• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Water Loop - 56k Warning, Lots o' Photos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Well, it's really late and I'm freaking beat...but who can resist posting pictures of their pretty new loop?! I'm proud of the wire management finally. Previously it had been basically wire the thing together then tie stuff up and clean it. While that 'worked' in a lot of people's view, I was never satisfied. No more. This one was planned from start to finish with wire management in mind. Without major case modification, I think this is very close to the best I can do.

First, the system:
  • Biostar Tpower I45
  • Intel E8400 (E0 Stepping)
  • 2x2G G.Skill DDR2-1066 / 5-5-5-15 (F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK)
  • eVGA 8800GTX
  • Corsair TX650
  • Coolermaster RC690

Here are the parts. The loop consists of (in this order):
wcstuff.jpg

The Corsair TX650...Medusa that must be tamed.

00medusaPSU.jpg

Board prepped.

01boardprepped.jpg

Loop installed & dry.

02loopdry-nopsu.jpg

How the rad was installed.

03radinstall.jpg

Continued...

[Note to anyone getting an XSPC res top - if the bolts didn't come with yours and you're in the good ol' USA, chances are it will be hard to find them. In the US machined bolt system, they are between a 6 and an 8. There is a 7 but nobody carries it. So, if you get one without bolts, do yourself a favor and buy an 8-32 drill & tap set. Threaded #8's right in there after that. :p]

Last edited:
Leak testing while everything else gets installed.

04leaktest.jpg

Mmm....bubbly.

05bubblyres.jpg

All done!

06wholesys.jpg

Gratuitous self indulgence.

07downfromrt.jpg

08upfromrt.jpg

Pretty.

09prettyres.jpg

Last one, for good measure.

10loopcloseup.jpg

Hope you enjoyed; thanks for looking!

Unorthodox to say the least. You probably could've saved about six inches in tubing... but at least it looks different. Why did you go for yellow dye and red tubing? Mixing the yellow with blue to make green is a nice effect... but then the red tubing again... why not blue or clear tubing?

And what video card is that?

I hear you on the Corsair Medusa effect... those cables can get out of control FAST.

I hate that PSU!!! I just had a go with it when putting this new case together! Good job on the cooling. I guess you needed all that tubing out of the rear to save yourself from kinks right? I have been looking around to find the perfect water cooling set-up so its good to know why people do things a certain way, especially water cooling! Enjoy!

Joe

hmmm , turn your rad around drill couple of holes on top of the case where the barbs are and save couple of feet of tubing the one going from res to nb block is kinda long too , am sure the CM case helped with wire management , i have the same one , great job overall :)

and yeah like u sad the rad is the weak link am not sure what hardware you are running tho

Thanks for the compliments!!

Unorthodox to say the least. You probably could've saved about six inches in tubing... but at least it looks different. Why did you go for yellow dye and red tubing? Mixing the yellow with blue to make green is a nice effect... but then the red tubing again... why not blue or clear tubing?

And what video card is that?

I hear you on the Corsair Medusa effect... those cables can get out of control FAST.
That's no dye, it's straight coolant. I'm using a roughly 2:1 mixture of distilled water:antifreeze plus 1oz/liter of water wetter. It just turns out yellow'ish-green with that combo. I'm not good enough to do dye/light color coordination; those are green LEDs, they just bring out the green that's already in there.

The tubing is orange XSPC 7/16 ID and was given to me, and good tubing for free isn't something to turn down!...thankfully it matched the orange on my board. :beer:

Video card is an EVGA 8800GTX. Added specs to the 1st post, sorry about that.
I guess you needed all that tubing out of the rear to save yourself from kinks right?
hmmm , turn your rad around drill couple of holes on top of the case where the barbs are and save couple of feet of tubing
There is a method to that madness actually. When I bench, I'll remove the radiator & fans from it....then dunk it in a cooler full of ice water. So the spare tubing does serve a purpose. :attn:
the one going from res to nb block is kinda long too , am sure the CM case helped with wire management , i have the same one , great job overall :)
Yes; in hindsight that tube should have been shorter, but hey, it doesn't look bad (hopefully) and there definitely aren't going to be any kinks.

