• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Vid Mod May Simple! No Wires Involved!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrNatural

P4 Vid Mod Made Simple! No Wires Involved!

Hi all. thought I would toss this up for all those who have been wanting higher default voltages for their P4s but have been reluctant to do the VID Pin Mod or the Pin 7 POT Mod.

This little trick will take care of not having to do both. As you know the VID Pin Mod requires the connection of the VID puns located on the P4. This is done via the use of small thin wires twisted and gently wrapped around the pins. The pins needed to be done can be seen in the illistration below.

pin478r_.gif

This method is again alright but it tends to worry ppl because the area they have to work in is very small and they are afraid of the possibility of breaking the pin.

Well lime I said, this method will do away with that worry all together because you don't even have to touch the CPU pins.

Here's how you go about it.

First you need a few items which are readily availible to everyone.

1 small straight pin
1 small tipped fiber paint bruch (supplied with next item)
1 jar of Rear Window Defogger Kit.

pict0006.JPG

You may also want to have a little alcahol around to clean up with after you are done.

Next get your motherboard which you are going to install the P4 onto. Make sure it has easy access to the socket where the P4 is placed. (See pic below)

pict0005.JPG

Now what you need to do is locate the pin holes in the socket which corresponds to the VID Pins on the P4. (See pin below)

pict0004.JPG

Now with the fine tipped brush get some of the Rear Window Defogger Kit fluid onto the tip. Then simply put a bead of the fluid between the pin holes. Depending on how much you want your default vcore to be will depend on which pin hiles you will bridge with the fluid. After getting a good bead of fluid between the pins you wish to connect then clean your brush and then let the fluid dry for about a minute.

Then take the small staright pin and getly clean up and fluid that may seem like it has spread to far the side and look like it may touch any of the ajoining pin holes. Also gently poke the pin into each hole that you placed fluid into and plugged up the hole.(See pic below)

pict0003.JPG

Once you have done that then you're done. Let the fluid finish drying before placing you cpu in. The pic below will show you what it should look like after you have finished.

pict0002.JPG

I have just finished doing this to my BD7-Raid and with the 7D bios I now have all the vcore I need with no worry of the CBI. I also no longer have the Pin 7 POT Mod on the system. Now when I boot up, my vcore at default reads 1.80v. I can easily move the vdore level up or down with it working properly. The max vcore I can choose using the 7C bios for my BD7 and 7D bios for my TH7II is now 2.2v. This is with Woodies installed in both.

So with a mere 3-4 minutes of work I no longer need to use the soldering iron or make any kind of pin wraps or use the 40B bios for my TH7II or the 6H2 for the BD7. No more CBI on either system.

Ahhhhhhh. Life is good again.

Anyway. Thought this would help some ppl so there it is. If it doesn't wuite give you what you want then it only take a couple of minutes to clean up with a QTip and Alcahol.

That's it for now. Enjoy all.

Oh, BTW. With this mod I'm now able to take my funky ole 2.0ghz Woody and put it at 2.66ghz with out it giving me one beep or non boot. I is happy now.

Last edited:
This is absolutely brilliant Mr N - thank you so much for your brilliant advice and for sharing this tip, absolutely brilliant and greatly appreciated

Thank You

I agree with batboy. A sticky is needed here. Also may want to move a copy to the overclocking Intel Processor board. Very nice work. I would definitely feel more comfortable with this mod, especially being a noob.

[email protected]@1.625v
Stock IHS (lapped) ASIII/Volcano 7+ on its way
Abit SD7-533 mobo
256M PC2700 DDR
Gainward 3TI450

I have an Asus P4T-E with a Noethwood 2.4.

So if I do this mod, what range of Vcore will I have and how can I change it? I afraid to set it too high without going with extreme cooling. I wan to stay with my Sunflower air cooler and maybe get to 3 GHz.

Thanks,
Link2000

Link2000 said:
I have an Asus P4T-E with a Noethwood 2.4.

So if I do this mod, what range of Vcore will I have and how can I change it? I afraid to set it too high without going with extreme cooling. I wan to stay with my Sunflower air cooler and maybe get to 3 GHz.

Thanks,
Link2000

Of you use this mod and you do the exact same pin holes as I show in the pics above you will get 1.85v default. As far as changing the vcore and all, not sure how that is donw on the P4T-E but with 1.85v you will at least be able to hit some much higher clock speeds. Can't say 3ghz tho.

I have gotten 2688 using 112 FSB and 1.65 V. Will I be able to run with the sunflower air cooler at 1.85 V at 125 FSB? Will I be able to lower the vcore once I do this mod?

Thanks,
Link2000

COuld this trick work with something less permanent like arctic silver or even pencil lead? Just to eliminate the sxrew up factor?

Hysteria said:
COuld this trick work with something less permanent like arctic silver or even pencil lead? Just to eliminate the sxrew up factor?

