• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

created ultimate htpc/gaming pc for my brand new 70 inch 4k tv.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goto35

Registered
So the budget blew up. took longer than i thought but its done last night.

Results are absolutely amazing!!

Here are the specs:
i7-6700k
evo 212
Asus z170-a motherboard
ddr 4 16gb ram vengence
DUAL- Sapphire 290x running in crossfire.
nzxt 410 chasis
Samsung 950 m.2
240gb ssd
3TB hard drive
CX750 (will get upgraded later to AX1200)
logitech kr830 keytboard

Now for the Bad:
Original parts were the same except the motherboard was MSI m7 and power supply was AX1200i.

When i originally put everything together and turned on the PC for the first time, the power supply literally blew up. Big spark then it went dead. $350 power supply and it died. was blown away. had a brand new cx750 so connected that then the motherboard gave a code of 00 and did not display any video. tried everything. so decided to go back to Asus. They truly make quality parts and im dont with the MSI motherboard. So this deplayed me a week with buying a new motherboard.

But all is up and running and wow i am blown away. to play any game in 4k just make this an amazing experience! GTA5 in 4k makes you feel like real life. so fluid so fun! watching movies or browsing the web in 4k is so nice. IMG_8044.JPG IMG_8042.JPG IMG_8046.JPG IMG_8053.JPG IMG_8054.JPG IMG_8058.JPG IMG_7865 (2).JPG

no issues with cooling. stays nice and cool and with max gaming. have almost 7 fans running. since in a closet i cant hear anything either. went with 290x since i have 1 and jus t have to buy another one.

love it.

Question:

I'm in the process of doing the same type of build. You say you're running 4k with 2x 290x in x-fire. Do you have the 4Gb versions? What FPS are you seeing? My understanding was that 4Gb wouldn't be very smooth @ 4k.

buttery smooth no problems at all. so it actually shows 16 gigs of video ram. Dual 4 gigs plus 8 gigs shared with ram. no issues what so ever.

What shows 16GB? System ram is a lot slower than vRAM, hence when you run out of vRAM and page out to the system ram, you can run into hitching. Not to mention vRAM doesn't 'add up' in CFx/SLI... what shows that?

Anyhoo, sweet setup!!! Thanks!

Looks great! How loud those it go during heavy load and in how loud in normal use eg watching videos?

Back