughts I had in a better way than I can.

TL;DW/My thoughts/ideas

Weapon Durability revamped -- either gone or items are repairable/upgradeable/enchantable in some capacity
Combat being a bit more advanced in terms of tactics.
The ability to climb while it is raining, either via gear or food if needed (nothing worse than being most of the way up a mountain to then have it start raining and you fall).
Dungeons re-added with bosses.
The variety of enemies needs to be increased drastically

Ignoring that I expect the performance of the game to be the same or worse than BOTW which wasn't great in a lot of areas. I really would have liked a 'Switch Pro/2' by now that can actually drive the games at a 1080p (preferably higher res)/60.

Sorry for being such a n00b, but what's QOL (Quality of Life?) and how does it relate to a video game?

I'd love to see a weapon repairability and a combat system more akin to Wind Waker.
Post magically merged:

Sorry for being such a n00b, but what's QOL (Quality of Life?) and how does it relate to a video game?
Correct. Relation would be improvements, whether to ease of gameplay, highly requested features, or new elements to bring variety.

Yep QoL = Quality of Life. Basically improvements that make the players life better. I'm not saying make the game into an easy-mode-I-can't-die game, but some of the things lined out in my previous post should help explain.

The new Zelda is coming May 12 2023. I hope it will be worth its insane $70 price tag. I guess time will tell.

Considering how much time I spent in BotW, then it's still not a bad price ... assuming it will be as good or better. Don't mean me wrong. It's a ridiculous price for a game, but it looks like many other titles are so expensive nowadays, especially for consoles. Today I checked Diablo IV pre-order, and it's not really cheaper - it should be $70 for the basic edition.

After watching the video I agree with many of the things y'all are saying. I do like the idea of better weapon durability and/or repair and climbing in the rain would be huge.

One of my issues with the cost is that nintendo rarely lowers the price of anything. You can still spend $60 to get a new copy of BotW and it is 6 years old at this point.

Hmm none of the things complained about mattered to me. Just a couple 100 hours of fun...I just don't think I am ready for another 200 hour game...Not with Jedi Survivor around the corner...I did come years late to the first BoTW...

I would prefer a better ending instead of just putting you back in the world pre ending...Some finality would be nice. Would have prevented me from killing lynels for another 2 months. :D

Last edited:
Hmm none of the things complained about mattered to me. Just a couple 100 hours of fun...I just don't think I am ready for another 200 hour game...Not with Jedi Survivor around the corner...I did come years late to the first BoTW...

I would prefer a better ending instead of just putting you back in the world pre ending...Some finality would be nice. Would have prevented me from killing lynels for another 2 months. :D
I've started BotW over playing in the Master Mode DLC. It's been slow going because of life (the Switch & TV are in the same room as my wife's WFH office).
I'll get TotK once used copies start to show up at Game Stop.

On a $ to fun basis I would say $70 is cheap. 2 rounds of golf on a decent course is more than that...Or any night out for dinner (Even take out) runs $70. (For four)

It takes me forever to get through a game like this.

Last edited:
I have to agree with that. On the games market, where most titles are in the best case for 5 hours, and most are not even worth being paid for, the Zelda series is totally worth $70, as you spend at least 50-100 hours, and if you wish to find everything, and do every quest then maybe 200+ hours. I'm sure they put much more work into that than Blizzard put into $70 (or more) Diablo 4. Even though I want Diablo 4, then I'm aware they are using an old engine, and everything is made to sell for the masses, so it runs on even very weak specs and doesn't look the best. The new Zelda also doesn't look the best, but it's well-optimized to look and work well on such weak specifications as Switch has. It still looks and feels like a much more advanced game than it is.

Zelda TotK is a lot of fun, but it's not for everyone. So far, I have been playing for about 10h in total, and I can say that the BotW was somehow easier at the beginning. I mean, I could easier figure out where to go and what to do. I started exploring the map, and I guess I wasted maybe 2-3h on pretty pointless running around.

I agree too. Compared to other recent game releases, Zelda works. You can't say that for many AAA games prior to their 2nd, 3rd, or 10th patch. lol I read that Nintendo delayed the game release for about a year just to polish & refine it. Time-wise, I'm probably about as far into it as you Woomack. It's a different mindset with creating weapons compared to BotW.

I'll get TotK once used copies start to show up at Game Stop.
Yeah, I actually bought it on release day. lol

I got TotK for father's day...I guess being lost in the beginning is par for the course....I find parts to build but I can't build them...rafts to cross water for instance. I have no idea which way to go. Do the caves lead to somewhere?

It is nice to know about cooking and the weapons upgrades make the breakage OK. I feel overpowered so far.

EDIT: Went in completely the wrong direction...Found out you can jump down from pretty high heights to get back where I started...sheesh...

Last edited:
Yeah, it took me several splats before figuring out how to control a fall/sky dive. I saw you want to land in water from the high falls, but "missed it by this much" on several tries. lol

I've been busy with yard projects and haven't played in a couple weeks. Hopefully I will have some time free up mid-July and get back to it.

I'm most of the way complete with it (have all of the main memories, 3/5 sages, etc). Still having fun playing the game. Definitely taking advantage of item dupe glitches though.

I guess that BotW was easier at the beginning. I had some problems to figure out what to do when I started TotK. I was running around for about 30 mins having no idea where to start.
I will back to Zelda when I get bored with Diablo 4.

TotK is less of a grind than BotW...The 25 Amibo cards I got as a gift late into BotW, provide with me enough resources to be sold for money daily making that less of a grind and arrows are now very plentiful...Arrows in BotW were a pain to farm (Until finding the Gerudo pot glitch).

It makes it so I can save my resources for Armor upgrades...as they always require the rarest of stuff.

All in all it is more fun and less of a grind. I did my first Phenomena last night. Plus it is a lot easier to get to the castle for better weapons as well. The biggest pain like before are the Korak seeds needed for inventory. It would be a lot more fun to grind if they stayed with 2 per slot, instead of many as you progress...A game should be fun not a grind...It is why I like PC so much. I would hack the grindy stuff like money at the start of the game.

I went with early stamina wheel to make the game more playable....Still an enormous part of the world to open up...It is hard to put it down...a lot of "Oh crap its 3AM again" moments...😅

I've used the item dupe glitch for a bunch of items to avoid needing to grind. Currently still on 1.1.0, but I've seen some that work on 1.1.2 as well.

Fwiw, botw korok seeds also increased for each slot.

Back