• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Polka Dot Girlfriend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WonderingSoul

Team 32 Folding Member
For my GFs birthday I am putting a little something together for her :) It's mostly old components from old rigs of mine and a few new things.

Starting with a fully custom case: paint job (with with polkadots) now going to have pin striping at 45deg all along the sides of the case, window cut out, other misc mods.

See post 126 for pics of the finished build

Here's the part list: Red indicates purchases, white is what I had left over from a previous rig.
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe with Evercool VC-RE Twinkling cooler on the NF4
AMD Athlon 3700+ (CABGE :bang head ) with XP-120
1GB (2x512)Corsair XMS PC3200 2-3-3-6
Dual 6600GTs with AC NV Silencer 6 - Rev. 2
FSP Blue Storm II
WD 250GB SATA HDD
Samsung DVD Burner SATA
Samsung Syncmaster 712N 17" LCD monitor.

Pics will be up soon.

Here is a shot of the original case and the original build I had for it.

Most of the same stuff that was in it, is going back in, the 3700+, the A8N-SLI D, Corsair XMS, 6600GTs (w/o coolers)
MOD_CASE_3.jpg

And yes that is my old dorm room.

Last edited:
Reserved for pics.

Here's some of the finished case in red.

DSC00521.jpg

need to paint these red as well with the polka dot design pin striping on it.

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

Last edited:
Reserved for pics.

Pics of the internals so far

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, thanks. She's a graphic arts major, so I need to throw in some nice video for her. Going out to the garage to take pics now!

I really need to do up a rig for my GF. She is always on my system, and when I go away to college in Sept, she is going to need something.

Polka dots should be good ;)

Oroka Sempai said:
I really need to do up a rig for my GF. She is always on my system, and when I go away to college in Sept, she is going to need something.

Polka dots should be good ;)

I told her no polkadots on it too! White lies ftw. Hopefully tonight/tomorrow I can get the painting done.

Then I just have to wait on packages from Petra's and Newegg. Hopefully then this weekend I will get the OC back up.

WonderingSoul said:
She wants them, I lied and told her I am not putting them on it.

ok... i was just wanting to clear that up in my head at least :eek: but hows the painting going?

and that looks like a nice FREE rig!!!

EmAn said:
ok... i was just wanting to clear that up in my head at least :eek: but hows the painting going?

and that looks like a nice FREE rig!!!

Not all free :beer: . I am only making her pay for the PSU, Video cards, Drives and monitor. Only like $400 (majority of it being the monitor).

Just free mobo, cpu, ram, coolers, case, case paints, ect ect.

WarriorII said:

The polka dots are a no-go. The dozens things I have tried to do to get it to work just isn't working. I am going to Pep-Boys tomorrow and getting pin striping. I will then stripe it. Trust me, it'll be HOT.

oooo, I forgot, I got MY only new toy today... Excuse the mess, I just moved back home from college friday so I still am a bit of a mess.
DSC00528.jpg

Last edited:
Got the whole case painted. Here's a few shots of it totally painted but assembled. I am going to bake it tonight in an oven. Or try to. So it'll be ready for assembly tomorrow and such.

Just remember, there is trim around the outside of the case window.

ATTENTION: There is pollen on the case since I let it outside in the sun today to try to harden a bit, so that is why it looks speckly.

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

I got kinda worried when I read the title. LOL. Anyway that is looking pretty good. I am sure she will love it. Most girls love gifts that are made rather than bought and you kinda put the two together.

EmAn said:
funny i dont see the spots and it looks orange!

I'm colour blind, but the paint can says Berry Red...

There are no longer going to be polkadots on this design. Since I do not have the time nor patience for tracing a quarter 50 times and cutting it out.

As said in my first post, dots are out, stripes are in.

Back