• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8TB WDBFJK0080HBK-NESN vs. WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
What is the difference between
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235160
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235061

Both are listed warrantied for 2 years on Amazon.
But newegg lists WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN Black under the Warranty tab as 3 years even though the main newegg description says 2 years...

What's the warranty status on both and what are the other differences?

...HGST Heliums which I 100% agree with you are awesome. They are in the 8TB WD enclosures now for $229.

My benchmark scores are just a bit higher than what I see people post for the old WD enclosures, and now that I know the old enclosures *do not* contain REDs, I fail to see a reason for buying the $272 old 8TB enclosure, I would go for the $229 new enclosures.

I wonder if WD marketing has figured out that people know that old enclosures USED TO have REDs in them so that's why they keep the old enclosures at $272, because people wrongly think they will get REDs, but they won't, that stock is long cleared. So we are better off getting the new 8TB enclosures:
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN

Last edited:
I wonder which drives are inside....

I meant which drive models not which drive sizes.

Last edited:
Hi @c627627!

The main difference between the two is the design.

Other than that the newer version comes with WD Security and WD Utilities software in the package, while the older one does not. However, both of them are available for download from the official website. It's worth mentioning that both models have a hardware encryption though.

As for the warranty, IMO it will be best if you contact the retailers support and ask it directly.

Cheers! :)

The newer one has the word "Black" at the end of its title:
WD My Book 8TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN Black

Does that mean it contains a WD Black Performance Hard Drive inside or can Reds etc. be in there too without a way to really know?

The newer one has the word "Black" at the end of its title:
WD My Book 8TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN Black

Does that mean it contains a WD Black Performance Hard Drive inside or can Reds etc. be in there too without a way to really know?

Black stands for the color of the enclosure and for the drive inside. :)

Basically the type of HDD inside the case may vary depending on the specific model, so it's hard to say what HDD model will be (5400RPM or 7200RPM, SATA or USB native). You can take a look at this KB article for more information if you want:
http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=DeRSbj

My experience from opening my books is they are the cheapest lowest power option WD sells regardless if it is a premium or basic box. My guess is it is a 5400RPM blue drive that was dug up from behind the trash can where those belong

Specifically 8TB drives come only in three options, right?
• Red NAS
• Purple Surveillance
• Gold Datacenter

So for the 8TB specifically, the WD Red NAS version is probably a better guess for the old 8TB external models since the Gold version only just came out a few months ago.
All Golds are 7200 RPM and come with high expected reliability. The 5400 Reds may continue to be in the new versions of 8TB internals?

If you're going to be this picky why not buy whatever 8TB HDD you want and an enclosure for it to go in?

... Because of course, Red NAS costs $350 or $400 separate but "only" $225 to $250 inside the enclosure.

And its okay to wonder out loud in the Storage section of the forums if the Reds are still inside the new 8TB enclosures... As they were inside all the old 8TB enclosures.

There's something very very wrong with paying close to four hundred after tax for "just" 8TB and it is almost 2017... and it's mechanical 8TB no less... :(

By 2017 they should have either "given us" drives with larger storage capacities or "given us" 8TB SSDs...

... and I say that as if we have the right to complain about the wonders of technology we enjoy... ☺

Last edited:
Someone just opened the new WDBBGB0080HBK-NESN and found an 8TB BLUE in there.
I don't know what to do, I am thinking of returning it, all that money for a budget WD BLUE !?! ... might as well go with Seagate... does anyone know what the difference is between 8TB Seagate STEL80000100 and Seagate STEB8000100 ?

LutaWicasa, I am in a bind.
I paid a premium because I thought 8TB is a lot of data to risk losing.
Someone JUST opened up the new 8TB WD and found a Blue in there. I didn't even know Blues existed in 8TB size.
Budget WD Blue is not that much better than Seagate and Seagate is soooo much cheaper.

So STEL80000100 is better than STEB8000100 ?
What about the drives inside 8TB Seagate enclosures?
They can't be that much worse than WD Blues, can they?

I don't know whether to go for +/- $150 Seagate 8TB or $250 old version of WD where at least a RED might be hiding in there.
The $225 I paid for the WD BLUE which hasn't arrived yet certainly does NOT seem worth it. At all.

I have no idea if one is better than the other...STEB is just the drive in an enclosure....STEL is the same but the enclosure includes a 2 port hub.
If the hub isn't needed/wanted, then go fer the cheaper.
I am the wrong person to ask about WD vs Seagate...I have used both brands with about the same results :shrug:

Wow I just found this out, look at this, a member of Western Digital staff posts that the 8TB WD drive in question, the WD80EZZX which is referred to as Green/Blue drive is actually "better than" Black... (Wut?!?)

WD80EZZX.png
https://community.wd.com/t/new-8tb-mycloud-which-hdd-is-inside-wd80ezzx/154922/3

Further adding to my sense of relief is this reddit page:
"These are clearly Ultrastar He8 (Bulk Data Encryption (BDE) model) Motor lowered to 5400 rpm TLER Set to off (Can Turn on) Firmware is fully HGST and is just WD in name..."
That reddit post was not made by WD but a private individual but if he is right, HGST 8TB drives are four hundred dollars, more expensive than WD Reds... so what does that mean?

I don't know what's going on with these names.
The word Green to me means half a dozen of WD green hard drives failing in succession and me having to send them back to newegg six times... nightmare budget low end.
Blue also being budget.
So now we are using Green to mean a four hundred dollar drive with just the motor speed lowered!?!

I guess I can feel good about that if that's the case.

Question to anyone who knows: if WD80EZZX is HGST HelioSeal "special drive higher than a WD Black regarding performance but not rotation speed" then what makes them different from REDs, which now use code WD80EFRZ...

In other words, what is the difference between WD80EFRZ and WD80EZZX?

Last edited:
...report back. :)

"That hard drive model is not officially sold as a retail unit. As such, there are no official documents available to be used in order to compare both units."

Back