• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to connect a nidec TA550DC fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ASIILLEN

Hi guys. I have a problem with starting fan TA550DC. When I connect red + 12V and black -gnd nothing happens, the impeller does not spin. I have 2 such fans, both look perfect as new. Maybe someone has a datasheet for this model? Or maybe someone disassembled this fan and can post a photo of the control board?

What are you connecting it to...is it getting enough power to start? You're aware this is a 60W/5A fan, right? They will smoke motherboard headers...........

It would need to be connected directly to the PSU. And you would need to tie down the computer to keep it from flying away.

Just so everyone is aware, there are plenty of ceiling fans that pull less power than this Nidec does

This fan is from the HP ProLiant DL760 G2 Server it has 6-pin connector.
I don't have the original server, so there is a problem how to connect it and is it working at all.
I connect it to a powerful 12V power supply.
Of course, connect such a powerful fan to a standard PC motherboard is dangerous and unwise.

Took apart one of them, here is a photo of the control board.
View attachment 211729

Do you also have a picture of the connector on the other end? Curious if it's the 1x6 or 2x3 connector.

What it should be is that Red is +12V, Black is Ground, Blue is PWM, and Yellow is RPM back to the motherboard. Not sure about the other two yet though.

From what I can tell, you have the following pins...
A = Alarm
T = Tachometer
CT = Thermal Speed Control
P = PWM Speed Control

How Nidec has those wired inside the fan though, I'm not certain of. You might have to connect alarm to ground for it to function.
It's possible these are not 12V though. TA550DC is a series of fan, not the model. What is the model number on the fan? i.e. A34885-90

I believe the blue needs a PWM pulse in order for that fan to spin up. If you apply 12V there too, that may do the trick. Or may need to ground it. You may be able to power it directly from your PSU, but still take a PWM pulse from a motherboard fan header.

I'd think you know but I will say it here for everyone anyways: Connecting the WRONG wires of a fan to a power supply can worst-case burn up the fan and or melt wires and best case but less likely trigger the PSU protection before there is a bunch of smoke. If the PSU does go into protect your fan will still most likely be ruined though. It could also potentially damage the insulation on your power supply wires.

About ten years ago I put a PC /w i5 750 into a PowerMac G5 chassis and re-used all the original high-power delta fans. To power them up, I grounded the grounds, and then put the PWM and 12V wires to the center pole of a two way toggle. One way was 5V other way was 12V. So all the fans were roughly 40% or 100% depending which way you threw the switch. It was ALWAYS at 5V, and worked out perfectly that way. Not loud, plenty of air.

If it was ME, and I didn't pay anything for these fans and was not too worried, I'd use a PSU with >10A on the 12V rail and nothing else connected. Hook the known +12V and Grounds up, power up the power supply, then quickly touch the PWM (Blue) wire to +12V. If the fan rotates, you're good. If not, try something else (so long as it makes sense).

EDIT: here is a YouTube video talking about running these fans without MB pwm control:
I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, but I saw enough to see that this will help you :) My method described above should also work. Worked for me on high-amp delta server grade fans.

Last edited:
Back