• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, ordering parts on 5th

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ronbert

So this is what I ended up with...

BIOSTAR TA890FXE (Mobo)
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE --> Changed to: 955 C3
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 2x2GB
GTX 460 1GB (EVGA) --> Changed to: HD 5850
750W Corsair PSU --> Changed to: Corsair 550W

Should be a monster for budget gaming :) If you guys have any last minute suggestions that might save a couple bucks but provide better or on par results let me know! When the parts are ordered and built I'll be sure to post pictures.

Last edited:
Aside from soiling it with an Nvidia card :D ...I like it, lol! Good budget build, beuno bang-for-buck.

Oh, and when you go to order...if you use NewEgg, there is always a combo deal with that motherboard, $35-$40 off sometimes when bundled with a CPU. Only other thing, if your tight on money, the 955BE is a few bucks cheaper and from what I have seen will keep up with the 965BE in most "normal" overclocks. Don't expect 4ghz out of it without some flogging, but with a good cooler I'd say 3.6-3.8ghz is within your range.

If you could buy some cooler for that PII would be the best choice, and maybe a good case for airflow

I'd get a C3 955 rather then the 965, same OCing by and large but they cost less.

The PSU is overkill, go for a corsair 550w to save on price.

Guys excellent! Thank you for the posts I'm going to revise the order with a 955 C3 and also Matt glad to you see you posting in my threads again been a long time buddy! What PSU would you recommend because any money saved is extra money towards a good after market cooler!

Thank you all for the great suggestions :D

Scratch that just took a look at the 550 Corsair great save thank you guys so much!

Given the money saved you should be able to afford a megahalems cooler. Doesn't really get better then that.
The Corsair H50 matches it though, depending on the prices it's a toss up.

Triple-check that the GTX 460 is the lifetime warranty version, and don't forget to register it. If you ever get into GPU folding, you'll beat on that card like nobody's business. There *are* two versions, one with the lifetime warranty, and one with a two-year.

+1 750w is overkill save and purchase corsair 550w or SeaSonic 620W, also the lifetime warranty on EVGA is AR at the end of the product model number, and you need to register in 30 days to achieve the full warranty.:cool:

Last edited:
Noted guys thank you for the heads up I will make sure it's both lifetime warranty and registered in plenty of time :)

UPDATE: Glad you guys had me check the one in my cart was NOT the lifetime warranty one the lifetime warranty costs a whole $10 extra so that sounds like one hell of a deal to me. Also why does everyone give a negative review on newegg when something arrives DOA?... I mean I know it sucks and upsets people but it's not like the DOA won't be replaced.

WOW Check out that deal, I've had a 550 Rosewill for a while and it done me well plenty of amps on the +12 rail and 2+6 pin connectors.

Last edited:
Noted guys thank you for the heads up I will make sure it's both lifetime warranty and registered in plenty of time :)

UPDATE: Glad you guys had me check the one in my cart was NOT the lifetime warranty one the lifetime warranty costs a whole $10 extra so that sounds like one hell of a deal to me. Also why does everyone give a negative review on newegg when something arrives DOA?... I mean I know it sucks and upsets people but it's not like the DOA won't be replaced.

WOW Check out that deal, I've had a 550 Rosewill for a while and it done me well plenty of amps on the +12 rail and 2+6 pin connectors.

Dude, there should be a thread dedicated to all the ridiculous stuff I have read in new egg reviews...grain of salt, lol. Uh...I dunno much about that Rosewill, Caveat emptor!

Dude, there should be a thread dedicated to all the ridiculous stuff I have read in new egg reviews...grain of salt, lol.

I know the thread lol saw a funny on where the guy is talking about his PSU smoking and says then when it first happened he thought "Sweet this is Satans power supply!" I laughed so hard.

No problem; I had the same mistake when I bought my GTX 260.

One thing I find good about newegg reviews is when I have the same problem that everyone else is having, I return it or don't buy it, to begin with.

One thing I find good about newegg reviews is when I have the same problem that everyone else is having, I return it or don't buy it, to begin with.

+1

Strike everything read, list will not be changed at all, everything you guys have told me to do I will be sticking with. I came to my sense and decided switching the entire build around just to compensate for Sli would be a waste.

So the list will remain...
955 C3
RJ 1600Mhz 2X2GB
GTX 460 --> Changed to HD 5850 (XFX)
550W Corsair
and the Biostar Mobo

Thank you all for helping me out :D

Last edited:
Back