• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Frequency Effecting Cpu Fan Idle Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eatmc7

Registered
I just discovered that if a choose 2733 Mhz or lower ram speed my cpu fan spins at around 1700rpm while on desktop doing nothing while the cpu is 35ish degrees. And if i set a frequency for rams above 2733Mhz the cpu fan is at around 2150 ish rpm in the same scenario. Hwinfo shows that everything is under 40c in both scenarios.

So what kind of a correlation is there between these two? Its really annoying when you try to read some articles and doing nothing else and the cpu fan is noticeably louder and fluctuates +-100rpm here and there which is an easiy hearable noise difference. Just because of this i took my rams back at 2733Mhz at the moment and i started to ldo some research for gigabyte aorus B450i Pro if this a because of some fault caused by motherboard..

Are you using a custom fan curve? Is a higher voltage being applied to run the RAM above 2733MHz vs at 2733MHz? It's strange that you would see such a noticeable fan speed difference with that change.

I recently built in a small case (see sig) and I had to set a custom fan profile in order to avoid all of the fan racing I was seeing with the processor running at stock settings. I have since moved to fixed voltage/frequency for undervolting to improve thermals but I have kept my custom fan profile. I run at 55% speed up to 55C and then use a linear increase to 100% at 80C. Temperatures are good, much quieter and no more fan racing when I open a browser or move my mouse.

Are you using a custom fan curve? Is a higher voltage being applied to run the RAM above 2733MHz vs at 2733MHz? It's strange that you would see such a noticeable fan speed difference with that change.

I recently built in a small case (see sig) and I had to set a custom fan profile in order to avoid all of the fan racing I was seeing with the processor running at stock settings. I have since moved to fixed voltage/frequency for undervolting to improve thermals but I have kept my custom fan profile. I run at 55% speed up to 55C and then use a linear increase to 100% at 80C. Temperatures are good, much quieter and no more fan racing when I open a browser or move my mouse.

I took the bios back to default settings to be sure and only tweaked the ram speeds. As i said 2133-2400-2666-2733Mhz ram speed reults in the normal idle fan speed and above causes it to idle at 500ish more rpm. I dont change anything else apart from that. I dont know what ccauses it, i couldnt find any trace and got tired of getting into bios-restarting gett,ng into bios-restarting so its at 2773 right now...

The I/O chiplet on the CPU on Ryzen runs at memory speed. That's probably the reason.

So bios itself somehow ignores the cpu fan speed settings that are set in bios and behaves according to I/O chiplets speed? Is this an expected behaviour?

I don't know about "expected", but it is a CPU parameter that changes with RAM speed. It seems worth checking out. I don't know if the ability to adjust the infinity fabric clock ratio is unique to Ryzen 2 or if it can also be done in BIOS with earlier Ryzen gens, but if it can be adjusted, and the noise is more relevant to your uses than the performance boost of higher RAM speed, that's what I would look for.

I don't know about "expected", but it is a CPU parameter that changes with RAM speed. It seems worth checking out. I don't know if the ability to adjust the infinity fabric clock ratio is unique to Ryzen 2 or if it can also be done in BIOS with earlier Ryzen gens, but if it can be adjusted, and the noise is more relevant to your uses than the performance boost of higher RAM speed, that's what I would look for.

If you read carefully use scenario is not changing at all in my cases. Everything is same apart from ram and infinity fabric speed and pc is not being used. And still the cpu fan starts idling at higher speeds

That leads me to believe the cause is the RAM speed/infinity fabric change is related to the change in fan speed. That seems to leave three options. Change the infinity fabric ratio, lower the RAM speed, or live with the extra noise.

I'm hoping someone more familiar with your BIOS (or MSI BIOS in general) will chime in with a better alternative.

Increasing ram speed will increase IMC also. If you're on auto on any of the connected voltages, the speed increase will bump the voltage, thus increasing heat. Pending how close your fan curve is to the next level, your fan speed will increase to cover the added heat and voltage.

This was written in layman's terms. Didn't feel like typing all the technical BS.

Increasing ram speed will increase IMC also. If you're on auto on any of the connected voltages, the speed increase will bump the voltage, thus increasing heat. Pending how close your fan curve is to the next level, your fan speed will increase to cover the added heat and voltage.

This was written in layman's terms. Didn't feel like typing all the technical BS.

Is there a hidden tempetarature value thats not seen in hwinfo? As im saying millionth times now the temperatures in hwinfo are exactly the same in both scenarios.

The temps are the same BECAUSE the fan is running faster. Your BIOS is maintaining a temperature "target" by increasing the fan speed.
When you increase the RAM speed a few things happen on Ryzen. First, it increases the Infinity Fabric speed which is directly tied to your RAM speed. You are also using an APU, the graphics processor uses your system RAM so you are also changing parameters here by increasing RAM speed. This is going to cause a slight increase in SOC voltage and CPU voltage. So if your BIOS has a target temperature that it uses for control the fan has to run faster to keep that same temperature since the CPU itself is now running slightly hotter than it was with the slower RAM. This faster fan speed maintains the target temperature which you are seeing HWIfno.
Don't worry this is normal behavior for this type of CPU.

Last edited:
As was said, when increasing ram speed on auto, it will also raise voltages of the IMC. So you can maybe look at lowering SOC voltage a bit and see if that helps. ;)

The next temparature target in bios to ramp up the cpu fan speed is set to 60c degree, i dont think its getting anywhere near that by only changing the RAM speed/infinity fabric speed while its showing all the tempeartures are around 35c degree. Thats why it seems weird to me...

Are you using the latest BIOS on that board?

Yes iam. Im taking all the setting to the default now and only going to leave the RAM at 2993. Even tho its going to make a little more noise i think its making the biggest difference in pc performance. And the reason im taking all the other settings to default is that i cant trust the motherboard anymore that its even showing in hwinfo that the soc voltage getting down to 1,080volts as time goes while im stressing the gpu even tho its set to 1,1750 volts @1500mhz. How is my gpu is perfectly stable @1500Mhz with under 1,1 volts i have no idea. I have the uber good silicon or the sensors or something is not working properly imo. So maybe i will tweak some settings if msi gives me a new bios in the future.

that its even showing in hwinfo that the soc voltage getting down to 1,080volts as time goes while im stressing the gpu even tho its set to 1,1750 volts @1500mhz.
?????

SOC voltage is for the integrated memory controller. The GPU voltage is NOT the SOC voltage.

Sorry im talking about this one; https://prnt.sc/r43tvi Is it not the gfx voltage?
Perhaps the gfx has its own SOC? I don't know. But that isn't the vCore for the GFX... that appears to be the one above it.

(please attach images to the forum... sites like that tend to delete the images if they are not accessed in a while).

Iam almost sure the one above it isnt Vcore for GFX because its not consistent at all and all around the place compared to what people say the safe voltages are for my IGpu(1,1-1,2 volts)

You could try GPUz and look on the sensor page. I can't remember if it displays the voltage there for an iGPU or not but it's easy to check

Back