• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help OCing 6600K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

Does anyone have a guide to overclocking Skylake chips? I've found a few online but let's just say even a noob like me, well....

Is there a max safe temperature for the i5 6600K? What about max voltage that I must not cross?

I'm hoping to get my parts tomorrow and start testing. I plan to find the max stable OC then maybe just go halfway OC for daily use and see how it works in my games. I'm particularly interested in testing it on Falcon 4 BMS and see how stock/mid/max OC affects framerates on that sim.

Last edited:
Use 1.35V for vCore as the max for 24/7 usage to keep it safe.
Max temps are the same as the last 4 generations, but I like to keep it to 90°C or less personally.

:D Thanks for the numbers guys!

Use 1.35V for vCore as the max for 24/7 usage to keep it safe.
Max temps are the same as the last 4 generations, but I like to keep it to 90°C or less personally.
What is max temp exactly? I'm not sure I know what it was for the last few iterations. ;)

Please post screenshots and numbers.:)
Will do! Parts arrived today but can't start yet because of other things to sort out. :( Hopefully tomorrow, will get the case cleaned out and can start install on Sunday.

1.350 is pretty conservative if you ask me. ASUS mentioned 1.425...

considering I have seen these chips at 1.3v stock and typically 1.25 is stock, .1v is nothing, smaller process or not. :)

The cpu will thrttle at 100c. Shutdown at 110c iirc. We say 90c for a bit of beadroom, and some (me) have run into to stability issues above 90 pushing high clocks and voltage (5ghz 1.5v)

Hmm... I need to update my knowledge regarding benchmarking programs. I assume it's still CPU-Z or CPUID and GPU-Z for CPU/GPU monitoring? RealTemps for temps? MSI Afterburner for GPU monitoring? Do I need anything else?

I typically use HWMonitor to watch temperatures and voltages, MSI Afterburner to overclock GPU's, and the BIOS for CPU/RAM overclocking.

Hmmm... most guides I read are using either Prime95, x264, or Aida 64. Thoughts? I've only used Intel Burn Test before --- is this no good now?

I started by going to 4.4GHz and 1.350V and temps were 16-18 degrees at min and 49-55 degrees at max. However, after 10 minutes, the fourth core (worker #4) had a "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" and shut off. The rest of the cores kept on truckin'. This is running a Small FFTs test with 4 torture test threads running. I stopped the test after 30 minutes running with max temp at 55 for one core, 53 for two, and the other one only got up to 49.

So, is IBT no good nowadays? Or do people run both IBT and Prime95? As I've never used P95 before, what settings do you guys use for it? Does P95 actually end or do you just stop it after a certain period?

I ran 10 passes of Standard stress level on IBT and the temps were 47-55 even though all 4 cores were working throughout. Is that 8 degree difference between core 3 and core 1 something to worry about? Have I made a mistake in applying my heatsink?

I upped the ratio to 45 and at 1.35V, it would only do about 2-3 minutes of Prime 95 (v28.7) before the fourth core would fail as above. I would get BSOD with IBT. Raising the vcore to 1.425V and keeping the ratio of 45 allowed me to run my tests again... below 1.425V and I would get BSOD even on P95. However, at these settings (1.425V, 45 ratio), Prime 95 would still fail after 2-3 minutes with the fourth core failing as above. This happens for both the 27.9 and 28.7 versions of Prime 95. I did run IBT at Maximum for 10 runs successfully though, with 63|67|68|62|67(package) max temps. While I'm happy that IBT passes, I'm not really sure what to make of my Prime 95 fails.

I did look at Aida64 but I'm not sure I want to pay for the full program and I'm not sure if people are just using the demo version and if that's enough.

I did find an overclocking guide HERE and I'm using their x264 test at 10 loops, 16 threads, normal priority and see how that fares.

Back