• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talking mining rigs, out puts, setup and others.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've got a computer that I'd like to change into a mining rig, all I need is a video card or two. What is the best bang for the buck card available? Anything under $200 worth getting?

I've got a computer that I'd like to change into a mining rig, all I need is a video card or two. What is the best bang for the buck card available? Anything under $200 worth getting?

This is a good website for finding gpu/mining cards.
http://gpus-in-stock.com/

I just ordered a 7850 2GB for $120AR and a 7870 for $160AR. Both are limit 1 rebates.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131547 (360Kh/s for $120)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7542561&CatId=7387 (have one of this model already, 400Kh/s for $160, worst case I'll slap a crossfire bridge on them and play games with all the eye candy turned up)

Last edited:

You can try an R9 270, regular one, not X.
I've seen reports of people hitting 500kh/s with it, this model in particular: GIGABYTE R9 270 GV-R927OC-2GD

Oooohhhh.

Cool! Gotta get me some of them. :)

Yeah, they are awesome :D

I am going to raise a question, i know i have asked before, but always felt unsure about, and never done since i didnt feel a need for it.

BUT! now i think its time.

Could someone, wite up a Guide, on how to setup config file when running different cards?

One what could maybe become a sticky?

Or at least give me the long, but very easy to understand version on how to do this?

I will be running 4x 6970 and 2x 7950 soon. Im happy with output on 6970's but i fear the 7950's will need more adjustment.

On top of that.. anyone know any motherboards APART from AsRock H61PRo BTC, that can handle 6x GPU's?

Im at a point where i need to get a second full size rig up and running.

Run two different config files and two different cgminer instances (make a separate folder) is what I would recommend. Set device : # in the config files to tell it which device is which.

extra simple really, just comma separate the values for each card

say intensity "18, 18, 19, 20"
thread conc "8000, 9000, 15232, 24000"

etc

I can add a section in the stick on this I guess, but I wanted to keep the main post easy to read for newcomers more than anything

extra simple really, just comma separate the values for each card

say intensity "18, 18, 19, 20"
thread conc "8000, 9000, 15232, 24000"

etc

I can add a section in the stick on this I guess, but I wanted to keep the main post easy to read for newcomers more than anything

That's true too to just use the commas. You could combine the two configurations once you were done playing with the other instance so you don't have to close and reopen your working cgminer instance to change config settings that are not in the GUI.

I get what you are saying ZL1, maybe its the way to go, but since 4 cards will be the same, and 2 others will 7950's it cant be that bad.

Oh and i found an Asrock H61Pro BTC on amazon, so had to order it right away!

Nice, how much was it?

Oh and here's an update on where my 'farm' is:

2.3MHS.JPG

Keeping the 7950 at 16 Intensity for now, 950/1400.

Nice, how much was it?

Oh and here's an update on where my 'farm' is:

Keeping the 7950 at 16 Intensity for now, 950/1400.

Please tell me those are 2x 290x?

I have 2,7mh/s from 6 gpu's (Rock solid non stop 24/7) for over a week now, but daaamn 3 cards almost get there.

Which 7950 have you got? I would have thought the 7950 could go higher than that. All my 6970's sit around 480/485

Last edited:
Yep 2x290X :)

The 7950 is a Powercolor boost edition. I was able to run it fine mining LTC at Intensity 19-20 at or near 600khs, but for whatever reason when I pushed to 18 split with the 290Xs mininig middlecoin the PC rebooted itself. I don't think it is a power issue, so not sure right now. I could probably push the GPU and memory a bit further (have them close to stock right now for stability and heat) and will push higher as I get some time and am sure it is stable.

I may end up trying to sell the 7950 and some reviewed peripherals to get a 3rd 290X at some point.

Yep 2x290X :)

The 7950 is a Powercolor boost edition. I was able to run it fine mining LTC at Intensity 19-20 at or near 600khs, but for whatever reason when I pushed to 18 split with the 290Xs mininig middlecoin the PC rebooted itself. I don't think it is a power issue, so not sure right now. I could probably push the GPU and memory a bit further (have them close to stock right now for stability and heat) and will push higher as I get some time and am sure it is stable.

I may end up trying to sell the 7950 and some reviewed peripherals to get a 3rd 290X at some point.

That would be killer, I am picking up 2x Sapphire 7950, from what i know, they are reference cards, so i need to start thinking about better cooling already, as stock cooling is just too loud. (EDIT: He sent me some info, i was able to look it up on the site he got it from ,looks like the single fan aftermarket cooler, can only be better then reference? )

I want to run them at 550mh/s minimum.

Back