Love my CM 690!!:)

Nice job! the only thing missing is some screenshot with some temps!
Ask and ye shall receive.

At the same ambient (measured by sys temp) with my old loop, the CPU was folding at 51/52c. These temps (4-5C drop) come from removing a rad (EXOS) and adding a NB block. Nice net all told. :)

personally i like it but as charlie said you might consider re orienting the rad and saving yourself a few feet of tubing. oh and maybe reducing the amount of antifreeze. both sugestions are based on a performance standpoint and if you arnt OCing hard and just want a cool system and are happy you can completely disregard them.

personally i like it but as charlie said you might consider re orienting the rad and saving yourself a few feet of tubing. oh and maybe reducing the amount of antifreeze. both sugestions are based on a performance standpoint and if you arnt OCing hard and just want a cool system and are happy you can completely disregard them.
I OC hard when the time comes. That's the reason for the extra tubing; so I can remove the radiator & fans from it....then dunk it in a cooler full of ice water. Thanks for the tip; I'll dilute it a bit next time I have occasion to open the loop to drain some fluid.
Looks nice and clean
Looks unique and very nice Hokie! :)
Thanks. :)
Looks nice and clean, do you have temps with the GPU and CPU under load?
Didn't before but I do now. ;) Here is after just over 50min of folding, to give the loop time to warm up.

Overall I'm very pleased. :beer:

Impressive work, buddy. I wish I could see your wire management in the back... curious what it looks like. :)

Thanks; that means a lot coming from the g0dM@n himself! If I ever have time, I'll take it off and take a pic for you. To give you an idea, it took me no less than five minutes of fighting to get the panel back on. :eek:

Thanks; that means a lot coming from the g0dM@n himself! If I ever have time, I'll take it off and take a pic for you. To give you an idea, it took me no less than five minutes of fighting to get the panel back on. :eek:

Haha, thanks. :) My old days of tweaking seem to have dulled out a bit. I'm more of the set it and forget it now with a 24/7 good overclock.

As for the fighting to get the panel on, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. You must have done it similar to how I did.

Did you cut holes behind the motherboard yourself? That's what I had to do with my old case. My current one I didn't really bother for making it look super nice. I just grew lazier and lazier, but definitely use zip ties and such so that it doesn't look nasty, and so that airflow will not be greatly affected.

Shame my wiring lack of effort with ya fancy fruity loops #Chuckles#

its got an almost cycadelic happiness about it with the board colours, pipes `n juice.

V nice :clap:

(note. I sorted most my cables when the new PSU turned up, so you need not have the nightmares anymore ;))

Haha, thanks. :) My old days of tweaking seem to have dulled out a bit. I'm more of the set it and forget it now with a 24/7 good overclock.

As for the fighting to get the panel on, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. You must have done it similar to how I did.

Did you cut holes behind the motherboard yourself? That's what I had to do with my old case. My current one I didn't really bother for making it look super nice. I just grew lazier and lazier, but definitely use zip ties and such so that it doesn't look nasty, and so that airflow will not be greatly affected.
The CM 690 is such a great case, I didn't HAVE to cut anything behind the MB. There is already a hole at the top for the 8-pin CPU cable as well as the one to put the PSU's cables through on the bottom. There is one for the audio lead already, which is the one I used to route my fan control wires outside the case through the open PCI slot...and that let it be pretty much invisible.

I have cut two holes - one giant square behind the CPU socket so I never have to R&I the MB again for cooler change (became angry and did it in a fit of rage during the last forum wars) and I drilled out one wire-tie location that was built in, to make the USB and switch/LED headers closer to the bottom of the board.

Back