• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Favorite Addons for Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just wanted to give this thread a little bump.

Is there an addon that will allow you to embed "widgets" into the different desktops on Ubuntu 10.04. What I am looking to be able to do is use one virtual desktop for all these widgets or have a different one on each desktop. I have Compiz installed which I think is responsible for handeling some widgets. Though it makes the widgets on al teh desktops. Any suggestions?

As always I am keeping an eye on this thread. So if you have a suggestion for an addon not only for Ubuntu but any other distro as well please post it. If you can include info about it too that is greatly appreciated.

I forgot my most favorite addon/tweak ever - "Bash History Search":
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash#History_search

This makes it MUCH easier to use the command line for useful, common, or obscure commands you've used in the past. For example, this is the command to set my laptop to more conservative power use by scaling down my CPU speed unless I need it:
sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand

With "Bash History Search", I do not need to remember that whole command. Instead, I just type enough of the command, then press the up arrow key and this progresses me through the history of commands I've issued starting with what I've already typed then I just press enter to submit the command:

"sudo cpuf" + "up arrow key" = "sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand" + "up arrow key again" = "sudo cpufreq-set -g performance"

I always use this to run my system updates from the command line, by typing the following:

"sudo pow" + "up arrow key 1 or 2 times" = "sudo powerpill -Syu" (download latest updates and apply them)

Very useful!

I forgot my most favorite addon/tweak ever - "Bash History Search":
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bash#History_search

This makes it MUCH easier to use the command line for useful, common, or obscure commands you've used in the past. For example, this is the command to set my laptop to more conservative power use by scaling down my CPU speed unless I need it:
sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand

With "Bash History Search", I do not need to remember that whole command. Instead, I just type enough of the command, then press the up arrow key and this progresses me through the history of commands I've issued starting with what I've already typed then I just press enter to submit the command:

"sudo cpuf" + "up arrow key" = "sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand" + "up arrow key again" = "sudo cpufreq-set -g performance"

I always use this to run my system updates from the command line, by typing the following:

"sudo pow" + "up arrow key 1 or 2 times" = "sudo powerpill -Syu" (download latest updates and apply them)

Very useful!

To bad I am one of those UI users. lol I need this program for day to day life. I can't count the times that I can remember part of something but not the whole. I added BASH under the Productivity Addons category.

I'm not sure how to include that, maybe just link to my post and call it "Bash History Search"? Dunno.

Bash is the shell aka the command line itself. Thats sort of too generic or basic to include, and its not anything special - every linux distro includes a shell of some sort. The history search part is the nice enhancement that is special however.

Glad you are still keeping up with this thread, its turned out pretty cool.

I'm not sure how to include that, maybe just link to my post and call it "Bash History Search"? Dunno.

Bash is the shell aka the command line itself. Thats sort of too generic or basic to include, and its not anything special - every linux distro includes a shell of some sort. The history search part is the nice enhancement that is special however.

Glad you are still keeping up with this thread, its turned out pretty cool.

And thus a new category was born. I have made the Tips and Tricks category. I have noticed that there are a few people that are using native Linux addons to enhance thier experince. now we have a place to put all of those little tricks. :D

Just wanted to give this thread a little bump.

Is there an addon that will allow you to embed "widgets" into the different desktops on Ubuntu 10.04. What I am looking to be able to do is use one virtual desktop for all these widgets or have a different one on each desktop. I have Compiz installed which I think is responsible for handeling some widgets. Though it makes the widgets on al teh desktops. Any suggestions?

Look into Screenlets, I used to use it for a long time... though anymore I dont care if I have widgets going or not... neat program though

Look into Screenlets, I used to use it for a long time... though anymore I dont care if I have widgets going or not... neat program though

that sounds awful familiar. that might have been the program that i was talking about. I think it installs with Ubuntu Tweak. I will have to look when I get home. I need to get back to tinkering with Ubuntu anyway.

On a more productive note. I am going back and adding a Suggested by part to the addons. I want those who have hepled to be recognized. Seeing as I did not find all of these addons on my own. My little way of saying thanks!

Just a little bump for this thread for those that have not seen it or those that forgot about it. I might have sometime over the Labor Day weekend to add/change the post. As always feel free to add any suggestions!

Just used this yesterday to remember the tip/trick about terminal history.

We'll sticky this, as soon as I'm ready to tackle the sticky situation overall in this forum. Too many right now, and a lot of them are dated or need pruned.

Just used this yesterday to remember the tip/trick about terminal history.

We'll sticky this, as soon as I'm ready to tackle the sticky situation overall in this forum. Too many right now, and a lot of them are dated or need pruned.

Yea I noticed the amount of stickies. lol Thanks for putting this up for sticky I.M.O.G. I feel the OC love!

On the note of addons. I recently went through a stage of reinstalling windows on all f my computers. They needed it to make Windows work right. Of course when it came to XP MCE 2005 and drivers and networking... I uninstalled and put xubuntu on the machine. I have since reconverted to XP MCE because I can not work out the Linux to Windows file sharing deal. My laptop runs Ubuntu full time and I can see the windows network I just can not mount the drive. I was wondering if there are any addons that make sharing eaiser between Linux and Windows?

I am sure that I mentioned this issue in an earlier post and it actully spun off a thread all its own. :eek:

Linux Desktop Screenshots Thread

I stumbled across this thread. On the thought that a picture is worth a thousand words here is the link: Linux Desktop Screenshot Thread. I feel like this thread compliments this one. If you see an addon that you like on someone's desktop please comment and I am sure that someone will know what it is.

Compiz-fusion

Isn't Compiz Fusion usually included with most installs? I just want to check before I add it to the list officially.

As a side not my first article was published! You can view it from the link in my signature. I plan on doing another one once I get some time and another add-on to review.

Isn't Compiz Fusion usually included with most installs? I just want to check before I add it to the list officially.

As a side not my first article was published! You can view it from the link in my signature. I plan on doing another one once I get some time and another add-on to review.

not in all distros. it tends to come installed by default in some of the more 'bloated' distros (no offense to those who use a distro with it installed by default) :D

Compiz-fusion is included with heavier distro's, but not included with a lot of lighter distro's or ones that offer a smaller default install. It is a discrete package, separate from the desktop environment - so while you are guaranteed with any graphical distribution to get at least one of gnome/kde/xfce/lxde/etc... compiz-fusion is an addon and may or may not be included at the discretion of the distribution.

Thanks for the tip! Lead me to this fairly comical quote from their mainpage:

if you heard of Beryl or Compiz Fusion, it’s us as well ! Check the wiki page for more details on the (somewhat troubled) project history.

I would have left out the "somewhat troubled" detail and let people judge it for themselves. :)

I just wanted to point out, not that it wasn't noticed im sure. THERE ARE TWO PAGES!!! :rock: Sorry I get a little excited about these things.

So yea heading up to add Compiz/Compiz-Fusion/Beryl/that thing to the addon list. Gonna just call it Compiz as that seems to be where the debate is headed to. :rolleyes:

Edit: Just realized that it depends on how many posts you have set to show as to rather there are two pages or not. >.>
Added Compiz to the list under the Look and Feel section.

Last edited:
Calling Compiz an "add-on" is kind of insulting :) The window manager is a core part of any desktop GUI :)

/me votes for thread title :s/Addons for Linux/Linux Programs

Back