• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Talking mining rigs, out puts, setup and others.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How do you guys cool side-by-side graphics cards?

I've tried different orientation/ordering of my 2x290X and 1x7950 and can't get one of them to not overheat. I had them in ports 1_34 so 1 could breathe and only the 3 and 4 were competing for air with a 120mm fan blowing in by the front of the cards (on my benching station) but they were still hitting 95C with the fans at full blast. I could try changing the TIM but that seems like it wouldn't make that significant of a difference compared to the overall issue.

So right now I just have 1_3_ with the 2x290X cards.

more fans or risers...
I have run 7950s at 95 for months at a time. One is at rma for fan :shrug:

I can only cool adjacent gpus with 1 220cfm 120x38mm fan per pair, making a wind tunnel effect a la server chassis, or using risers and a box fan.

Temps are 65-75c depending on ambient. Talkin stacked 280X cards. Always undervolt! I've seen R9 290 cards pulling as low as 170w from the psu, and mining at 820kh/s or 200w at 850kh/s. Makes a HUGE difference, AMD parts are heavily over volted at stock.

I was all about the risers when I was mining. Cards really don't need extra help staying cool, they just need access to cool air. The extra space you can get from risers helps plenty.

Well I been busy, and lets see how that works out.

Took awhile as i thought i was outta hdd's, but i found an old laptop with one. So i got my 3rd mining rig setup now.

3 Rigs, but 2 of them run single cards, better than nothing.

How do you guys cool side-by-side graphics cards?

I've tried different orientation/ordering of my 2x290X and 1x7950 and can't get one of them to not overheat. I had them in ports 1_34 so 1 could breathe and only the 3 and 4 were competing for air with a 120mm fan blowing in by the front of the cards (on my benching station) but they were still hitting 95C with the fans at full blast. I could try changing the TIM but that seems like it wouldn't make that significant of a difference compared to the overall issue.

So right now I just have 1_3_ with the 2x290X cards.

3 cards only with risers, the extra space between them helps more than anything
2 cards are fine with just some extra fan (120-140) blowing on them
undervolting helps a lot too, pick your flavor soft, start dropping vcore and see how much it can pull before it starts crashing
personally, i dont fully agree with the flash solution when it comes to 280x/290, a bit risky as it does void warranty ;) a $400 brick is not something id be happy with
now older cards, such as the 58s, those i dont mind flashing + with those flashing is about the only choice, since soft like afterburner wont even unlock voltage control on them

Ok guys, so im having an issue getting my new rig to mine.

When i run CGminer, it disables the the thread, and nothing mines.

The motherboard is an older Intel board, LGA 775. Its got PCI-e 1.1, and i wonder if this is the issue?

what exactly does it say ?
btw opencl active right ? checked gpuz ?

what exactly does it say ?
btw opencl active right ? checked gpuz ?

GPU-z is fine, i can even overclock with MSI afterburn.

I just threw in my 5770, and its the same story.

Even with a no settings highly basic setup, its the same story.

cgminer.png

- This means you aren't mining which is bad. It is the result of your computer not having enough system ram. pretty weird huh? Basically get more system ram, or lower the thread concurrency setting. (Linux systems do not have this issue, and this fix only works on some systems)

:thup:

what board is it ? 2 dimms or 4 ? if its 4 and u were trying to dual channel run em, dont, run em single, its easier on the ram and will "oc" better :)

Back