• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory stress/burn-in programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedDeathDrinker

Senior Aircraftsman IRL
This is a short guide in response to the number of questions asked about Memory stress/burn-in programs.

Why do it?

The burn-in process can be used twofold. The primary reason to stress test a machine is to ensure its stability under extreme circumstances (e.g. that really important Quake3 Arena deathmatch). Sometimes, there's also a burn-in effect whereby a machine actually becomes more stable after being subjected to prolonged stress testing. Initially, the machines would be unstable when overclocked to certain speeds, needing additional cooling or voltage to achieve marginal stability. After strenuously stress testing the machines for several days (or sometimes weeks), the machine can become stable at its stock voltage without extreme cooling.

What to use?

There are several programs available, a list of which follows.....(if I have missed one, let me know, and I'll add it!)

• Memtest86 A memory test tool, with burn-in feature
  • Prime95 is a quest to find large (and I mean 10 million digit+) Prime numbers. This program is heavily memory intensive, and considered one of the more stressful burn-in programs
  • CPUburn will heavily stress your whole system, giving a good indicator of stability
  • SiSoft Sandra (the System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is an information & diagnostic utility. It should provide most of the information (including undocumented) you need to know about your hardware, software and other devices whether hardware or software. There are 58 modules in the standard(free) version, one of which is a Memory Bandwidth benchmark, and a Burn-In Wizard

Of course, this list is by no means all the programs available, and neither I or the owners of this site accept any responsibility if your system does indeed "burn" after using one of these programs........

i would like to point out that prime95 also has a built in benchmarking option

reddeathdrinker said:
This is a short guide in response to the number of questions asked about Memory stress/burn-in programs.

Why do it?

The burn-in process can be used twofold. The primary reason to stress test a machine is to ensure its stability under extreme circumstances (e.g. that really important Quake3 Arena deathmatch). Sometimes, there's also a burn-in effect whereby a machine actually becomes more stable after being subjected to prolonged stress testing. Initially, the machines would be unstable when overclocked to certain speeds, needing additional cooling or voltage to achieve marginal stability. After strenuously stress testing the machines for several days (or sometimes weeks), the machine can become stable at its stock voltage without extreme cooling.

What to use?

There are several programs available, a list of which follows.....(if I have missed one, let me know, and I'll add it!)

• Prime95 is a quest to find large (and I mean 10 million digit+) Prime numbers. This program is heavily memory intensive, and considered one of the more stressful burn-in programs
  • CPUburn will heavily stress your whole system, giving a good indicator of stability
  • SiSoft Sandra (the System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is an information & diagnostic utility. It should provide most of the information (including undocumented) you need to know about your hardware, software and other devices whether hardware or software. There are 58 modules in the standard(free) version, one of which is a Memory Bandwidth benchmark, and a Burn-In Wizard

Of course, this list is by no means all the programs available, and neither I or the owners of this site accept any responsibility if your system does indeed "burn" after using one of these programs........

I hope this is made a sticky ! It would help alot of people ! Good Call Red !

Maestro

I'd like to see it as a sticky, and if anyone else knows of other memtesting/burn in progs, please add to the list.

*EDIT* Opps, too late, it's already been stickied. But, please do add to the list if you know of any memtest/ burn in programs. NOT WAREZ!!!

Last edited:
Hot CPU Tester Pro 3

http://www.7byte.com/

Doesn't do anything for the I/O sub systems (HD, VidCard, etc.), but there are better tests for those parts. Hot CPU Tester Pro 3
really beats the heck out of the CPU, Memory controller, and RAM.

If you can last 6 hours with this, your box is good to go.

i dont understand

are you saying it should be there

becuase it is

Though not marketed as a burn-in program I find that folding at 100% is fairly good as well . But it is better for cpu burn-in more than anything else , it will also allow you to see load cpu temps while helping humanity and of course team 32 :)

I dunno how memory intensive Prime 95 is. I could run Prime 95 for over 24 hours with my RAM overclocked. But games like MOH:AA and benchmarks like 3DMark 2001 SE would crash quickly. When I put my RAM back to defualt speeds the crashes disapeared.

So to burn in your memory,what is the best way,do I run it @ defaults or what?

reddeathdrinker said:

What to use?

• I quite like Burn In Test made by pass mark software. I use v2.1, and it suits me just fine. Its strait forward, and doesnt look "cute" and "Bubble Gummy"

Question about MEMTEST

How long should I let this run to really put the memory to the test??
I know it takes a about 26 minutes to make a full pass so how many passes should I let it go through??
Just curious,

::knif_00::

usually 24 hours is good i think

reason for that
the house will go threw its full thermal cycle

like i could never figre out why my comptuer would throw up while i was away

turns out in the after noon the sun heats up my room

not directly related to overcloking but it will tell you when things blew up and you cna usually fidn out wy

Back