The stuff I use isn't permanent either. It is easily removed with a Q-Tip and some alcahol. You can easily just lightly scrape it off. Nothing permanent about it.

Link, I suspect trying to hit 3 gig with a Sunflower cooler will be tough to do. It sounds like you have a good CPU, but the main consideration is heat. The higher you raise the FSB and the more vcore you use, the hotter the CPU and system will run. If your load CPU temps are getting near 50 degrees right now, then you'll need better cooling before attemping higher clock speeds and more voltage.

Well, I did it! It shows 1.85 in the bios and runs at idle at 38C. Problem is I can't overclock it any more than I did before. I think its because the AGP/PCI ratios don't change until 133MHz.

Any suggestions?
Link2000

I did the flip of what MrNatural did. I used almost the same tools and conductive ink to connect the 4 pins on my northwood. My voltage is 1.85 now without any soldering. I really wish you could find a way to get more voltage with vid pinning since I cant seem to voltmod my motherboard.

I did some tests today and am able to start windows XP at 120fsb and stable at 115fsb but get volt to high or too low beep codes at 133fsb. Do you think it's not enough vcore to run 133fsb?

Anyway, it worked great but if I can't get it to run at 133 I'll probably go back to stock vcore. Because I can get 115fsb using stock vcore.

Any suggestions?

Link2000

Not having luck with mod :(

Hi there,

Hoping someone can help me - I tried the mod twice but doesn't work

I went to Halfords (car shops in England) and bought Heated Rear Windscreen Repair Kit - It is a silver conductive paint based repairer for rear heated windscreen tracks

The product is actually silver (not brown as in the picturers) so wondering if it the same thing

Anyways, followed Mr N's instructions and painted it over the 4 pin holes and used a pin to make sure some went into each of the holes - let it dry for about 20 mins and then plugged CPU in and everything but when booted up it hasn't worked - i've tried several times but still shows up as 1.5 default

Something funny though - maybe someone can verify this for me please

If you go to SoftMenu III of the Abit BIOS and where it says CPU Voltage make it go to User Define
Then where the actual voltage is, highlight and press enter so you get a box with all the available voltages and there is like a white scroll bar on the right hand side of that box
When I scroll up to 1.7 - the scroll bar shows is only half way down the box and when I scroll down to 1.1v it goes to the bottom of the box but when going up to 1.7v the white scroll bar is only 1/2 way up and doesnt reach the top - this never happened before the mod
So the question is, what BIOS should I try because maybe the BIOS isn't seeing the mod or something because before I did the mod that scroll bar when at 1.7v was right at the top of the box but now only half way up but now

THis is the second time I did the mod - -the silver is covering all the 4 holes and is in the holes and on the bits between the 4 pins but still does not work

Please someone help!

Thanks

Keyan

hmmmmm, weird story :eh?:

I myself used a wire, and running Mr Natural's 7D BIOS now, like lots of people who did the Vid Pin Wire Mod. Maybe you should try that BIOS.

Hi Jirnsum

Thanks for your reply

I've tried Mr N's 7D bios, just going to try Abit 38 now and see if that makes any difference because I tried 39c and 40b yesterday of Mr N's but same thing

It is really weird, i'll update the post and say whether using 38 made any difference

Thanks

Keyan

hmmmm, a bit at a loss then..... The stuff you used should be conductive, otherwise how would it repair windshield heaters......

Dumb question: you are absolutely positive you covered the right holes? (probably arem otherwise I can't imagine the computer POST-ing at all ;))

Hi again,

38 bios made no difference - same thing with the scroll bars though
It does appear that something is stopping me from seeing those options because I just tried another board without the mod and at 1.7v the scroll bar is all the way to the top of the window but on the board I have done the mod on, at 1.7 the scroll bar is only half way up so obviously the mod has done something :)

Yes, it was done on the right pins :) Otherwise the motherboard or cpu or both would be toast by now :)

It says that its based on silver conductive paint so i'm sure its the right product

Thanks

Keyan

Just a thought. When you read the documentation of Arctic Silver 3 it says it is almost non-conductive. Could it be that the resistance of the stuff you used is significantly higher than the stuff used by Mr N? In that case there would still be a significant difference in potential between the respective pins. However, there will be some leakage, which could in turn be the cause of your weird Voltage Scroll Bar behaviour

Addendum: maybe Mr N or Link2000 could measure the resistance of a 1cm strip of their stuff. If you do the same with yours you would get an idea of whether that is the cause.

Hi there

Could be, i'm not sure
The stuff is the same though, Mr N says Rear Screen Defogger Kit and this is basically what it is in the UK
Mr N's pics show its brown - the stuff I got here in UK is silver - it says its for repairing the tracks on rear windscreens for the defogger and it says its based on Silver conductive paint and is also suitable for other small electrical circuit jobs
The product definately is the same, just colour is silver not brown

I'm not sure what is causing it but the product definately seems to be the same but your explanation could be right

Thanks

Keyan

Back