• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Constant graphics driver crashes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PitfireX

Registered
3 months ago I had this issue and I posted this post here

Quick summary; both screens going black 10 seconds or so after launching a game or benchmark software. I replaced my old GPU with a new one and didnt have the issue anymore. (although it should be noted that the old GPU works fine in a different computer)

Today I began having the same issue again. after about an hour of gaming, screens go black again. Could this be a non hardware issue and a software conflict?

What have you tried this time?
Clean install of drivers?
What temps are you hitting?
What driver version(s) have been tried?

I haven't clean installed drivers. I've updated like 8 times since putting the 970 in and just updated again today after the first black screen.

I havent been watching temp, but I dont think I should be overheating ill watch it now.

After recording the temps in game do a clean install of the nearest driver version.

I haven't clean installed drivers. I've updated like 8 times since putting the 970 in...

This is likely the problem. +1 to ATM, definitely do a clean install. Make sure you MANUALLY uninstall everything related to NVidia in Add/Remove programs in control panel, starting with Geforce Experience (if installed), PhysX-3D vision controller-3D Vision driver-HD Audio and then finally the Graphics driver.

Then, get DDU, and run that in safe mode. Then install the new driver, making sure to click Clean install during installation.

When I woke up I couldnt get the screen to come on. im inferring that it crashed again, outside of a game this time. Why don't drivers have crash logs?

Also, are you sure that it's the graphics card not bringing the monitor up, and not the monitor just refusing to wake up? I have that happen with mine quite often, the only way to bring it back is to unplug and plug it back into the wall.

+1 when your screen wont come on try unplugging the connector and reconnecting to see if it is your monitor.

Im assuming if it was my monitor, i would hear the device disconnected sound and not the "Windows Exclamation" sound that I am hearing. Also its happening to both monitors at the same time... Just happened today with nothing but chrome running.

I agree it is not your monitors. Have you tried to do a clean install with downloading Nvidia driver then do a manual install and check mark clean install?

I just formatted hard drives and completely reinstalled windows... same problem.

So I read somewhere that a guy fixed this issue by taking his second monitor from Display Port to HDMI. I unplugged my second monitor which is an ASUS VE278Q (hooked up via display port)
and I havent had the issue for an hour or so. Presuming I found the problem, what could cause this?

Last edited:
Okay here's what im noticing. Luckily the issue normally happens after only a few minutes of in game so I can run tests quick.

so far with a display port monitor connect to ANY of my 3 display ports = Issue
With the second monitor connected via HDMI = Issue
With HDMI connected to GPU but NOT connected to a monitor on the other end (connected to nothing on one end) = Issue
ONLY Primary monitor connected via Dual Link DVI = NO ISSUE

Back