• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What new toys did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT

screw the router. im returning it. nobody was able to help me out so im sending it back in for a WRT610n router.

sorry to sound mean overclockers, but i get this way when i get stressed out about working on expensive things that arent working right for me.

Last edited:
I got a fun thing! It's a one meter strip of 60 individually controllable RGB LEDs:

RGBStrip.jpg

Bright little suckers, the strip eats 1.2 amps of 5v at full burn. In the above photo they're running at <16% brightness.

Wow, those are a lot cheaper than the ones I use! So it's 60 individual RGB leds? I'm paying $35 for 1m of 32 leds... :(

60 individual LEDs, each with a built in controller for 8bits of PWM per color, all wired in series for data.
The protocol is a bit brutal, but people have gotten it working with Arduino and MSP430.

Amazingly cheap.

so in essence you could take 60 rows of them and have a 60x60 rgb display? ;D with enough work of course

so in essence you could take 60 rows of them and have a 60x60 rgb display? ;D with enough work of course

Hahaha, this is what I thought immediately when upon looking at the specs for these--

Its not terribly expensive-- I was thinking of going more 40~ rows and having it oriented more like a screen, could totally have fun with these lil guys :attn:

Yup!
At ~7w per 60LED strip, you'd be looking at a lot of watts for 60 strips though.
The dude also has 30LED/Meter strips for $14ish shipped, much lower power/CPU requirements.

i guess with even like 5-10 strips you could atleast doe a scrolling text marque :D

Three'd do it for vertical scrolling, 3x5 pixels is enough for recognizable characters. More is better in any case.

Well, this could save me a lot of money. Do you know what controller they use bob? I cold look up the datasheet and get something going ahead of time!

WS2811 is the controller, one controller per LED. What MCU are you using?

Here're a couple videos, starting with a video of the same program I took a pic of before:

A second video, this code is somewhat more complicated but also a lot more polished:

Untitled.jpg
This is my latest gift to myself, it is intended for my next build project but I just had to try it out on my old rig, its fast, next on my wish list is the Asus Maximus V Extreme, can't make up my mind about the RAM for it... any suggestions

Finally got to taking those pictures, haha. What a funny story :facepalm:

First off, the motherboard: AM2, not compatible with AMD's new processors
Image11192012174327.jpg

Next, this is what I found beneath the HSF that was attached to this. The clown who gave me a "Bricked cpu and board" jammed a brand new FX-8350 into an AM2 socket, screwed his HSF down, and didn't even notice that the CPU was literally hanging half-way out of the socket. It is a wonder this proc didn't lose a pin-- I had to do brain surgery on one of them, but total recovery!
Image11192012174414.jpg

Here she is, all cleaned up and ready to fill the shoes of my old C2 Phenom II :( You served me well, old friend!
Image11192012174516.jpg

Finally, CPU-Z-- I'm running at 4 cores at the moment because my msconfig setting got itself set on 4 for some reason, will be fixing that immediately upon making this post. I stressed it for literally two days at 4.65GHz just to make sure the pin damage or the completely blown out board wasn't going to affect this thing, and the news is good!
Untitled.jpg

Free 8350 for me, bwahaha (I hope the guy learns his lesson one day, he wouldn't listen to me!) :attn:

I've seen everything now.

I get things like this often at shop actually :(

I posted the original story quite a while ago, but basically a "Guru" came in looking for an i7 920 and board (Which I had) because AMD "Sucks beyond anything". He claimed his board and cpu were bricked, and he fully tested them-- He refused and insulted me for offering to test both for him for free, bought his new board, and then left.

The board was indeed completely hosed-- Its sitting in my trash can now. The processor is <3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back